Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our experience so far

Wikiposts

Our experience so far

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Our experience so far

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Might be of use to some...useless to others...still here goes...

To set the scene: Rob and Sam (mid 20's, no kids, no jobs to go to, never been to Oz).

Flew out via the states 7 weeks ago. 128kg bag allowance, then took on another 20kg in carry on and never got stopped or paid extra, etc

Got upgraded to exit seats on our BA Heathrow to LA flight. Perfect flight, staff were friendly, food was good, drank too much complimentary alcohol, had a headache!

LAX - airport is a dump but only there for 5 hours. 2 hours queing to get through immigration.

Qantas flight then straight on to Brisbane - again perfect. Brisbane airport was the start of things to come - clean, friendly, efficient.

Got straight into a taxi to our pre-booked West End Cental apartments (£190 for four nights) just off Melbourne Street. OK accomodation and facilities. West End is quite 'hippy' so not for everyone's taste.

Slept most of the day when we landed. Got up just long enough to see two abbos having a fight outside Coles!

Started ringing around to find somewhere to live longer term (hoping to rent for 6-12 months). Managed to track down a 1 bed fully furnished apartment at the Riviera apartments by South Bank.

Paying $1440 a month for it, and with a view that we've got, worth every penny (http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=34281).

Sent a cv prior to leaving the uk (I work in PR). Got an email in just the second week here, asking me to go to an interview. Found out last week I got the job - yippeee. Wage is £7,000 more than I was on in the UK (not bragging - just demonstrating that wages aren't always lower over here!)

Sam has got some supply teaching lined up and will be on pretty much the same wage.

Brisbane is light years ahead of the UK in most circumstances. The whole city and suburbs (that we've seen) are clean, people are friendly and efficient (sometimes a little too laid back perhaps!)

Bought a second hand car - dead cheap. Bought some body boards and have made the short drive (45 mins) to the Gold Coast to take in the rays and spend the day in the sea.

Not seen any creepy crawlies yet (apart from at the Zoo).

Could go on forever, however, the following is our humble top line opinion on life in Brisbane, based on the sort of questions that always appear on this forum:

Cost of living - pretty much on a par with the UK for day to day stuff (Coles shopping, eating out, etc).

Rent / mortage: on a par with the UK for city centre living. Buying/renting in the suburbs is dead cheap.

Recreational activities: more to choose from than in the uk, thanks mainly to the good weather. Most things are free/cheap and there is plenty of things to occupy people who are willing to try new things.

Choice of items: There aren't as many healthy prepackaged food goods in the supermarkets, but other than that there's loads of options. Loads of choice of cars, but loads of Holden, Ford, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Toyota.

Lack of 'pubs' but plenty of places to eat and drink.

Queensland has a lot to offer anyone who comes over. Not got homesick cos there's far too much to do.

Rob
Hi Rob & Sam,

Great to hear that you are both settling in, I can't believe it has been 7 weeks since you left, where has that time gone. Congrats on the jobs its excellent news, last time I spoke to Sharon and Phil you were still waiting to hear if you had got it or not.

Just knew that you would love it out there (who wouldn't).

Keep us posted with how things are going.

Claire

Pics are great!