Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our first year.... has flown!

Our first year.... has flown!

Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:07 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our first year.... has flown!

Wow

So pleased your first year has gone so well, it's really nice to hear success stories, or for anyone like me bricking it and waiting and stresses it's great to hear that all this and the move is well worth it.

Good luck with your house move
Let us know how your going on once your all settled in

Jen
Old Sep 14th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

lovely post, has cheered me up no end in my limbo state, cheers! Hope the move goes well
Old Sep 14th 2006, 1:52 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Great update. Best wishes for your new life, in your new home. Enjoy.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 9:57 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for your kind wishes. Will give an update from a homeowner's perspective when we are settled in!
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:56 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by binbird
Yes, it is exactly 12 months since we landed on Australian soil, me, hubby and three young daughters. Anybody who has children will know how quickly a year goes by but this year has been quicker than any previous year!

All the things that you have to do when you first get here seem so much of a distant memory (i.e medicare, tax file number, sorting out somewhere to rent, cars to buy, schools etc etc). The most stressful thing was finding a rental but that is because I am very choosy and maybe down to the fact that neither of us had jobs. Offering to pay six months in advance soon did the trick for us though.

Hubby had a complete career change from financial services to car sales and I went back to work (part time) after 8 years of being at home with the children. We are busier than we ever were in the UK which is possibly why there hasn't been any time for homesickness. On the whole life is good though I am still adjusting to hubby not being about as much as he used to be as he works weekends on a rota.

I must admit to feeling the cold over the winter - I really didn't think it got cold in Australia - how wrong could I be?! Temperature wise it really hasn't been that cold, it's just the houses aren't built with the insulation or heating systems that we are used to. But even on a "cold" day you still get that huge clear blue sky (most of the time!)

My experience of schools and the education system so far is all positive. My girls are 8, 7 and 5 and go off each day very happily. There seems to be so many fun-packed activities, projects and excursions that I feel that my children are really being allowed to relish their childhood much more than they could in the UK. Long may it continue as kids are not kids long enough in my mind.

We are wrapping up our first year with a house purchase - we take possession of our new home next Monday (18 September). I should really be packing another box instead of typing this up but I am preparing for computer withdrawal symptoms as we will be without the internet for 3-4 days next week!

I feel so lucky to have settled in such a lovely spot and our new house is only a 10 minute drive from where we have been renting so everything that we have spent the last year getting acquainted with will still be on our doorstep.

There are lots of things that are "different" here of course, but I have coped with "different" on all the foreign holidays we have ever been on. It never got me down for that 2 or 3 week period which is why I just accept that you make your choices from what is available here. OK, so I whinged about not being able to get "night-nurse" but I was sick so in my books that's allowed!

In summary, I am really pleased with the way our first year has turned out and I feel even more excited about the year to come in our own home.

Hope this gives anyone waiting for visas or for the house to sell before you can move (like we had to wait), a taste of your new life waiting just around the corner. . . .

Binbird
Hi Binbird,
Nice to hear that things have been so great for you. We are a few weeks short of a year and are loving it too. We had the first 3 months in Brissie but then moved to Bundaberg on 1st January. We were so sure Bundy was for us that we had bought and moved in by 20th Feb. Supply teaching here was a little bit slow to start with but now I never have any days off and do a lot of contract work. I'm off to camp on Tuesday with the class I'm teaching at the moment. Andrew worked when we first got here but then we both agreed that he should give that up so that he could renovate our house. Now it's almost done he has gone back to work.
Neither of us has felt homesick or has any desire at the moment to visit the UK.
Hope you house move goes well.
Love and hugs
Sarah