Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our experience so far

Wikiposts

Our experience so far

Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:57 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Our experience so far

Might be of use to some...useless to others...still here goes...

To set the scene: Rob and Sam (mid 20's, no kids, no jobs to go to, never been to Oz).

Flew out via the states 7 weeks ago. 128kg bag allowance, then took on another 20kg in carry on and never got stopped or paid extra, etc

Got upgraded to exit seats on our BA Heathrow to LA flight. Perfect flight, staff were friendly, food was good, drank too much complimentary alcohol, had a headache!

LAX - airport is a dump but only there for 5 hours. 2 hours queing to get through immigration.

Qantas flight then straight on to Brisbane - again perfect. Brisbane airport was the start of things to come - clean, friendly, efficient.

Got straight into a taxi to our pre-booked West End Cental apartments (£190 for four nights) just off Melbourne Street. OK accomodation and facilities. West End is quite 'hippy' so not for everyone's taste.

Slept most of the day when we landed. Got up just long enough to see two abbos having a fight outside Coles!

Started ringing around to find somewhere to live longer term (hoping to rent for 6-12 months). Managed to track down a 1 bed fully furnished apartment at the Riviera apartments by South Bank.

Paying $1440 a month for it, and with a view that we've got, worth every penny (http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=34281).

Sent a cv prior to leaving the uk (I work in PR). Got an email in just the second week here, asking me to go to an interview. Found out last week I got the job - yippeee. Wage is £7,000 more than I was on in the UK (not bragging - just demonstrating that wages aren't always lower over here!)

Sam has got some supply teaching lined up and will be on pretty much the same wage.

Brisbane is light years ahead of the UK in most circumstances. The whole city and suburbs (that we've seen) are clean, people are friendly and efficient (sometimes a little too laid back perhaps!)

Bought a second hand car - dead cheap. Bought some body boards and have made the short drive (45 mins) to the Gold Coast to take in the rays and spend the day in the sea.

Not seen any creepy crawlies yet (apart from at the Zoo).

Could go on forever, however, the following is our humble top line opinion on life in Brisbane, based on the sort of questions that always appear on this forum:

Cost of living - pretty much on a par with the UK for day to day stuff (Coles shopping, eating out, etc).

Rent / mortage: on a par with the UK for city centre living. Buying/renting in the suburbs is dead cheap.

Recreational activities: more to choose from than in the uk, thanks mainly to the good weather. Most things are free/cheap and there is plenty of things to occupy people who are willing to try new things.

Choice of items: There aren't as many healthy prepackaged food goods in the supermarkets, but other than that there's loads of options. Loads of choice of cars, but loads of Holden, Ford, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Toyota.

Lack of 'pubs' but plenty of places to eat and drink.

Queensland has a lot to offer anyone who comes over. Not got homesick cos there's far too much to do.

Rob
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:03 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Our experience so far

Originally Posted by samnrob2

To set the scene: Rob and Sam (mid 20's, no kids, no jobs to go to, never been to Oz).

Flew out via the states 7 weeks ago. 128kg bag allowance, then took on another 20kg in carry on and never got stopped or paid extra, etc

Got upgraded to exit seats on our BA Heathrow to LA flight. Perfect flight, staff were friendly, food was good, drank too much complimentary alcohol, had a headache!

LAX - airport is a dump but only there for 5 hours. 2 hours queing to get through immigration.

Qantas flight then straight on to Brisbane - again perfect. Brisbane airport was the start of things to come - clean, friendly, efficient.

Got straight into a taxi to our pre-booked West End Cental apartments (£190 for four nights) just off Melbourne Street. OK accomodation and facilities. West End is quite 'hippy' so not for everyone's taste.

Slept most of the day when we landed. Got up just long enough to see two abbos having a fight outside Coles!

Started ringing around to find somewhere to live longer term (hoping to rent for 6-12 months). Managed to track down a 1 bed fully furnished apartment at the Riviera apartments by South Bank.

Paying $1440 a month for it, and with a view that we've got, worth every penny (http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=34281).

Sent a cv prior to leaving the uk (I work in PR). Got an email in just the second week here, asking me to go to an interview. Found out last week I got the job - yippeee. Wage is £7,000 more than I was on in the UK (not bragging - just demonstrating that wages aren't always lower over here!)

Sam has got some supply teaching lined up and will be on pretty much the same wage.

Brisbane is light years ahead of the UK in most circumstances. The whole city and suburbs (that we've seen) are clean, people are friendly and efficient (sometimes a little too laid back perhaps!)

Bought a second hand car - dead cheap. Bought some body boards and have made the short drive (45 mins) to the Gold Coast to take in the rays and spend the day in the sea.

Could go on forever, however, the following is our humble top line opinion on life in Brisbane, based on the sort of questions that always appear on this forum:

Cost of living - pretty much on a par with the UK for day to day stuff (Coles shopping, eating out, etc).

Rent / mortage: on a par with the UK for city centre living. Buying/renting in the suburbs is dead cheap.

Recreational activities: more to choose from than in the uk, thanks mainly to the good weather. Most things are free/cheap and there is plenty of things to occupy people who are willing to try new things.

Choice of items: There aren't as many healthy prepackaged food goods in the supermarkets, but other than that there's loads of options. Loads of choice of cars, but loads of Holden, Ford, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Toyota.

Queensland has a lot to offer anyone who comes over. Not got homesick cos there's far too much to do.

Rob
Excellent balanced post and great news re the jobs

Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:05 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
Thanks Rob, its good to get other people opinions, Me and hubby are both in our 20`s with no children and we have never been to Oz either. It is all very scary but very exciting too. We are hoping to be there next July. Glad you have settled in. Good luck with your new job
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:05 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rob and Sam - what a great apartment you have - your photo's are brill!!!!! Like you, me and my hubbie are both 25 and 26, no kids - the only tie we have is our dog that we are bringing over too - the city apartment looks great but not for us due to the dog probably - you guy's look really happy and I wish you both all the best. Maybe see you in Brisbane in November!? Keep the stories coming as to how you are getting on,

Lynn
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:18 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Great informative post.....glad you are enjoying it, keep us posted on any other developments.

Donna
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:53 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Glad everything is going your way and congratulations on getting jobs sorted so quickly. Enjoy it all.

Binbird
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:25 am
Merlot

Nice post, good luck to you both.

Merlot

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Hey there thanks for sharing with us!
And the pics are fab too!
I am also in my mid 20s and will be in Bne in Sept. Have already lived in Oz before though! look forward to meeting you!!!

good luck with both jobs!

fabie
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, well-balanced and really good to hear another success story.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:07 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Great post, well-balanced and really good to hear another success story.
Hey Hutch,
Just looked at your comments under the reply. Moving to Berry? Very nice part of the world. I lived in Nowra for 5 years. went through Berry last October, it seems nothing has changed. Anyway hope it al works out for you. My girl friend and I are applying for the spouse visa too.
Jim
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:38 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Hey Hutch,
Just looked at your comments under the reply. Moving to Berry? Very nice part of the world. I lived in Nowra for 5 years. went through Berry last October, it seems nothing has changed. Anyway hope it al works out for you. My girl friend and I are applying for the spouse visa too.
Jim
Passed through there and shopped at K-mart many times My MIL lives at Sussex Inlet so would go through at least 6 times a year. She does pottery (retired from the working world) and goes to Berry market every month to sell.

Good luck with your spouse visa application, I went through that back in 1998 and now a happy Ozzie Citizen, though living in the grim north of England.

Merlot

Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Dave+Kelly is an unknown quantity at this point

This post has just cheered me up no end. We are mid 20's never been to oz and no jobs to go to, Was feeling a bit down wondering if we're doing the right thing as we have good jobs and nice house here. You're post and photos just made me remember why we want to go, the weather's horrible here so stuck inside so thank you.
Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see that your both settling in okay and even better to see you have jobs lined up. The view from your apartment looks lovely.

All the best to you both for the future
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:12 am
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

great post & pictures, it's really great to see that you've both settled and found jobs so quick,keep the post's coming.
good luck jonni
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:57 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Our experience so far

Rob
Hi Sam & Rob

Cool photos

All the very best with your new lives

Ransi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.