Reload this Page >

Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

AndyBoore is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Hi,

Was just wondering if people could give me opinions on places to avoid living around sydney (or even places people would recommend.)

I know all big cities have their dodgy areas, just think it would be good to hear everyones opinion.

cheers
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Originally Posted by AndyBoore
Hi,

Was just wondering if people could give me opinions on places to avoid living around sydney (or even places people would recommend.)

I know all big cities have their dodgy areas, just think it would be good to hear everyones opinion.

cheers
How far out do you want us to go?
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Eastern suburbs, Northern beaches, North Shore, Hills District, Inner West, Sutherland Shire, St Georges River suburbs - all fine. Most of the western suburbs and south-western suburbs are fine, a few are not.

You can normally tell the good ones by looking at them and you'd probably never choose to live in the less-desirable suburbs, anyway.

Don't forget that the further west you go, the hotter it gets.

Are you looking for a suburb for a family, a couple or single? Different people want different things.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NickyC
Eastern suburbs, Northern beaches, North Shore, Hills District, Inner West, Sutherland Shire, St Georges River suburbs - all fine. Most of the western suburbs and south-western suburbs are fine, a few are not.

You can normally tell the good ones by looking at them and you'd probably never choose to live in the less-desirable suburbs, anyway.

Don't forget that the further west you go, the hotter it gets.

Are you looking for a suburb for a family, a couple or single? Different people want different things.
If you really want to get out west and live an hour out of Sydney, you could choose to live in the lower Blue Mountains... Cooler than Sydney and you can have the best of both worlds. Mountains and ocean.
Look at Glenbrook.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

AndyBoore is on a distinguished road

It''ll be for a couple, late twenty's. Most of the companies i'll be able to get jobs for are around parramatta, north ryde areas. Don't know if this helps.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It''ll be for a couple, late twenty's. Most of the companies i'll be able to get jobs for are around parramatta, north ryde areas. Don't know if this helps.
Right, Parramatta itself and the surrounding suburbs are a bit ordinary. OK for shopping and restaurants etc. but not the perfect place to live. Ryde is rather bland, too.

If you were working there and living towards the east, then you'd be travelling against the peak so commuting times are less.

I'd check out inner west (Balmain/Glebe/Annandale for character and good pubs) or lower North Shore (Lane Cove area). Both would be fine for travel to North Ryde or Parramatta.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

nadine23 is on a distinguished road

Hi - Balmain is lovely! I can recommend it, nice feeling and good shops,bars,places to have coffee etc. We are going to live there and are in our early thirties with no kids - it's a great place!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:21 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Liverpool and Fairfield is also west of sydney, IS THIS CORRECT?
What are these suburbs like?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by utopia
I wouldn't live in Liverpool even if you paid me lots of money to do it. Anything down that way has always been pretty awful... all those SW suburbs are not so great. There must be pockets of niceness, but I haven't had direct experience of them.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:34 am
Account Closed

Lots of people commute from the mts to Parramatta if that helps.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:41 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Bankstown through Liverpool, fairfield up to about Leumeah are pretty dire. Avoid Macquarie fields like the plague. After Leumeah, the suburbs start to get quite nice agian, as you get closer to Campbelltown.

Minto/Minto Heights is quite nice, though a bit bland, and not much going on there.

S
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:07 am
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Hell!!! LOL

My Folks live in San Marino Drive, Prestons,Liverpool.

My husband didnt take to the area when we went on holiday.

But we didn't know much about it, nor whether we would be emigrating to Australia.

Now that we are definitely going, we are taking Suburbs and Housing alot more seriously.

Does anyone know what Mt Annun is like?

I have asked this question before, but if I were to live about 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour away from my folks, which areas are good for family life.

We have 2 young children. My Daughter is 4 in March and my Son has just turned 2.

Thanks in advance guys!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Bloody Hell!!! LOL

My Folks live in San Marino Drive, Prestons,Liverpool.

My husband didnt take to the area when we went on holiday.

But we didn't know much about it, nor whether we would be emigrating to Australia.

Now that we are definitely going, we are taking Suburbs and Housing alot more seriously.

Does anyone know what Mt Annun is like?

I have asked this question before, but if I were to live about 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour away from my folks, which areas are good for family life.

We have 2 young children. My Daughter is 4 in March and my Son has just turned 2.

Thanks in advance guys!!!
There was someone on here who was looking for houses in Sutherland Shire but couldn't find anything nice in his price range. They ended up buying a place at Harrington Park (near Narellan) I think.

It's one of those 'planned communities' but apparantly done quite well. They have a community website http://www.harrington-park.com/ with lots of social events and a man-made lake etc. You could check it out.

Last edited by NickyC; Jan 22nd 2007 at 9:17 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:37 am
Can't wait!

Originally Posted by NickyC
There was someone on here who was looking for houses in Sutherland Shire but couldn't find anything nice in his price range. They ended up buying a place at Harrington Park (near Narellan) I think.

It's one of those 'planned communities' but apparantly done quite well. They have a community website http://www.harrington-park.com/ with lots of social events and a man-made lake etc. You could check it out.
Thanks NickyC,

I am going to check out prices etc....
I fell in love with MT Annun on holiday. But again I haven't come across any opinions on the area.

I guess I have to just continue my research on sydney suburbs LOL
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:27 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

why is bankstown so dire, i thought it was a big student campus, is there no life here or is it really run down or just full of character pdepending how you look at it.
I like slightly worn places not ALL new and shiny.

does this fit the bill for me or is it really rough as well as the people.

Can you liken it to anywhere in the uk or even 3 or 4 parts of it say like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.