Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opinion needed - Indian Restaurant, Birkdale

Opinion needed - Indian Restaurant, Birkdale

Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:55 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Question Opinion needed - Indian Restaurant, Birkdale

Hi,

The below restaurant has been mentioned several times on this forum;

The Spice Avenue Balti Restaurant
Aquatic Paradise Shopping Centre
190 Birkdale Road, Birkdale QLD
07 3822 9822
The first Balti Restaurant in QLD, Indian Food UK style.
All food cooked and served as in our UK branch

My question is, is it really THAT good?! I told my partner about it, and he's thinking we should go, the thing is we were going to invite some friends along, but because its quite a drive we want to make sure we're not going to get there and be disappointed!

For those of you who've been, how far would you be willing to drive to it (say you moved further away). Another one we've had recommended to us is just in Southbank, obviously a lot closer if there were any doubts!!

Thanks for all your help
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:16 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Opinion needed - Indian Restaurant, Birkdale

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi,

The below restaurant has been mentioned several times on this forum;

The Spice Avenue Balti Restaurant
Aquatic Paradise Shopping Centre
190 Birkdale Road, Birkdale QLD
07 3822 9822
The first Balti Restaurant in QLD, Indian Food UK style.
All food cooked and served as in our UK branch

My question is, is it really THAT good?! I told my partner about it, and he's thinking we should go, the thing is we were going to invite some friends along, but because its quite a drive we want to make sure we're not going to get there and be disappointed!

For those of you who've been, how far would you be willing to drive to it (say you moved further away). Another one we've had recommended to us is just in Southbank, obviously a lot closer if there were any doubts!!

Thanks for all your help
Thanks for reminded me about this one, I still haven't got there, but do intended to. The local forum has had some good reviews of it, something like: the best Indian curry outside Birmingham was mentioned.

The Dagboys and mcmercer have been there.

Now you have mentioned it, I could take my wife there for our upcoming wedding anniversary

Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:20 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Thanks for reminded me about this one, I still haven't got there, but do intended to. The local forum has had some good reviews of it, something like: the best Indian curry outside Birmingham was mentioned.

The Dagboys and mcmercer have been there.

Now you have mentioned it, I could take my wife there for our upcoming wedding anniversary

Yep, I heard similar things... and as someone who's both worked in a curry house (and went through the entire menu) and went to uni in Bradford, my curry standards pretty high

Let me know if you get there before I do!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:24 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

We have had takeaway from there a number of times. If it had been bad it would only have been once

We were only 5 mins away and used it a few times. We are now a bit further and drive to the Grand Taj on Creek Rd (on the corner of Pine Mountain Road) which is a little closer and more convenient for us now. In the past we used to get takeaway from the Little India Palace in Cleveland, which involved a 20 min drive each way. That one was recommended to me by an Indian chap I worked with at one of our customers and has always been consistently good.

I have not tried the one at Southbank so cannot compare, but I doubt you will be dissappointed by the Spice Avenue. Whether it is worth the drive rather depends how much you like Indian.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We've got takeaway from there on quite a few occasions now (we dont generally go to restaurants & eat-in, most places arent ready to cope with our boys :scared: ), we particularly liked it cos it was close to home before we moved . The food was always good, although having said that, we have found quite a few Indian places (including one at Carindale that we now go to) that we were happy with.

I think the difference is that the Spice Avenue is "british indian" food. The biggest difference I find is in the naan bread, to me curry is curry! But others rave about it. If you particularly crave "british" curry, then I would certainly give it a try. If you just fancy a meal, then Id still try it, as I said, the food is certainly good whether or not its "british" .
Old Jan 11th 2005, 3:31 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Thanks Dagboys - I shall make the other 'alf read this tonight and he can draw his own conclusions I think! I dont mind if the curry has a British, Australian or even Indian flavour but some flavour more than butter chicken is what I'm after
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Yep, I heard similar things... and as someone who's both worked in a curry house (and went through the entire menu) and went to uni in Bradford, my curry standards pretty high

Let me know if you get there before I do!
We went last night, and yes, it is British style, to the point that my wife mentioned that it made her feel like she was in England again !!

I parked my car facing the rear of their vehicle, and noticed their two branch addresses signwritten on it: Birkdale and "Wolverhampton, (3 Clevelend Street, WV1 3HL) UK".

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jan 12th 2005 at 11:37 pm. Reason: address error

Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:30 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We went last night, and yes, it is British style, to the point that my wife mentioned that it made her feel like she was in England again !!

I parked my car facing the rear of their vehicle, and noticed their two branch addresses signwritten on it: Birkdale and "Wolverhampton, (Clevelend Road) UK".

Thanks for that, though I never realised it was possible to crave curry so early in the day before
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michelle,
I missed this, but would just add our recomendation to the others, we eat from there at least once a week and have done since it opened, as brummies of course we're used to great curries, we used to go to their restaurant in wolverhampton too, so were very happy when they opened 2 minutes from our house!!!
I'd make the drive for their chicken sharegama,
see you soon,
Michaela
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:40 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

MMMMMMMmmmmmm..... this thread is making me very hungry!!

Are the poppadoms the same as we get in the UK?? I only ask because we had a lovely indian mean when we were over in November at a place in Surfers Paradise except for the poppadoms which were those microwave ones - yak! Please say that this isn't the norm as I LOVE the poppadoms best!!!!

Carole
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:40 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

MMMMMMMmmmmmm..... this thread is making me very hungry!!

Are the poppadoms the same as we get in the UK?? I only ask because we had a lovely indian mean when we were over in November at a place in Surfers Paradise except for the poppadoms which were those microwave ones - yak! Please say that this isn't the norm as I LOVE the poppadoms best!!!!

Carole
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:14 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Hi Michelle,
I missed this, but would just add our recomendation to the others, we eat from there at least once a week and have done since it opened, as brummies of course we're used to great curries, we used to go to their restaurant in wolverhampton too, so were very happy when they opened 2 minutes from our house!!!
I'd make the drive for their chicken sharegama,
see you soon,
Michaela

Thanks Michaela - we found a new place just opened up near us last week, not bad, cheap and only 2 mins away. Planning on making the trip over there to that place though, sounds yummy!
See you Friday I think?