Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening HSBC account in OZ !

Opening HSBC account in OZ !

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

We opened an account with them just over a week ago and will be telling the Commonwealth where to stick their outrageous charges!!

I dont think its a worry not having lots of branches..you dont need them..you have internet banking and telephone banking at your fingertips..how many people need ot go into a brnch very often these days?

For those going to Adelaide theres a branch in Grenfell St.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

HSBC it is then - will go on line & check it out.

If someone gave me a cheque to pay into our account when we are over there - can you send it in the post to be paid into the account or would you have to go into one of the branches to pay it in?

Just a thought!

cheers

pockygoes
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 5:29 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that plum,

We opened a UK HSBC account in Sept, they told us it would be easy to open an Oz one but had my doubts. Thought it was just a sales pitch to get our money.

Sarah
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 6:39 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Hi I'm going to be dumb now. Do you get a credit card?Can they

authorise one here in UK for issue in OZ?

If not how have you got a credit card?

Nikki x
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 7:43 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I've understood that you lot in the UK still use cheques a lot.

In Oz this is different (luckily, cos I've never used a cheque in my life!!!)
So, the need for the branche isn't as great.

And everybody is always saying they get their cash when they pay for the groceries(that's how I do it here to, not that I actually use much cash at all anyway, I use EFTPOS for everything (that's the thing that's in the shops and supermarkets, right? (I get all confused with the different names, it's called PIN here, we 'pin' our money, we use the 'pin' in the shop ))

I'm quite sure we'll be getting a HSBC online account when we get to Perth, after everything I've read on here (do a search )
If it's anything like here (and it seems it is) I'll only be going to the branche to set up an account!

Hope I haven't been too confusing

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by vicky o
Been wondering the same Pocky.
Just been on their global site and they have 2 branches in Perth. Doesn't sound much but, they only have about 20 in the whole country by the looks of it.
Still, you get 5 free ATM withdrawals at other machines and free EFTPOS so can't be bad. Who needs cash anyway??

That would be 5 free ATM withdrawals per month

...If your lucky enough to find an HSBC ATM then you get unlimited free withdrawels
BG
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:27 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by buglegirl
...If your lucky enough to find an HSBC ATM then you get unlimited free withdrawels
BG
Or, as i've said a million times already, AT THE POST OFFICE!!!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:33 pm
WBB

Originally posted by hevs
Or, as i've said a million times already, AT THE POST OFFICE!!!!!!
i think you might be exaggerating a wee tad there hev love.

for you to of said it a million times you would of needed to mention it 469.9 times per post (going on your current total of 2128) either that or your post count has been docked by 997872.

yes, i have too much time on my hands.

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

I got mine after a few weeks on my whv which i am on now, but i want to ask when i go back home is it worth keeping the account open? or should i close it might be handy if i want to live here one day or come here on holidays.

I have a usa bank account as well so dont see no reason not to keep it,very handy having other bank account around globe, more so when you go there often or maybe able to use the account often.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OK, maybe a few
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as they are not charging you there should be no need to close the account.

I have just opened an account online. I guess when I have sent in the ID they will send my BSB and account no to wire the money to.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:34 pm
ABCDiamond

It appears to need to be mentioned more than once,
but HSBC Deposits and Withrawals can be made at
2,500 POST offices throughout Australia.

With the Online Savings Account you get
4.5% interest on balances over $2,000,
but only 0.50% p.a on balances under this figure.

The standard Savings Cheque Account
only gives:
0.25% p.a. - $0-$4,999
0.85% p.a. - $5,000-$19,999
1.10% p.a. - $20,000-$99,999
1.60% p.a. - Over $100,000

If your initial deposit is less than $2,000 then you do NOT have the online account.

quote:
A: There is a minimum of A$2,000 deposit required to open an Online Savings Account,

B: Minimum opening deposit of AUD1,000 to open a Savings Cheque Account