Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening an Aussie Bank Account

Opening an Aussie Bank Account

Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Opening an Aussie Bank Account

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I applied online with NAB and they want to rush us $10 per month unless we have $10k balance which is worse than Commonwealth @ $6 p/m - no minimum balance.
I phoned the UK Immigration line at NAB and asked specifically about fees and she advised me that there were none. I opened an account with them and then received their T&C in the post with the $10/ $10k figures listed. I looked at their website and there is a T&C booklet effective Jan 2010 which supersedes the one received in the post. I might just drop them a line to ask...
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I applied online with NAB and they want to rush us $10 per month unless we have $10k balance which is worse than Commonwealth @ $6 p/m - no minimum balance.
NAB Classic Banking $0 fee

NAB Gold Banking $10 pm fee (waived with $5000 per month deposit) Benefits: No foreign currency fees and no Foreign ATM fees. NAB Gold Visa Debit card and 90 Day Purchase Protection Insurance.
Attached Thumbnails Opening an Aussie Bank Account-nab.jpg  

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Feb 5th 2010 at 11:22 am.

Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
NAB Classic Banking $0 fee

NAB Gold Banking $10 pm fee (waived with $5000 per month deposit) Benefits: No foreign currency fees and no Foreign ATM fees. NAB Gold Visa Debit card and 90 Day Purchase Protection Insurance.
Thanks guys. I'll just go with one of them for now (joint account) to move money over, then open seprate bank accounts over there once we know what the rig is.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

Hi

we opened our account with Commonwealth Bank of Australia as it was one of the big 4 and they were the only ones who didn't want us to present ourselves at their office (in London). We just filled the forms in and sent copies of our passports which had to be signed by the post office (they didn' charge either).

We had a holding account in London which we transferred money into (like when we sold our house). We selected where we wanted our branch to be and once we knew where we were going we arranged a day to go and collect our cards etc it was seamless and sooo easy.

We did move some money over before we got here then we just call the London office to move the rest as and when we were ready. We got 3 free transfers and after that any transfers under £30,000 was £15.

Don't know about the others as I've not had any interaction with them but I am happy with our choice.

Good luck
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Vindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
What ID is required to open an Aussie Bank Account?!

Hi.
We opened a ANZ account last time we were in OZ, they wouldn't accept a UK credit card, they accepted our passport and Medicare card.
We were only out on a visitor visa and the Medicare card did the trick.

Good luck

Les