Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Originally Posted by chels
There wouldn't be any money left for anything else!
True. At least they generally run on time...

S
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:32 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
True. At least they generally run on time...

S
Do you mean on time according to the NSW Government's targets - ie within 6 minutes of the timetabled time
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean on time according to the NSW Government's targets - ie within 6 minutes of the timetabled time
I've never had a problem with them - I think the trains here are quite efficient compared to other public transport I've encountered around the world...

S
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:41 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've never had a problem with them - I think the trains here are quite efficient compared to other public transport I've encountered around the world...

S
I base my experience on the Eastern Suburbs line, that hopefully will be a lot better once they've finished doing all the work on the turning thingy at Bondi Junction. I tried getting the train from Bondi Junction to Ashfield for a while to get to work, but after a week I decided it was preferable to drive even if that entailed the Paramatta Road.

But then, I am a bus fan these days - and the bus drivers on the whole are pretty good here
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:35 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Australia has very affordable & efficient public transport system IMO.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:21 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is that according the state audit office City Rail have no idea how well the trains run as they have no way of measuring their timeliness. Ever noticed the timer at the stations stay on "Next Train 2 Minutes" for 15 minutes. That 2 minutes then starts to rise.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Having been a regular user of public transport in both the UK and Oz in the last year I would say that Oz Public transport wins hands down. The trains are much more punctual, less crowded and the cost is a fraction of what it would be in the UK. Have to agree with stevemich on the graffitti, its everywhere on the North Shore line. but then most urban rail networks around the world seem to be plagued with it.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:51 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand the obsession with Sydney. If you want to live somewhere nice, pick the base of the Blue Mountains, Glenbrook. Great parks, excellent schools, National Park to rival all others, Blue Mts up the hill, Sydney down the hill. 20 mins into Penrith, and hour into the City. An hour and a bit away from the beach... Excellent properties with beautiful bush settings which are VALUE FOR MONEY!

Goddamnit, I don't get the City thing, you guys really need to check out further out.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:54 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iPom
I don't understand the obsession with Sydney. If you want to live somewhere nice, pick the base of the Blue Mountains, Glenbrook. Great parks, excellent schools, National Park to rival all others, Blue Mts up the hill, Sydney down the hill. 20 mins into Penrith, and hour into the City. An hour and a bit away from the beach... Excellent properties with beautiful bush settings which are VALUE FOR MONEY!

Goddamnit, I don't get the City thing, you guys really need to check out further out.
Ipom, have you been swimming at the Glenbrook watefall yet?

Top spot for a skinny dip
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:06 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

If you keep promoting the Blue Mountains the way you do and you do it well, It'll become crowded and full of Bogans and immigrants!!! Youve been warned!!!
If I were you Id be sending them all "out west" or somewhere. Not the northern beaches esp Mosman though cos its crap here and we hate it All those horrible surf beaches and the Diving is just awful, not to mention all the crappy restaurants around here!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MD09
Ipom, have you been swimming at the Glenbrook watefall yet?

Top spot for a skinny dip
OMG! Yes, I have! But I was wearing clothes..... allegedly!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by yamahaha
If you keep promoting the Blue Mountains the way you do and you do it well, It'll become crowded and full of Bogans and immigrants!!! Youve been warned!!!
If I were you Id be sending them all "out west" or somewhere. Not the northern beaches esp Mosman though cos its crap here and we hate it All those horrible surf beaches and the Diving is just awful, not to mention all the crappy restaurants around here!

There are plenty of bogans in Katoomba, but they're nice bogans. As for the immigrants, there are a lot here already, but they don't come on BE because they're too happy with their lives. I meet them every so often up here.

If you can afford it, Mosman is fab. I would love it too. I'm just presenting the alternative. People think the beach is everything and go there... There's more to Aus than the beach. If you love the countryside and the beach, BM's are perfect. Lots of people commute from here.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:00 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

There are plenty of bogans in Katoomba, but they're nice bogans. As for the immigrants, there are a lot here already, but they don't come on BE because they're too happy with their lives. I meet them every so often up here.

If you can afford it, Mosman is fab. I would love it too. I'm just presenting the alternative. People think the beach is everything and go there... There's more to Aus than the beach. If you love the countryside and the beach, BM's are perfect. Lots of people commute from here.

Yeah I know I was just being cheeky. I love living by the coast for the sea, the fact is always cooler here helps too but then you get more rain! The Ive been up to the Blue Mountains and I love it there too but I work in the city so I cant live that far out
Where we live now give us the best of both worlds and were in quite a quiet area but its only a 10min wlk to a ferry and a 10min ferry ride to circular quay. However like you say you pay the price for that luxury in High Rent/House Prices...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Yeah, I got the cheeky bit.

Sounds lovely where you are... I love to visit Sydney but with children, I wouldn't move from here. The kids up here stay innocent a lot longer and I like that... Why should it have to be different. Just down the road in Penrith, they're much more street smart, fair enough. Just not what I choose.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:15 am
AC/DC!

Yeah, I got the cheeky bit.

Sounds lovely where you are... I love to visit Sydney but with children, I wouldn't move from here. The kids up here stay innocent a lot longer and I like that... Why should it have to be different. Just down the road in Penrith, they're much more street smart, fair enough. Just not what I choose.
Hey if I could, Id live further out...need to get a job doing somthing different first that doesnt mean I canonly work in the city! Sounds like youve got it all there...nice one! Id move up North to Coffs or somewhere like that If I could. Love the sea me, Im a bit of a salty old sea-dog!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.