Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

Old May 7th 2010, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

I hate to say it but my hubby has been offered a job twice before having met the employer or potential employer, I think it does depend what type of work it is and where it is and the employer?
Some do some don't.

I think you've been very unlucky in Australia.... but I also think things happen for a reason, perhaps you just aren't meant to start a new life there?
Maybe you're meant to be in the UK ?

things look up for you all soon x

Never realised you felt that way Pollyanna
Old May 7th 2010, 8:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
I hate to say it but my hubby has been offered a job twice before having met the employer or potential employer, I think it does depend what type of work it is and where it is and the employer?
Some do some don't.

I think you've been very unlucky in Australia.... but I also think things happen for a reason, perhaps you just aren't meant to start a new life there?
Maybe you're meant to be in the UK ?

things look up for you all soon x

Never realised you felt that way Pollyanna
Very nearly went home to stay recently, but I'd struggle after 7 years to get a job back there on the level I've fought my way up to here, so on balance at the moment I'm staying and tolerating the place. After all, its the same cr*p, just a different bucket a lot of the time. Just need plenty of overtime so I don't have to spend too long in the real world, and can just hide in the office!!

I think a lot of it does depend on the employer - nursing for example, very easy to get a job first. Jobs that need licensing, like electricians, aren't so easy to come by, as posts on here over the years have proved. Admin jobs are virtually impossible to get before you arrive - too many people here that can do the job already.
Old May 8th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Very nearly went home to stay recently, but I'd struggle after 7 years to get a job back there on the level I've fought my way up to here, so on balance at the moment I'm staying and tolerating the place. After all, its the same cr*p, just a different bucket a lot of the time. Just need plenty of overtime so I don't have to spend too long in the real world, and can just hide in the office!!

I think a lot of it does depend on the employer - nursing for example, very easy to get a job first. Jobs that need licensing, like electricians, aren't so easy to come by, as posts on here over the years have proved. Admin jobs are virtually impossible to get before you arrive - too many people here that can do the job already.

But surely it is not just about your level of job - I would have thought that it was about being happy and content (among other things), which you appear not to be in Australia.

What type of life are you living if you just want to work so that you don't have to face the realities of your life. That is existing and not living. Living is a privilege denied to many so I think we have a duty to live and not exist, particulary when we have it within our power to make changes.
Old May 8th 2010, 4:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
But surely it is not just about your level of job - I would have thought that it was about being happy and content (among other things), which you appear not to be in Australia.

What type of life are you living if you just want to work so that you don't have to face the realities of your life. That is existing and not living. Living is a privilege denied to many so I think we have a duty to live and not exist, particulary when we have it within our power to make changes.
I am happy and content - with my job. If I went back I would be jobless (certainly wouldn't have one I enjoy this much, as this is perfect for me, and there's no call for cyclone/storm watching back home!), penniless, and largely friendless. Not long bck I did think I would be happy back home, but a few let-downs recently have made me wonder if I should stick with the devil I know.
Old May 8th 2010, 4:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am happy and content - with my job. If I went back I would be jobless (certainly wouldn't have one I enjoy this much, as this is perfect for me, and there's no call for cyclone/storm watching back home!), penniless, and largely friendless. Not long bck I did think I would be happy back home, but a few let-downs recently have made me wonder if I should stick with the devil I know.
Look, where else can you look forward to a yearly debate about daylight saving? (with questions and answers the same as last year, so you can cheat on the test!)

It's thrill a minute, you love it really.
Old May 8th 2010, 4:19 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Look, where else can you look forward to a yearly debate about daylight saving? (with questions and answers the same as last year, so you can cheat on the test!)

It's thrill a minute, you love it really.
I know, I wouldn't get that back home would I
Old May 8th 2010, 8:46 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm missing UK and family/friends more and more. There is no prospect of me moving back though as my husband never would go, his sons are here too and I would never ask him to move there away from his boys. At the moment, I can't see us even being able to go back for a visit, financially it's beyond our means. To be honest, I think this is what is at the root of me feeling unsettled, the more I know I can't go back for a visit, the more I want to! Just being awkward I suppose

I do like it here and my daughter is very well settled. I think because I miss family, I've sort of cut myself off from them and rarely speak/write to them now because each time I did I missed them more.... it's a bit silly really. Meh!
Old May 8th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am relieved I was a forces child and an oil and gas wife. Never being somewhere for more than 3 years has its benefits. In fact I have lived in Perth for 5 years now and it is the longest I have stayed in one place in my entire 40 years. I think this is what made it easier for me to settle. Nobody and nowhere to miss. I don't think enough thought is given to this when people make the decision to move away from familiarity.
Same goes for us - OH is in the Oil and Gas industry. We've moved to 4 different countries in the last 6 years. This has been our longest stint yet.

You have to have a certain type of character and be a strong family unit to cope. I make friends easily so the homesickness has never been a problem. However, we've always had a job to go to and been well supported by OH's company - so I suppose we've been spolit!

I think to go from seeing parents/family every day or living just round the corner to moving half way around the world must be very, very difficult. Your entire support network has gone and to then have to go out and find friends must be quite hard. Its probably just been a step too far for the OP's wife and eldest daughter.
Old May 9th 2010, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Andrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to all

Hello to you all and thanks for all your kind words. (Well most of them anyway!)

I just wanted to add this to my original message, as it seems to have provoked some reaction from some of you:

I was aware of the hassles that would follow when arriving in Australia in relation to the work side of things; my grievance is that when you apply for a certificate you have to wait for very long periods of time before getting anywhere and that some of the information you receive is not always that accurate.

1) I was informed by TRA that getting the certificate would be a mere formality as TRA had already assessed me for the Visa; this was their words not mine.
2) TRA also said that it would speed things up if I sent off certified copies, even going on to say that they hoped to turn most cases around in 10 days… 12 weeks and counting!!!
3) The TRA assessor said to me that it would not be any benefit to do the interview earlier as we was going to be carrying out the interview in plenty of time for the next meeting of the panel AND that I would hear by the 23rd April…. 12 weeks and counting again their words not mine.
4) I have sent numerous emails to TRA asking for updates, my last email to them even explained about the additional stress this was causing my family on top of the whole emigration thing, but all I ever receive is the standard reply...”I understand that it is a frustrating process and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused” I have been told by others who’ve had dealings with TRA that you can’t lose your rag with them either as you “go to the bottom of the pile”, a sparky friend of mine said that he was in a similar situation and lost his cool with them and he ended up having to re-apply all over again which as I’ve already said takes time and costs money.

All I’m saying is that I wish TRA explained this a bit more when i received my Visa; I wish they’d told me that they would be going through all my information a lot more thoroughly which may also involve a technical interview and – some might say more importantly - that you probably wouldn’t get any work until you’d been through the process and received the Grade A License.

I’m not putting down the system at the end of the day we are working with electricity which has the potential to kill – I wish the UK would have the same morals, I know of many non-uk people who are working in the uk as electricians who have never completed the course.. all the uk is interested in is “How cheap can you do it”
I find the Australian approach quite refreshing; it reminds us that “Do you know what…electricity is quite dangerous”.

Where the Australian immigration system really fails is this:
They acknowledge that there is a shortage of – in this case – electricians; “OK” they say, “we’ll see if any electricians from overseas want to move to Australia” and therefore fill the skills shortage.
They get the applications, examine the applicants and once satisfied; award a permanent visa…. Sorted…..not quite; once the electrician arrives in Australia and discovers the hurdles he has to jump to be able to work as an electrician he might decide to say “Sod this for a game of soldiers I’m going to find another job” and he can, he has a permanent visa so he can go and do whatever he wants – and before you all say it would never happen – I know of 2 people who have done just that.
So can you see the flaw in the system? They go through the hard work of getting the man for the job but fail to actually fill the vacancy that he was brought over for!!!

With regards to the work; I did find work very quickly once I started to look, my original statement was more a case of: when you arrive the first thing you should do is apply for any certificates/licenses you might need – not necessarily find the job – just start any processes off first.
I also love the work… very much a novelty at the moment… thought I’d done most electrical installations… apparently not! And I must be doing something right; my boss has said that he wants to pay me more money, he feels that I should be earning more as I am pretty much working as an electrician (As far as the system will allow anyway) and he feels guilty for only paying me as a TA… what a decent guy eh? Not met many bosses like that.

RE: The Home sickness.
This has also raised some comments from some of you; some of you even suggesting that we should just get on with it, or you’ll get over it!!! I wish it were that simple, many times I’ve thought “If I can just get her to stay a bit longer.. she’ll get over it” I never realised how hard it would be to come home from work to see the woman you love and care for in a state of despair and constantly crying; even now I hope that something will happen and that she will say “Let’s give it a little longer” but it will never happen; my wife wants to go home… end of… she will openly admit that she has not even tried to settle, all she wants is to go home; this is why I stated TIP 4 as being the most important; cause it doesn’t matter how much other family members enjoy it or that you could have a better life, it don’t mean sh*t if the wife ain’t happy.

I spoke to my mum the other day, she said that she is more sad that we’re returning than she was when we left; And no she's not refering to me being a poor son!! she is merely worried that I will resent Tracey when things don’t go quite right. This worries me as well; I know only too well how disillusioned I’d become about the UK and how annoying things were - my daily commute into London to name just one – It’s also hard to explain the politics of it all to someone who just wants to go home. Every day I receive emails stating how the UK is finished and more recently that the hung parliament is not going to improve things – we’re not political minded people but even I know when something’s not good.

I think that will do for now; sorry to ramble on and like I mentioned earlier; many thanks for all your comments.

The very best of luck to anyone making the move and to those who are here already.

Regards,

Mark
Old May 10th 2010, 3:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just getting your thoughts down on 'paper' to strangers can help a lot with lessening the stress so I think you'll be ok. There are quite a few who've gone back because of a seriously homesick partner (whether male or female) and many of them have settled back into their old life without wanting or needing to feel bitter with the partner. Obviously some will, I hope you don't and it's all good. As I said before, you could find in a couple of years your wife is pushing to move back again - stranger things have happened
Old May 10th 2010, 4:14 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Not got anything to add to your thread but to wish you all the best of luck in whatever you decide to do

I've only been here 11 days, hubby since January and he is working, kids now in school and I am really conscious to keep myself as busy as possible even if I just sit in the library on the computers until I can find work myself.

Good luck and hope you all find happiness

Originally Posted by Andrews2oz
Hello to you all and thanks for all your kind words. (Well most of them anyway!)

I just wanted to add this to my original message, as it seems to have provoked some reaction from some of you:

I was aware of the hassles that would follow when arriving in Australia in relation to the work side of things; my grievance is that when you apply for a certificate you have to wait for very long periods of time before getting anywhere and that some of the information you receive is not always that accurate.

1) I was informed by TRA that getting the certificate would be a mere formality as TRA had already assessed me for the Visa; this was their words not mine.
2) TRA also said that it would speed things up if I sent off certified copies, even going on to say that they hoped to turn most cases around in 10 days… 12 weeks and counting!!!
3) The TRA assessor said to me that it would not be any benefit to do the interview earlier as we was going to be carrying out the interview in plenty of time for the next meeting of the panel AND that I would hear by the 23rd April…. 12 weeks and counting again their words not mine.
4) I have sent numerous emails to TRA asking for updates, my last email to them even explained about the additional stress this was causing my family on top of the whole emigration thing, but all I ever receive is the standard reply...”I understand that it is a frustrating process and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused” I have been told by others who’ve had dealings with TRA that you can’t lose your rag with them either as you “go to the bottom of the pile”, a sparky friend of mine said that he was in a similar situation and lost his cool with them and he ended up having to re-apply all over again which as I’ve already said takes time and costs money.

All I’m saying is that I wish TRA explained this a bit more when i received my Visa; I wish they’d told me that they would be going through all my information a lot more thoroughly which may also involve a technical interview and – some might say more importantly - that you probably wouldn’t get any work until you’d been through the process and received the Grade A License.

I’m not putting down the system at the end of the day we are working with electricity which has the potential to kill – I wish the UK would have the same morals, I know of many non-uk people who are working in the uk as electricians who have never completed the course.. all the uk is interested in is “How cheap can you do it”
I find the Australian approach quite refreshing; it reminds us that “Do you know what…electricity is quite dangerous”.

They acknowledge that there is a shortage of – in this case – electricians; “OK” they say, “we’ll see if any electricians from overseas want to move to Australia” and therefore fill the skills shortage.
They get the applications, examine the applicants and once satisfied; award a permanent visa…. Sorted…..not quite; once the electrician arrives in Australia and discovers the hurdles he has to jump to be able to work as an electrician he might decide to say “Sod this for a game of soldiers I’m going to find another job” and he can, he has a permanent visa so he can go and do whatever he wants – and before you all say it would never happen – I know of 2 people who have done just that.
So can you see the flaw in the system? They go through the hard work of getting the man for the job but fail to actually fill the vacancy that he was brought over for!!!

With regards to the work; I did find work very quickly once I started to look, my original statement was more a case of: when you arrive the first thing you should do is apply for any certificates/licenses you might need – not necessarily find the job – just start any processes off first.
I also love the work… very much a novelty at the moment… thought I’d done most electrical installations… apparently not! And I must be doing something right; my boss has said that he wants to pay me more money, he feels that I should be earning more as I am pretty much working as an electrician (As far as the system will allow anyway) and he feels guilty for only paying me as a TA… what a decent guy eh? Not met many bosses like that.

This has also raised some comments from some of you; some of you even suggesting that we should just get on with it, or you’ll get over it!!! I wish it were that simple, many times I’ve thought “If I can just get her to stay a bit longer.. she’ll get over it” I never realised how hard it would be to come home from work to see the woman you love and care for in a state of despair and constantly crying; even now I hope that something will happen and that she will say “Let’s give it a little longer” but it will never happen; my wife wants to go home… end of… she will openly admit that she has not even tried to settle, all she wants is to go home; this is why I stated TIP 4 as being the most important; cause it doesn’t matter how much other family members enjoy it or that you could have a better life, it don’t mean sh*t if the wife ain’t happy.

I spoke to my mum the other day, she said that she is more sad that we’re returning than she was when we left; And no she's not refering to me being a poor son!! she is merely worried that I will resent Tracey when things don’t go quite right. This worries me as well; I know only too well how disillusioned I’d become about the UK and how annoying things were - my daily commute into London to name just one – It’s also hard to explain the politics of it all to someone who just wants to go home. Every day I receive emails stating how the UK is finished and more recently that the hung parliament is not going to improve things – we’re not political minded people but even I know when something’s not good.

I think that will do for now; sorry to ramble on and like I mentioned earlier; many thanks for all your comments.

The very best of luck to anyone making the move and to those who are here already.

Regards,

Mark
Old May 10th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Regards,

Mark
What a nightmare I really feel for you.

I don't pretend that I was in your shoes but when we first moved from the UK to US my wife was really homesick, All she could think about was being so far away from our families.
It got so bad that even though we couldn't afford it we went back to the UK for a holiday. It was late October it was cold, damp and miserable and it was the best thing we could have done.
Immediately upon arrival she commented "God I forgot how grey and miserable it was here" from then on she started to compare everything with Miami unfavourably and within 5 days was referring to Miami as home and within a week was stating that she couldn't wait to get "home"
We went on to live there for 5 years and loved every minute of it.
I'm not saying this will work for you but your situation sounds desperate and you may have nothing to lose.

Good luck whatever you and your family decide.
Old May 10th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Regards,

Mark
Gutted for you all. Was a spark in the uk fifteen years contracting all over the uk. The thought sends a shudder down my spine and i hope my missis gets work here soon because i think it is starting to get to her. Good luck whatever you all decide.
Old May 10th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Having read this I cannot comprehend what you and your family are going through at the moment.

We are on the verge of the completion of house sale and then we are off. There is nothing for hubby in this country, so what have we got to lose.

But as other people have said it looks like you have already made your minds up. All the best in whatever route you follow
Old May 10th 2010, 12:44 pm
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all

Hi Andrew,
feel for you mate reading your post,
I'm a sparky too, i went though all the same shit as you with getting a licence but... without bother, it all took a couple of months, i really think it all depends on how you "land on your feet" when you first arrive, i just got so lucky, as did my other half, everything fell in place jobs rental ect.
but after that said it's still really difficult!! we had tears too lot's, we found some friend's on here, which helped massively!
we lived across the road from the mother-in-law in england, now we have left she's on her own (window), we had great jobs and a bloody lovely home. we feel we had a easier life in england, but not a better one, also wow how much does a house cost in perth!!! we are living only 10k from city.
I've heard loads of stories about people coming and going, and also witnessed it, i have friends that have been back and forth 3 TIMES! i wish you all the best for the future, stay strong, and together thats the main thing, you may be back who know's, try not to blame any one, sometimes it does'nt work the first time, one thing is, you'll all be stronger from it all.
remember life's short, so enjoy every minute, the plane journey home....will be a long one,
all the best warren and lisa.
if we can help pm me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.