Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
OK Cheers guys

Does anyone know which airlines go to Gatwick but dont wrack up the extra wonga?

Emirates is virtually your only one stop option to LGW.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Also, guys, some people rave above the airbus A380, sounds like a winner.

To find a flight on it, is it a case of just searching every airline? I know that Emirates have access to one.

Looks like I am defo going ececccccccccccclkkkk! 1st time back!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

This person suggests that once you get to Sydney that you can fly direct to the UK, is this not the case?

That you have to stop somewhere else on the way?

Cheers

J x
I didn't mean it literally Sir.

See other posts. I mean no official stop overs that involve hotels, lounges and fannying around.

The most amount of fannying I do is get off one plane, wait 1 hr (etc) then get back on same plane/another plane - different gate/same gate.
In the past, I've even stayed on the plane and slept whilst others were getting excited checking out the loos in the terminal (etc).

As it 'appens, I don't go back to the UK anymore - I go to N America so I like the (literal) non-stop haul to the US via the Pacific from Melbourne.

cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Nov 15th 2012 at 4:27 am.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

To find a flight on it, is it a case of just searching every airline? I know that Emirates have access to one.

I'm also a A380 virgin. But give me a few months and I will have popped my cherry on one.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:47 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Some years back Qantas flew a new 747 direct from London to Sydney as a publicity stunt - but it carried no passengers and no freight, just the flight crew(s).

1989 it was with their first 747-400

Last edited by KJCherokee; Nov 15th 2012 at 7:54 am.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As already said, you cannot fly totally non-stop to the UK, planes have to stop to refuel.
Although some airlines do try their luck
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Some years back Qantas flew a new 747 direct from London to Sydney as a publicity stunt - but it carried no passengers and no freight, just the flight crew(s).
Things have moved on a bit since then. The 777LR is now actually capable of doing LON-SYD non stop with 300 passengers & cargo. 2 problems - it can't do the same journey in reverse (prevailing winds), and most airlines think the market isn't there. Ultra long haul flights rarely make any money - costs too much to keep 20 hrs worth of fuel at 35000 feet!
Old Nov 16th 2012, 2:25 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore, Quantas and Emirates all fly the A380. When I was booking our flights over here I simply looked at the options given on the Singapore website, it tells you what model each flight is. The flight times were awkward but in my opinion it was worth it to be on the A380 (but then I am a bit plane obsessed!)
Old Nov 16th 2012, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Which is best airline to fly back to the UK?

Ideally looking to land at Gatwick, or Heathrow.

Old Nov 16th 2012, 2:38 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is best airline to fly back to the UK?

go on webjet compare prices and length of flight then look at everything else

a lot of it is personal preference
I am flying with malaysia as its cheap is giving me 30kg of baggage and has the shortest flying time on the date I want
good luck
Old Nov 16th 2012, 2:40 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
Singapore, Quantas and Emirates all fly the A380. When I was booking our flights over here I simply looked at the options given on the Singapore website, it tells you what model each flight is. The flight times were awkward but in my opinion it was worth it to be on the A380 (but then I am a bit plane obsessed!)
Malaysian Airlines is also doing A380 now - they swore off using them too much to Australia in favour of the KL to Europe leg - still, that's the main one you care about and the prices can be keen.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/mas-axes-air...s-london-paris
Old Nov 16th 2012, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

OK ..... in my opinion here's the easiest .... from Sydney anyway.

Jump an A380 from Syd to Singapore. I choose Qantas because you get the movies started on the ground. Sing don't start them until in the air then turn them off before landing. I do like the Singapore staff though, they bend over backwards for you. Qantas tend to be a bunch of old goat women or seriously high maintanence gay men.

Get off a Sing and jump into a taxi and head straight for the Marina Bay Sands. Check in then go for a cocktail and swim at the top in the infinity pool.
Get a good nights sleep, back to the airport, then A380 it to the UK.

Do the same in reverse.

I'm so over the going straight through thing these days and Singapore is so easy.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 4:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Gatwick gives you a choice of Emikrap, Emikrap or Emikrap!

All the LHR ones have been mentioned in your other thread
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Fully agree.....though I usually aim a little lower than the Marina Bay for accommodation

Originally Posted by Beoz
OK ..... in my opinion here's the easiest .... from Sydney anyway.

Jump an A380 from Syd to Singapore. I choose Qantas because you get the movies started on the ground. Sing don't start them until in the air then turn them off before landing. I do like the Singapore staff though, they bend over backwards for you. Qantas tend to be a bunch of old goat women or seriously high maintanence gay men.

Get off a Sing and jump into a taxi and head straight for the Marina Bay Sands. Check in then go for a cocktail and swim at the top in the infinity pool.
Get a good nights sleep, back to the airport, then A380 it to the UK.

Do the same in reverse.

I'm so over the going straight through thing these days and Singapore is so easy.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to arrive at Gatwick then Emirates this about your only option there. We have flown with them several times as we prefer to land at Gatwick, and we have always found them to be very good - no complaints so far and will be flying with them again witihin the next few months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.