Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:38 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Opinions on Sydney Surburbs

If I was working at North Ryde, I would live on the north shore, probably around Lane Cove. This way you're only 10kms to the city for w/end outings, and 10kms to work. There are alot of nice unit rentals at Lane cove. The suburb is busy, yet leafy with a great reputation.

Being in your 20's, and childfree, I wouldn't advise living out in the burbs. It can be a logistical nightmare if you want to go out on w/ends. It's also very multicultural out west with high crime and bogan people.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:40 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
why is bankstown so dire, i thought it was a big student campus, is there no life here or is it really run down or just full of character pdepending how you look at it.
I like slightly worn places not ALL new and shiny.

does this fit the bill for me or is it really rough as well as the people.

Can you liken it to anywhere in the uk or even 3 or 4 parts of it say like
I wonderted that - on the face of it, it looks quite nice, and has some quite nice looking areas, with some pleasant and reasonably priced properties. The centre has just been earmarked for a multi million dollar makeover to give it a new edge. I initially started looking at some places there, only to be put off by just about everybody as soon as I mentioned the name.

I think that the locals don't like it because there is a high concentration of Lebanese people there. Now I don't mind that, as I lived in Leicester for 12 years, and know multicultural inside out. What they said however is that the locals may not take kindly to somebody like me moving there.

I guess you would have to go and try it before drawing any real conclusions.

S
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

why is bankstown so dire, i thought it was a big student campus, is there no life here or is it really run down or just full of character pdepending how you look at it.
I like slightly worn places not ALL new and shiny.

does this fit the bill for me or is it really rough as well as the people.

Can you liken it to anywhere in the uk or even 3 or 4 parts of it say like
Bankstown area doesn't seem that bad when you look at it - fairly bland and unexciting, typical suburban area with a mixture of 1940-1970s housing and lots of small apartment blocks. Very large shopping mall in Bankstown. It might have a campus of the Uni of Western Sydney near, but it's not known for being a student area.

Main issue is that Bankstown is near Lakemba and Lakemba has a large mosque, therefore most of the suburbs around have a big muslim population. The notorious gang-rapist Bilal Skaf and his mates came from that area.

There are nicer suburbs to live in.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:56 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

why is bankstown so dire
3 words: too many muslims

Being anglo, you are the minority in suburbs like Bankstown. Many middle-eastern immigrants have set up ghettos in Sydney. Bankstown is a great example of this - so to is Auburn and surrounds.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:53 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an area that is great for kids. (My Daughter is going to be four in march of this year and my son had just turned 2).

Affordable housing, about 1/2 hour from Liverpool and commutable distance to the CBD?

I know I am asking for alot. But I need an area that is safe, easy access to my folks that live in Prestons,Liverpool.

As well as I don't want my husband spending hours on the train getting to work.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 12:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by utopia
Is there an area that is great for kids. (My Daughter is going to be four in march of this year and my son had just turned 2).

Affordable housing, about 1/2 hour from Liverpool and commutable distance to the CBD?

I know I am asking for alot. But I need an area that is safe, easy access to my folks that live in Prestons,Liverpool.

As well as I don't want my husband spending hours on the train getting to work.
Check out the Sutherland Shire. Nice people, safe for kids, reasonable prices, 30-45 min on the train to the CBD, and probably 30-45 min to Liverpool.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:32 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
Check out the Sutherland Shire. Nice people, safe for kids, reasonable prices, 30-45 min on the train to the CBD, and probably 30-45 min to Liverpool.
Is sutherland shire an oldish area?

I need something that has a few decent shops and bars/cafes/pubs that have been around for a while. i.e. an established community not a new estate with 1 pub and a couple of shops.

I also like character properties not new estates, is there anything like this in the shire.

Thanks for ANY clues.

al
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:23 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Is sutherland shire an oldish area?

I need something that has a few decent shops and bars/cafes/pubs that have been around for a while. i.e. an established community not a new estate with 1 pub and a couple of shops.

I also like character properties not new estates, is there anything like this in the shire.

Thanks for ANY clues.

al

Hi Al,

I think MD was replying to my last post! Hope that is OK?
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Its just we are so stuck as to what areas to buy in as well!

Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:34 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia
Hi Al,

I think MD was replying to my last post! Hope that is OK?
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Its just we are so stuck as to what areas to buy in as well!

sorry, i hit quote rather than new reply.
'
We are all looking for a similar area so we are all chipping in

al
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadine23
Hi - Balmain is lovely! I can recommend it, nice feeling and good shops,bars,places to have coffee etc. We are going to live there and are in our early thirties with no kids - it's a great place!
Snap! We are both around the same age and without kids yet. I love Balmain. It's definitely top of our list although there are a couple of other places we are considering. Took a good look around when we validated in December and confirmed that it's definitely our top spot.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Paddington in the Eastern Suburbs is great - old character properties, easy commute to city, lots of bars and restaurants, and a huge park on your doorstep for outdoor activities.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by suzimc
Snap! We are both around the same age and without kids yet. I love Balmain. It's definitely top of our list although there are a couple of other places we are considering. Took a good look around when we validated in December and confirmed that it's definitely our top spot.
Are you going to rent or buy in balmain please. We are looking therre too.

We are childless and young mid to late 30s people.

Are the websites of realestate.com.au and domain.com.au representative of the prices in the areas or do you think there are cheaper houses not advertised here.

Thanks

al
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hubbard
Paddington in the Eastern Suburbs is great - old character properties, easy commute to city, lots of bars and restaurants, and a huge park on your doorstep for outdoor activities.
is it cheap or dear there

We have a budget of about £150,000 for a 2/3bed house

al
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Balmain is great. Loads of bars, restaurants, character property, ferry.........
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to rent or buy in balmain please. We are looking therre too.

We are childless and young mid to late 30s people.

Are the websites of realestate.com.au and domain.com.au representative of the prices in the areas or do you think there are cheaper houses not advertised here.

Thanks

al
I'm not sure if we'll rent or buy initially, it depends on what contract they put my hubby on (if it's an ex-pat contract then they may provided rented accom initially) but the plan is to buy there in the long run. I use domain.com.au most regularly and realestate.com.au from time to time too. There are others out there, but I don't have the info here with me right now. I'll have a look what else I have once I get home and come back to you.... I can't really comment on whether the prices are representative until I am there and looking in person, but my guess is that they are relatively realistic - it's a popular area and houses seem to get snapped up pretty quickly. The good thing is that they will then tend to hold their value though.

Are you planning to buy or rent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.