Dentists

Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dentists

Can anyone tell me if the cost of check ups etc is covered or part covered by Medicare as it is here in the UK ? Is it free for children ?

If not, then approx how much are check ups, fillings and x-rays as my teeth are really bad and I'm always needing fillings ?

Thanks - H

Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:03 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Dentists

Originally posted by ohippy
Can anyone tell me if the cost of check ups etc is covered or part covered by Medicare as it is here in the UK ? Is it free for children ?

If not, then approx how much are check ups, fillings and x-rays as my teeth are really bad and I'm always needing fillings ?

Thanks - H

The answer is NO, it isnt free.
At my local dentist:

A standard check up cost $30
A clean cost $70
Two fillings costs $110 ($55 each)

An extraction cost $100 for a childs tooth.

A freee dental service, in teaching hospitals, is available, but only to Health Care Card holders, I think. Waiting time is not short.

Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - so as I generally get an abcess a year plus numerous fillings would I be better off getting dental insurance ?
Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:29 am
ABCDiamond

OMG - so as I generally get an abcess a year plus numerous fillings would I be better off getting dental insurance ?
Yep, I think that may be worthwhile for you. But check out the different companies for payment limits.

I don't have cover myself, so can't advise on this point.

Old Mar 20th 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone know which companies in WA offer dental insurance ?

It'd be great if I could look up some details of policies and costs beforehand so I know wha I'm letting myself in for

Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2004, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Even if you don't get hospital private health insurance you can get something called "extras" which cover you for dental,optical, physio and other "therapies".

You will still have to pay part of the bills but I have found it worth it.

Medibank Private and MBF are the biggest health funds in Queensland but I don't know about WA.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I'm in Perth and we use HBF for our dental cover. I get about 1/3 - 1/2 back and also covered for physio and ambulance. I pay about $130 a quarter I think.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I'm in Perth and we use HBF for our dental cover. I get about 1/3 - 1/2 back and also covered for physio and ambulance. I pay about $130 a quarter I think.
Is the $130 just for you or does it cover a family ? I guess what concerns me most is my kids. If they end up needing braces (like it seems almost all kids over here do) it could bankrupt me !
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I need to upgrade mine to the next one up cos this one doesn't cover braces and the dentist said my son would need them. I think it will only be a few extra $$ per month though. That is for a family of 4.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:36 am
owieb

Most of the private health funds have a waiting period for dental treatment (ie you can't claim during this period), anywhere from 3-6 months for normal dental work and 12 months for bigger jobs such are crowns, bridges and root canal work.

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Yup - I have a crown that needs "attending to" which will have to wait till June till I can claim. At $500 a pop then it'll have to wait till I can get 1/2 back!!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Yup - I have a crown that needs "attending to" which will have to wait till June till I can claim. At $500 a pop then it'll have to wait till I can get 1/2 back!!

That's a fortune !! Are there any plans which give 100% cover so you don't have to pay anything ?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I had a dental check-up today. Came out in a state of shock, not 'cos I'm scared of dentists, but how much it cost me! I'm glad I've never had problems with my teeth, for anyone likely to need crowns, root canal work, you must surely benefit from dental insurance?

The check-up I had included x-rays as this was the first time I've been to that practice - $96. The check-up was very thorough and the dentist took time to explain everything that he was checking for, much better than the quick poke about from my old NHS dentist. I need one filling replaced and a visit to the hygienist, that will set me back $196!!! Still if dental insurance (as someone quoted above) costs about $500 a year for basic cover, then I'm better off without it.

We have had excellent treatment for the kids from the school dentist. I can't understand why parents would want to go private. When my three first started school here, they had an initial consultation with the dental nurse, then a thorough check-up including x-rays for the eldest with the dentist. Then a good scale and polish. My eldest broke a front tooth a few months later, so we had to go back for emergency treatment, and the repair is so good you can't tell it isn't her real tooth. The dental check-ups are normally once a year, but because my children swim a lot and get staining from the chlorine, they've been put down for twice-yearly visits for cleaning. The only worrying thing is that my eldest has now been referred to an orthodontist to have her "bite" checked, and I have to pay for that. Free dental treatment is available for all children here up to year 11, regardless of income or private/public school.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

At least that's good news - do all schools provide free dentists, primary and secondary ?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:32 pm
ABCDiamond

At least that's good news - do all schools provide free dentists, primary and secondary ?
My daughter is now in year 3, that means 4th year of school, and she has never seen a school dentist.
The first 2 years were in NSW, and the rest here in QLD.

Maybe WA has a different system ? or have we just missed out ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.