Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our move to Australia - with hindsight a financial disaster?

Our move to Australia - with hindsight a financial disaster?

Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:41 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our move to Australia - with hindsight a financial disaster?

Originally Posted by MrCro
There's a great Australian saying "more arse than class"

Meaning more lucky than as planned as I understand it.

All my luck is proper brown stuff from the arse too so you are not alone my friend!

I could have bought in Sydney in 1991 and rented it out whilst back in UK and could have bought a house for $70k that now fetches $600+ But then what's the point of thinking that now.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but a bitch when you start to think about things, we just need to crack on and enjoy this short life we have!
Well said. No point in looking back.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:51 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Just been thinking about our move to Australia.

We moved in 2005.

At that time we had about $60K savings and a UK house valued at GBP150K.

We had an offer for the house of 140K GBP but turned it down. Exchange rate at that time was about $2.60 to the pound.

We could have bought the house that we are currently living in (in Perth) in late 2005 for about $300K.

We delayed buying. Delayed and delayed and watched the house prices in Perth rocket.

We bought 6 months ago. The house cost us $500K.
Our house in the UK is now worth 135K GBP at best (i.e. 5K less than 5 years ago) and the exchange rate is now $1.70 to the pound.

On top of this, if I was doing the job that I'm doing now in the UK I'd be earning about 70K GBP. Here I'm earning about about 58K GBP equivalent.

We'd also be able to live in a significantly better house in the UK for the price we paid for the one we're in in Perth. 250K GBP buys you a decent house in the Midlands.

I'm trying not to have any regrets but it does kind of make you go "Ouch!" if you think too hard about it.
I'm so sorry to hear that, but sometimes life is a bit of a lottery

We left in 2005 as well and sold our house in the UK. We had it on the market at $395k and tried to keep it very quiet that we were emigrating as we didn't want anyone to use the emigration timescal as a way of bidding us down.

It didn't work and we ended up taking $20k less becuse the buyers found out we were going to Oz and on a tight schedule (loose lipped estate agent). A little disappointing, but we were embarking on a new chapter of our life and the exchange rate was 2.4 AUD to GBP anyway.

We lived in the Midlands and I certaily wouldn't exchange what I have now to move back there.

Good luck
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

It’s all about financial dislocation. I moved to California not long ago and very short term I am looking at sending 1 USD: 1 AUD which is going to suck (I have a sizeable investment in Australia). However that’s how it is.

The exchange rate movement is all about a ‘cycle’. Remember GFC = UK is **c*ed up. Australia did not enter into technical recession which meant strong AUD. Add to that property shortage and massive immigration & inflow of foreign investment.

I can not predict where exchange rates go but longer term, GBP won’t say where it is now. Unfortunately, you perhaps immigrated at a time when it was strong and it’s gone sough. Remember, flip side is you are getting more GBP than in 2004/05.

Regarding buying a house, no idea about you but my thinking is to get own house first before I pi$$ away money at expensive cars, clothes, pub etc – not saying you do but just sharing my logic I guess.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, that wonderful thing called hindsight!

If we had had the "sight" we would have sold up in 2007 when we left when the pound was 2.48 and before the housing boom here in Mellie!

So instead we sold last year (got a good price considering the market) then as you know we played the waiting game on the pound because when we sold it was $2 and thought nah.....it will go up soon ha ha ha ha ha as you know it plummeted and we exchanged the bulk at 1.80 only because we had decided to build a house.

Some people have suggested it was the wrong time to buy but like NKSK after 3 years we are fed up with the restrictions of renting and if we are going to be here a few years now we may as well our own mortgage off rather than someone elses.

So for us yes it's been a financial disaster because we had a good amount of equity and have lost a lot in the exchange rate but tbh it was driving me nuts studying the markets each day to see which way the pound was going and what was affecting it and I was wasting a lot of time doing it! So bye bye pool and hello bigger mortgage.

Still our new house is coming on a treat and will be lovely! We decided to build because we needed specifics for working at home and our business and also the less stamp duty and FTBG were incentives to build.

I guess folks you just do whatever you think is best at the time, the world is too volatile these days to guess what will happen down the track. Some people win, some loose - we're gutted we lost but in some ways it was our own fault for not burning our bridges when we left but then the pound had never been below 2.20 in the 10 years we'd been coming to Oz so never really entertained it going below! Ahem........c'est la vie!

The our other problem has been setting ourselves up in business which of course takes a while to grow and get back on your feet.

Still I have more pressing problems now like trying to find a new sofa....!

KK
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hindsight, omg, what we would do if we had it? Actually maybe nothing at all and where would the fun be in that?

We sold a UK house in 2005 for an amazing profit, the exchange rate was in our favour, but we didn't move to Oz then, we bought another house in the UK seeking something that we felt our lives were missing - mistake number 1, we should have moved to Oz then!

We sold our UK house in 2008 and moved our money over when the rate was about 2.05 only to find 2 months later it went back up to 2.75, so big mistake number 2, we should have been patient and waited!

We moved to Tasmania, beautiful island, gob smacking scenery, no crowds, etc but backward, even by Oz's standards, and lack of anything vaguely modern and 21st century! Bought a house after six months because we felt unsettled and thought it would help, hate the house, hasn't increased in price in the last 2 years at all - mistake number 3

So with the benefit of hindsight we may have done things in a different order, making us financially better off, but with hindsight we might never have moved here at all and even with all the negatives, my life feels richer for all the things we have seen and experienced so maybe that is all that really counts after all.

Sam
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

With the benefits of hindsight I probably wouldn't have bothered at all.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you spend all your time fretting about what happened in the past you'll be too busy to notice what's happening in your present and your future.

Going over old ground and wishing for what might have been makes people bitter and miserable.

Move on, thank your lucky stars for what you have. Every time I go to moan about something I think of what I have... wonderful husband, gorgeous children, we're all healthy, money to pay the bills...

There's many people who would love the problems some of people have, you know? "Oh damn, my £100k only got me $170k instead of $260k, poor me."

Concentrate on your present and your future, they're all that matters really.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 12:25 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Don't think about it then.

In 10 years your luck could have swung the other way... and you will look back and think how silly you were worrying about it.

exactly... swings and roundabouts.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of my many reasons for bailing out of the property market. (Perth).

We got lucky, bought 8 years ago, exchange rate was good and could afford a nice house in nice suburb easily with a small deposit on one average wage and 2 kids. It was a no brainer compared to our life in UK, our life would be immensely better, less hours spent working, nicer house in nicer suburb, better schools than UK.

Now the game has COMPLETELY changed - there's just no fat in migrating to Australia as the difference in house prices and exchange rate means too many people will give up on coming here, unless it changes and don't even get me going on the cost of living now. I can see a slowdown of people trying to get here, it's priced itself out.

Sure, plenty of Poms would love to give Aus a go and migrate but the bottom line is can they now afford it? Having no money and worrying about debt is no way to start a better life - I'm seeing this all the time now from new migrants. Remember, the average dwelling price in UK is $300K AUD, here it's $460K - big difference if you haven't managed to build up a load of equity in UK which I'm sure the younger migrants wouldn't of done.

Dont worry NKSK, we all have hindsight regrets but your time will come.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla

exactly... swings and roundabouts.
..but plenty of people get permanently shafted on the see-saw.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:41 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
This is one of my many reasons for bailing out of the property market. (Perth).

We got lucky, bought 8 years ago, exchange rate was good and could afford a nice house in nice suburb easily with a small deposit on one average wage and 2 kids. It was a no brainer compared to our life in UK, our life would be immensely better, less hours spent working, nicer house in nicer suburb, better schools than UK.

Now the game has COMPLETELY changed - there's just no fat in migrating to Australia as the difference in house prices and exchange rate means too many people will give up on coming here, unless it changes and don't even get me going on the cost of living now. I can see a slowdown of people trying to get here, it's priced itself out.

Sure, plenty of Poms would love to give Aus a go and migrate but the bottom line is can they now afford it? Having no money and worrying about debt is no way to start a better life - I'm seeing this all the time now from new migrants. Remember, the average dwelling price in UK is $300K AUD, here it's $460K - big difference if you haven't managed to build up a load of equity in UK which I'm sure the younger migrants wouldn't of done.

Dont worry NKSK, we all have hindsight regrets but your time will come.
I'd say your right, we 'lost' a lot of equity last year when we sold in the UK. Looking at realestate in the same area now, we would have got less. I've decided that we were lucky.

We're in 'cheap' SA and I know a financial advisor who says most of the mortgages he is doing are for $400k (House @ $450k, $50k deposit). Many people he knows came to SA five years ago with £100,000 and that bought their house with no mortgage which has now doubled in price.

It has made us start planning for the future and sorting out UK pensions and super here. I'd recommend anyone moving out to get financial advice and decide what they think is best for them.

NSK, I have lived most of my life thinking what if and I've decided it's a waste of time. Took me most of my 45 years to realise this.

Funny thing is, we rarely look at the best decisions we made. My wife made a great one in marrying me

Cooler
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
..but plenty of people get permanently shafted on the see-saw.
And there's always a big bloke hogging the best swing.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

With the benefit of hindsight I'd be walking behind more attractive women.

If that is possible.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

All good points that I can completely relate to.

I hope you feel happier/more settled now that you have committed to your own property. Personally, the attractions of Perth were never that great to overcome the ridiculousness of the OVERALL rise in house prices across the city (the effect whereby pushy RE agents forced prices up across the board, regardless of location/quality of housing stock) I also found it depressing that anything with a backyard already had the value of that backyard as a potential development site priced in when all we wanted was green space for our kids.

Good luck and stay positive

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
A couple of reasons:

1. Our rental was up (landlord wanted the house for his mother) and the thought of moving yet again to what would be the fourth rental in 4 years with the attendant guilt feelings towards the kids (who have never been able to do what they wanted to their bedrooms) and spouse made me feel sick. The indignity of renting really got to me - must have been those 20 something RE dimwits who inspected our living arrangements every 3 months.

2. Started a new job that I knew would need at least 3 years of commitment. I could just about justify buying a house for 3 years but if I'd waited much longer the expense would mean that I would really need to rent for the 3 years.

But I still think that Perth house prices are an absolute joke. I'm now hoping though that they don't collapse - unlike what I hoped for a year ago.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbike
Personally, the attractions of Perth were never that great to overcome the ridiculousness of the OVERALL rise in house prices across the city
Well said, glad it's not just me who thinks exactly that. Perth is nice but not that nice for what it costs now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.