Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opportunities for Project Management consultant in Perth?

Opportunities for Project Management consultant in Perth?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Opportunities for Project Management consultant in Perth?

This is quite a general thread, but I am just looking for broad responses.
I have been a consultant for ten years now (i.e. working for myself). My experience base is corporate FMCG marketing, but my consulling has tended to be more general business management.
Does anyone have any opinion about the work opportunities for such an experience base in Perth? I have looked at the job websites, but don't really get a feel for the market opportunity.
Any opinions would be welcome...
Nix

P.S. We would consider Brisbane of the work opportunites were better.....
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Re: Opportunities for Project Management consultant in Perth?

Wow.....this must be a first....not one reply.
I guess this is not too "hot" a topic...!
Bumping up in case anyone out there has any comments on this topic. These posts get lost so quickly on such an active bb !

Cheers
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.top-consultant.com/Austra...Land=Australia

Might be of interest? It could be a means to getting yourself established out there before settingup on your own again. Hope it helps a little.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

NikiL - what an amazing site. Thank you very much - certainly a place to start...
Seems there is lots more opportunity in Sydney for this field - and that is to be expected because that is where the major head offices are, but I think Perth will have it's share of opportunities too if I dig deep enough....

Thanks for this....

Nicky
Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try Fujistu, IBM & Accenture (although I don't think Accenture have a Perth office)
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure if you're hoping to be self-employed in Oz, but don't underestimate the importance placed on having contacts around here! We're in Sydney (OH is in IT) and although it was fairly easy for him to get work, a few of the "biggies" - including IBM - commented on the fact that he would be far more useful to them once he had local contacts. Just something to be aware of
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:10 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I'm not sure if you're hoping to be self-employed in Oz, but don't underestimate the importance placed on having contacts around here! We're in Sydney (OH is in IT) and although it was fairly easy for him to get work, a few of the "biggies" - including IBM - commented on the fact that he would be far more useful to them once he had local contacts. Just something to be aware of
I would second the point about the importance of contacts. Before I came out I equated Perth as a 1.5M person city to Birmingham. But Brum also had a commute range of another 5M people. There might be 7 degreess of separation globally but it is probably no more than 2 or 3 here. The focus on a couple of industries and most work being in the CBD actually makes for a very small range of people you might meet, relatively. Don't let that put you off though - the economy is booming and all companies are crying out for staff and will hire consultants at ridiculous rates to fill gaps.

I also think that industry experience is very important. Many things in Perth are Oil & Gas / mining related and it might be worth gaining some experience in those areas first, maybe contracting, which will also help you build a network.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a Project Manager. He says they struggle to fill any type of software job, there just don't seem to be enough of the right-skilled people here (are they all in Sydney?!). He will interview loads of applicants for one job, all people with software skills and good CV's, but often missing that one key thing that they are looking for. Or else they tart up the CV and make out they do have the skills in order to get the job, but it soon becomes obvious because they struggle with the work given them.

As a previous poster said, it makes such a difference once you have a network of contacts. My husband has recently signed up on www.linkedin.com, like facebook but for the professional to build up his network. He couldn't believe just how big his own network was. It took him a while to get his first job and had to start off at the bottom of the ladder, but now 5 years later, he's doing great and has been head-hunted a few times.

He is always happy to help fellow expats if possible, and will pass on any CV's where he might know of a job vacancy (for those Poms either here already or due to land imminently). He has secured two jobs for people on this board already. He keeps in regular touch with an ex-colleague of his who is in the recruitment dept of a Perth company, and we will be going out to dinner with him and some other contacts in a few weeks time. Anyone looking for a job who would like their CV put around a bit, feel free to send it to me. Please only respond if you are already in Perth and have a visa (he doesn't know anyone in companies that sponsor).