Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our First Xmas in Oz

Our First Xmas in Oz

Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of
Default Re: Our First Xmas in Oz

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
OH will be away, so probably just be me and the cat.
Your always welcome at our ever so happy household lol
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of

Oh blimey Tracey, I'll be opening a cask, sod the choccies. Our son got some good English DVD's for Xmas (says she who chose them), so I will have a choice. He and his girlfriend will be at a posh wedding in the city with her family, so no taxi run for me. Oh what fun I'll have.
Hey even better thought i will leave my ever so happy household and come to yours with Justin Timberlake live in concert dvd, chocolates, wine and even more wine!!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:43 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Reid Family
Your always welcome at our ever so happy household lol
It's a long walk....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:44 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh blimey Tracey, I'll be opening a cask, sod the choccies. Our son got some good English DVD's for Xmas (says she who chose them), so I will have a choice. He and his girlfriend will be at a posh wedding in the city with her family, so no taxi run for me. Oh what fun I'll have.
You go girl
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:44 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey even better thought i will leave my ever so happy household and come to yours with Justin Timberlake live in concert dvd, chocolates, wine and even more wine!!
Start walking then, you should get here by Easter.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Start walking then, you should get here by Easter.
On my way watch out for the mad woman with sore feet, melted chocolate, empty wine bottles and dvd in hand lol

God this website cheers you up lol
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:50 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by TraceyW
You go girl
I shall too. I'll give him working away again on NYE. I'll show the barsteward I can pour my own drinks thanks.

On my way watch out for the mad woman with sore feet, melted chocolate, empty wine bottles and dvd in hand lol

God this website cheers you up lol
Eat the choc before it melts, it'll give you energy and you might get here quicker. Got plenty here, Thorntons, Quality Street, Roses, Belgian Choc's etc.etc. and I'm not a choccie fan.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

I shall too. I'll give him working away again on NYE. I'll show the barsteward I can pour my own drinks thanks.

Eat the choc before it melts, it'll give you energy and you might get here quicker. Got plenty here, Thorntons, Quality Street, Roses, Belgian Choc's etc.etc. and I'm not a choccie fan.
Hey i am already on my way with half a bottle of wine drunken already, half the chocolate is gone and my feet are killing me already lol
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:58 am
'In limboland'

Hey i am already on my way with half a bottle of wine drunken already, half the chocolate is gone and my feet are killing me already lol
Do you have a map?
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Do you have a map?
No i have took my sat nav with me and hoping for the best

and with my sense of direction i will see you in the year 2010 hahaha
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

DARREN1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

and it was rubbish rubbish rubbish!!!!!! Both myself and my hubby were miserable as sin as we missed everyone at home so so much, the kids had a great time opening their presents but wanted to know when we could go to the beach!! Of course the weather was that bloody miserable that we hung off and hung off hoping it would clear but it didn't however they were quite happy playing with their new toys.

I spent most of the day tidying up and reading my new book and hubby spent most of the day watching tv and messing around on the computer.

Certainly not the xmas we both imagined and not the same as how we spent it at home but such is life! They say that the first xmas is the hardest and by god are they right!! Lets hope next year is a hell of a lot better!!!

Right that is me finished ranting and raving hope you all had a lovely xmas
Sonds a lot like our first chrismas only the wife started crying when the little one gave her a christmas present and that started her off as well, ohh what a happy day it was, been here since the 5th of December and the wifes counting the days till she can go on holiday to the UK in 2009, but we both understood the first christmas was going to be the worst, lets hope the next ones going to be better
Thats my little whinge out of the way hope you all have a happy new year
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Our first Christmas in Oz was last year and it was a wash out, this year we invited friends round and we had a great time. In fact I would rank it as one of the best Christmas days we have ever had. Hope we can do the same next year.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Well we had our first christmas in Oz and loved it. Weather was pretty cool (Gold Coast) but perfect really as it was not too hot. BBQ on the beach with swordfish steaks, shrimps and steaks, salads prepared by the girls followed by swimming in the sea and cricket. Best for years instead of rainy cold blighty.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:44 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

and it was rubbish rubbish rubbish!!!!!! Both myself and my hubby were miserable as sin as we missed everyone at home so so much, the kids had a great time opening their presents but wanted to know when we could go to the beach!! Of course the weather was that bloody miserable that we hung off and hung off hoping it would clear but it didn't however they were quite happy playing with their new toys.

I spent most of the day tidying up and reading my new book and hubby spent most of the day watching tv and messing around on the computer.

Certainly not the xmas we both imagined and not the same as how we spent it at home but such is life! They say that the first xmas is the hardest and by god are they right!! Lets hope next year is a hell of a lot better!!!

Right that is me finished ranting and raving hope you all had a lovely xmas
If it makes you feel any better, I was walking around today in Herefordshire thinking how I can't wait to be back in the warm for Xmas. Here still in UK for another 4 months and I have all this time off over Xmas and NOTHING to do except eat and watch incredibly bad TV. The weather outside is cold and yuk, and all the brown-green muddy ground blends in with the brown trees and the grey sky. What I would do for the option of being in Oz where as least you have a chance of the beach if the weather improves... Or to go for a long walk and not have to take the coat and scarf.

Being from NZ myself, I still really miss the folks at Xmas time, so I understand how hard it is. Skype and a good webcam really helps - nothing like speaking to loved ones to make you feel happier.

It WILL get easier - I have been away from my family for the most part of 10 years, and while I have a husband and his family in the UK for the past few years it's not the same. What can help to make things better for you might be to start a new Xmas tradition. My family in NZ used to go to some charity horse races at a golf course on Boxing Day, always a good excuse to get out and eat leftovers; or two years ago I borrowed a friends tradition of having Xmas morning Bailey's coffee - however I have almost now made that a 'every weekend' tradition Adapt a new tradition that your family can do (and only do) in Australia and you may be able to appreciate the new year a little better. Having a nice seafood BBQ is something you might never do in the UK during Xmas?

Hope your New Year goes better!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

bevgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to be honest with you, but we have just returned to the UK after three years for our first English christmas with family and its been the best ever. We did give it out best shot in Oz, but it was not for us. You cant beat an English chrimbo!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.