Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

opening bank accounts from uk

opening bank accounts from uk

Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Default opening bank accounts from uk

Hi, i want to open a bank account in Australia from the uk, i think this would be a good idea to direct debit around ten pounds a month to raise my credit rating before i arrive.
has anyone already done this and how do you go about doing this?
I currently bank with the TSB here in the uk.

Any help would be great

Thanks Chris.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening bank accounts from uk

Originally Posted by chris96
Hi, i want to open a bank account in Australia from the uk, i think this would be a good idea to direct debit around ten pounds a month to raise my credit rating before i arrive.

Any help would be great

Thanks Chris.
I'll move this into the Lifestyle forum as you will get more responses, but you need to know - you can't direct debit UK-Aus, though you can do transfers via various companies, which you have to action each time.
Also apart from the fact that this will get you established with a particular bank, it won't affect your credit rating, as things like that work differently here, and regular payments such as you suggest won't affect your ability to borrow etc in the long run
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Any help would be great

Thanks Chris.
https://ola.anz.com/noah/app/dda/wel...sp?apptype=436

you can do a direct transfer to any bank to any bank.

hope this is of help to you.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:56 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Any help would be great

Thanks Chris.
Things don't seem to work like that here... This is an extract from an email from my bank manager at Westpac...

"I have attached an application form for a credit card, if you wish to proceed just complete and fax back to me.You will normally have to be receiving more than 15k per year. As for building up a credit history. In Australia it works slightly different to the UK and normally you are judged on not having a bad credit rating as to building up a credit rating. Having a credit card will help but it is not as essential as it is in the UK."

Rod