Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which high school - Helensvale or Pac Pines

Which high school - Helensvale or Pac Pines

Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

johnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to all
Default Which high school - Helensvale or Pac Pines

HI I am sure this topic has come up before and have had a look at a few threads but still not really got to where I need to be.

Arrive on GC early Dec and are looking at senior schools for 2 girls 12 and 14. Have applied to A B Paterson but looks like they can't fit them both in!! So need to hedge our bets and go with a state choice as well - short list is Pac Pines or Helensvale.

Please can anyone who has any knowledge of these schools pass on their best tips to help us try to get it right 1st time - the thought of moving there schools after a short time fills me with dread as to what we are doing to their poor young brains.

We need to try to get this sorted asap so we get our rental chice right.

Big Big thanks

Ali
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:58 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which high school - Helensvale or Pac Pines

A few months a go the local paper had the Top schools on the north end of the Gold Coast, Helensvale was rated the best state School, and St. Stephens the best Private School.
It will also depend on how well your kids fit it and how well they do at school in the UK.
IMO the education system here is at least a year behind the UK.
If your kids did really well in the UK you may be able to move them up a year, they will have to do some sort of test for that.
Hope this helps

Suni.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnpod
HI I am sure this topic has come up before and have had a look at a few threads but still not really got to where I need to be.

Arrive on GC early Dec and are looking at senior schools for 2 girls 12 and 14. Have applied to A B Paterson but looks like they can't fit them both in!! So need to hedge our bets and go with a state choice as well - short list is Pac Pines or Helensvale.

Please can anyone who has any knowledge of these schools pass on their best tips to help us try to get it right 1st time - the thought of moving there schools after a short time fills me with dread as to what we are doing to their poor young brains.

We need to try to get this sorted asap so we get our rental chice right.

Big Big thanks

Ali

Hi there,
For a start they wont be going to school until the end of January because of the summer holidays.

If it is of any use my daughter goes to Helensvale and she is thriving I believe it is a great school and I would recommend it to anyone.
There are the normal downsides though, drugs, bullying, truancy etc, but if you look hard enough you can find all of these there

I don't know that much about Pac Pines high so cannot comment.

The only thing I will say on your comment about rentals, they don't have as many in Helensvale as they do in Pac Pines and I wouldn't base your school choice on your location it seems lot's of people commute here, if they have found the right school.

Obviously though if you originally planned on AB Patterson and you are having to "hedge your bets" and go to a state school then what a shame.

Good luck on your choice
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It may be worth getting them into school for the last couple of weeks of school though. At least they should make some friends for the long hols. We didn't and lord it was hard work entertaining the angels for 10 weeks all in