Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

Old May 6th 2010, 4:49 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

It certainly isn't easy migrating, and there are many dark days to overcome (specifically early on). It's not for everyone for sure.

Finding suitable employment is always going to be a major issue, especially if you feel like you aren't getting anywhere fast. The wife spent 3 months getting her skills recognised, only to find out that due to the University 'not being on a specific web site' it is going to cost a lot to have it certified. Luckily, she's found a job she's really happy with (obviously paying a lot less as it's technically unskilled).

All I can say to anyone following this thread and thinking of emigrating is plan, research, and really ask yourself why you want to emigrate - could you not change your lifestyle without migrating?

Anyways, best of luck. May you quickly settle in back 'home'.
Old May 6th 2010, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it hasnt worked out for you and I hope that the next step in your life adventure is successful. You may well be like the thousands who have gone to UK and realized just what a fantastic place it actually is - sometimes you dont know what you've got til it's gone. Kudos to you for supporting your wife and doing the thing that will make her happy - some of us arent nearly so lucky!
Old May 6th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Quoll, the enlightened.

Originally Posted by quoll
Sorry it hasnt worked out for you and I hope that the next step in your life adventure is successful. You may well be like the thousands who have gone to UK and realized just what a fantastic place it actually is - sometimes you dont know what you've got til it's gone. Kudos to you for supporting your wife and doing the thing that will make her happy - some of us arent nearly so lucky!

There are plenty of reasons to head back to the homeland but this case sounds like a "keep at it" situation. Once your foot is in the door workwise, things will turn around.

FACT: You, your wife, kids HAVE to have a resume if they want work.

On the other hand, if the womenfolk arent happy, then you should book your tickets. All too common a problem and the main reason our family ping-ponged.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Quoll, the enlightened.

There are plenty of reasons to head back to the homeland but this case sounds like a "keep at it" situation. Once your foot is in the door workwise, things will turn around.

FACT: You, your wife, kids HAVE to have a resume if they want work.

On the other hand, if the womenfolk arent happy, then you should book your tickets. All too common a problem and the main reason our family ping-ponged.
LOL yes, it all depends on how long you are prepared to batter your head against a brick wall. Sometimes calling it quits is the sensible thing to do - there is no guarantee that anything will turn it around and you have to make a judgment at which point you will cut your losses. Some things are just too big to take a gamble on and a bit of reframing about what you have got doesnt go astray
Old May 6th 2010, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a combination of bad planning, unrealistic expeactations and bad luck.

Your missus should really have spoken up before you left though.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

wanderer1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats abit unfair. You come with wanting things to work out but sometimes they just don't. At least you can say you gave it a go.

Good luck on your return.
Old May 6th 2010, 7:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Sounds like a combination of bad planning, unrealistic expeactations and bad luck.

Sometimes you don't realise how you are going to feel until you get here. I'm a prime example of that.....read my posts from before I landed here and you would think I was one person on here who would never get homesick. Less than three months later I remember thinking "Holy Bat Kr*p, what have I done......"
Old May 6th 2010, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sometimes you don't realise how you are going to feel until you get here. I'm a prime example of that.....read my posts from before I landed here and you would think I was one person on here who would never get homesick. Less than three months later I remember thinking "Holy Bat Kr*p, what have I done......"

Yes exactly, you dont know until you've tried it. The OP sounds like a really good bloke to me, so it's a shame he had to go through this. I hope all goes well in the future.

One thing that has come through, and this thread is so important that it almost should be a sticky. Is when people come over to change their lifestyle, I dont understand how they can do so, by pointing at place saying I like the look of that, without considering the vast implications of how employment is in that area, or the country as a whole.

Surely most peoples lifestyle will depend on the Job they get so surely that is the most important factor in any move.

So what I've seen as the most important factor in this post is.

JOB FIRST

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 6th 2010 at 7:18 am.
Old May 6th 2010, 7:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

His wife might have thought with 100% certainty that there wouldn't be a problem. People have become peoplesick for those 'back home' even when they never saw the people more than a couple of times a year when they lived there.

It's impossible to know what's going to happen until you've tried. How would it be if everyone just thought 'I may not like it, I'd better not do it'? No one would ever do anything. You've got to give something a chance.

I don't think there was any bad planning or unrealistic expectations, a certain naivety possibly and a curve ball thrown in but no more than that.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andrews2oz
To all of you thinking of making the move please please please think hard and read on for some hopefully helpful advice.

I’m not going to tell you that Australia is a nasty place or that the Aussie people are horrible both my youngest daughter and I both love it here and would love to stay; unfortunately my eldest daughter and the wife just cannot settle and have longed to return home since our arrival.

We arrived in Secret Harbour, Perth in the middle of January 2010 and initially stayed with friends. (By the way Secret Harbour is a beautiful suburb and from what I hear has big plans for the future. It misses a local Train station (Nearest station Warnbro is approx 10kms away)
We then spent the next 5 weeks finding a good rental.
TIP 1: Make sure you find a good rental, we thought we had, it looked nice enough, freshly painted 4 bedrooms nice family room etc. but with hindsight we should have waited a little longer for somewhere better.
TIP 2: Sign up for 6 months at a time, unless of course you are 100% sure you’ll be staying for at least a year; and when I say 100% better make that 200% - we were also going to give it at least 1 to 2 years here in Oz before returning to the uk… seems like only yesterday that we were saying that!!

I thought that I had a perfect plan; get a home sorted out, then get the girls into schools and then get a job. Big mistake; my plan of 2 weeks to find a home turned into 5 weeks, by week 4 my original plan was to have the girls in schools… this turned out to be nearer 6 weeks and as for the job!!!
I have been an Electrician for 21 years and have experienced most types of electrical work; in recent years I have also gone on to run large jobs (2 years on London Underground in charge of up to 70 men). I have my City & Guilds parts 1 & 2 and only 3 years ago took and passed the City & Guilds 2391 Testing & Inspection course. Also quite recently, I attended and passed a HV Authorised person course. And here’s the bit I don’t get… I had received a Skilled 175 Visa after being assessed. However, once in Australia you then have to apply for an Australian Recognised Trade certificate - I did kind of know about this but for the life of me I didn’t expect as much hassle as I’ve experienced – I sent off all of the information to their office in Melbourne only to receive an email the next day to say that the certificates were not certified copies – huh they were exactly the same ones that I’d sent to their office in Canberra and they were happy with them!! Anyway the guy at Melbourne told me that they would retrieve the info from their Canberra office but that this would take longer so I’d be better off sending new copies again… which I did… only to discover that it still took them 30 days to decide… and what did they decide??? “We are not entirely satisfied with your case, however we are willing to give you the opportunity to convince us via a Technical interview!!!
After more waiting I was contacted by the assessor who told me that I would receive a call in 3 more weeks time to conduct the Technical Interview.. I asked if I could carry out the interview earlier as I was eager to progress to the next stage but was assured that the interview would be conducted in plenty of time before the panel next got together to assess cases.
The Technical Interview day came and I had an interesting Interview… Not quite sure how many electricians can still remember the different components of a fluorescent fitting and just how this is part of being an electrician but hey what do I know! Anyway the assessor said that I’d passed the interview and that it would be his recommendation to award me the Electrical Mechanics certificate when the panel next met… he also said that I would hear the result around the 23rd of April……. You’ve probably already guessed this next bit but….. Wrong; no result, I contacted the TRA who informed me that unfortunately my interview had not been conducted early enough for my case to be heard in time and that they would hope to look at my case again on May the 11th and hope to close out my case by mid May!!!!! Almost 12 weeks after first receiving my documents!!! And this is just the first hurdle, once – sorry IF – I receive the certificate I then have to apply for the License, only then can I go on a 2 week course to actually qualify for the license… doh!!! Don’t forget all of this means more expenses too.

So TIP 3: Find jobs quickly; I applied to about 10 adverts – explaining that I was in the process of applying for the license but would be willing to work as a Trade assistant until such time.
I got a job as a TA but I feel cheated that my boss is getting a fully qualified, well experienced and with an extensive amount of tools for the price of a mate. Life sucks sometimes doesn’t it!!!

TIP 3.1: Make sure the wife gets a job; my wife has now spent so long out of work that she has no interest in getting a job here; she was a carer for 9 years in the UK before coming here and was hoping to do the same but got put off by “Have you got a resume” and the lack of local work that she now has no intention of getting a job…. She just wants to go home.

TIP 4: And this is the most important one – Make sure your partner is fully behind the move and that he/she is sure that they can move so far from mum. This has been the main reason for our return; my wife had never been more than 5 minutes away from her mum; I suppose taking her to the other side of the world was never going to work really. Just wish I’d known that before we moved.

When we left the uk, we were doing really well in the uk; good jobs, kids doing well in school, good friends, great pets and no financial worries etc. (Same as many of you probably!!) “Why gamble” I hear you say; well we were (And still are) saddened/worried by what the UK was - and is - becoming. We decided to emigrate for what we hoped was going to be a better life for our daughters.
Our eldest daughter was approaching 15 years old and did not want to go to Australia so we thought, “Better go now before she’s 16 and refuses”. Unfortunately we have found that the education system is not as good as we were getting in the UK and our eldest just seems to cry a lot and pines for home; she made it in to the schools extension classes after impressing the teachers but still hates it.

I just hope that we can resume where we left off in the UK; our house will still be rented out till mid January 2011 but my old boss has promised me my old job back.
Not so sure how I’m going to feel if we bump into our old Dog either; we had our Cocker Spaniel for 9 years and decided to find a new home for him in the UK rather than bring him out here as he didn’t enjoy the heat.

And please don’t say “you need to give it longer” or “Give it a year at least” or “It will get easier” as I know that it does not make any sense going back so soon.. but unfortunately we have no choice…. Another month or 2 here could split the family up beyond repair. I cannot take any more tears; seeing my wife so low is crushing me.

All the best to all in Oz and for those to arrive,
Mate please do not go back home so soon. I came out in 2006 and went back after six weeks because my wife was distraught and i did not have my ATRC. The same probs were still in the uk and i am now back in brissie with my wife and two kids. OK you could have got your ATRC in the uk and sent it to an ozzie address if you had one. Its hassle to get it over here and i have had to do the 22 weeks at college to get my QLD electrical licencs. I was lucky i had a job to come. If you go back it will feel like unfinished buisness. I am gutted for you. For the missis mate does she think she is on holiday. My mates missis had to work at a petrol station on nights before she landed her 90k job. Is she gonna work in the uk ? Mate feel free to email me direct and see if there is any other avenues.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yup me too, didnt feel the least need to return to UK for the first 10 years (very slow learner) and no homesickness at all but down the track the thought of ending my days here fills me with absolute horror. I always knew that this was an alien place and if you had told me back then that I wouldnt be able to go home down the track then I would have been out of here so fast you wouldnt have seen me for dust. It's the "forever" that is crippling and once that sinks in, all sorts of weird feelings come up and you can have no concept of that until it happens to you.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Guys i know what you mean! I dont like the idea of ending my days here but i will 100 per cent so that my kids have more opportunities and enjoy their childhood, and cant dismantle a bush shelter and mug a granny all at the same time before their fifth birthday. Lifes tough get on with it!
Old May 6th 2010, 9:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup me too, didnt feel the least need to return to UK for the first 10 years (very slow learner) and no homesickness at all but down the track the thought of ending my days here fills me with absolute horror. I always knew that this was an alien place and if you had told me back then that I wouldnt be able to go home down the track then I would have been out of here so fast you wouldnt have seen me for dust. It's the "forever" that is crippling and once that sinks in, all sorts of weird feelings come up and you can have no concept of that until it happens to you.
I think that's what frightens people though. Even though I love it, I've never thought this is forever. I have no idea what's down the line and circumstance could make this forever but I can't think of anything as forever, it's way too daunting, even for a contented soul.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

The chances are that you wont know when the end of forever is! So we all better book our flights right now.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough

So sorry to hear of your problems/difficulties--they mirror so many others experiences.Life isn't an assault course its to be lived--and governmental ninnies making it even more difficult is just not on.Come home--put it all down to a bad experience[as so many are now doing---a friend told me that the rate of returns from Oz have been rising--no idea where he got the idea/figures from].Ignore all that it said in the media here[especially the murdoch element--appalling anti-uk bias].Things may be tough but you will be surrounded by the familiar and friends and nothing can compensate for that.You will be surprised how quickly you will pick up the threads of your life--I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.