Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our move to Australia - with hindsight a financial disaster?

Our move to Australia - with hindsight a financial disaster?

Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:57 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Our move to Australia - with hindsight a financial disaster?

Originally Posted by neil248
It is now 2010, how can a family house in an area people want to live be worth AU $150,000.

That is probably a minimum figure to build something acceptable and then it has to sit on a serviced block of land with all that that entails and then the builder has to make a profit just like anyone else. Surely a new family house has to cost around $340,000 minimum to produce.
It's all relative. Land prices are sky high at the moment, and building costs are high too.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:31 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone moving to aussie for financial reasons is a nutter .............
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:16 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Depends what the job situation in your home country is like
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Plenty of us have never had it as good, but really most people move to Australia for the lifestyle... and they still expect to make it quids in.

I think they been watching too many episodes of wanted down under, they want the big house in the best location for a price which is probably 3 years out of date.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
It is now 2010, how can a family house in an area people want to live be worth AU $150,000.

That is probably a minimum figure to build something acceptable and then it has to sit on a serviced block of land with all that that entails and then the builder has to make a profit just like anyone else. Surely a new family house has to cost around $340,000 minimum to produce.
Less than 10 years ago, average houses in average suburbs in Perth were costing around A$150k. Add on 30% for inflation since then and you have about A$200k. The economy was reasonably healthy around the year 2000 so you have to ask what's changed since then.

There are various ways to look at whether real estate is overpriced but these include: a. ratio of average prices to average incomes (anything over 5 is problematic) and b. looking at prices versus rentals (a house should normally sell for 14 times the rental in most markets).
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree. We did - and it worked out.

A professional, higher professional with a goodish home with equity in London and the SE might still do quite well, I think.

But it is certainly the hardest it has ever been this last 10 years.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:11 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Depends what the job situation in your home country is like
yes very true , i made far more in australia but my debt was way higher ,so i was forced to work . In the uk my debt is low ,so the neccesity to work isnt there . Mainly due to far cheaper property prices .
Its just my experience as im living in a cheaper area [poole] ,which in my opion is way more beautiful and full of things to do than perth ever was ,so for me it was a no brainer , less income ,smaller house ,dont work so hard ,better place in my opinion.
Sure theres cheap places in aussie ,ie mukinbuddin but for me hardly the ideal compared to dorset .
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:13 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Disagree. We did - and it worked out.

A professional, higher professional with a goodish home with equity in London and the SE might still do quite well, I think.

But it is certainly the hardest it has ever been this last 10 years.
i agree , you do need SE equity to have any life in australia these days .
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I had SE equity but still lost out thanks to the exchange rate......you can't win!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough

I suppose now would be a bad time to come to oz, what with the exchange rate, we came in 2006 so our money was worth alot more here, and we live in a house we could never afford in the south west of the UK, as for Jobs, we both earn more than we did in the uk, and do a lot less for it too, even if Australia worked out the same cost of living as the UK, we would still come here, its warmer, and overall a better place to live, no worries as the Ozy's, UK is a place to visit these days, but not to live there, its lost s its identity, and no one gives a toss about being British, hail the frence for banning the burka, in the UK, it would be more like we now have to wear the burka to please the Muslins...

And the most important thing to do, is dont come to OZ, and winge about things...
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

As said above really depends on a lot of circumstances. Anyone working in Engingeering or mining would add a substantial amount to their pay check by emigrating from UK to Oz for instance, more than making up for any increases in costs of living. Horses for courses......
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

yes very true , i made far more in australia but my debt was way higher ,so i was forced to work . In the uk my debt is low ,so the neccesity to work isnt there . Mainly due to far cheaper property prices .
Its just my experience as im living in a cheaper area [poole] ,which in my opion is way more beautiful and full of things to do than perth ever was ,so for me it was a no brainer , less income ,smaller house ,dont work so hard ,better place in my opinion.
Sure theres cheap places in aussie ,ie mukinbuddin but for me hardly the ideal compared to dorset .

...but...what is it with you people less then impressed with Australia and your spaces between the last word in the sentence and the full-stop. I can point to so many people over the years....

Don't tell me this is where you came unstuck looking for work....