British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Opening an Aussie Bank Account (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/opening-aussie-bank-account-651760/)

Jen1977ni Jan 28th 2010 7:00 pm

Opening an Aussie Bank Account

What ID is required to open an Aussie Bank Account?!

Janna and Nick Jan 28th 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Opening an Aussie Bank Account

You need to pass the 100 points test. Passports are 70 points and a drivers licence is 40 points (full licence with a photo). Another one would be a credit card but that is only 25 points.
:)

Jen1977ni Jan 28th 2010 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 8291255)
You need to pass the 100 points test. Passports are 70 points and a drivers licence is 40 points (full licence with a photo). Another one would be a credit card but that is only 25 points.

Brill so our UK driving license should be fine then? Simon was worried he might need his birth certificate which is in the sea freight, DOH, along with the V5 for his car EVEN MORE DOHS, which is being sold 2moro DOH LOL

Janna and Nick Jan 28th 2010 7:24 pm

From what I've read, they may even just accept the passport as proof. Although you have something like 3 months only before you then have to provide anything else. So do it asap I guess.

Also did you know you can open accounts before your leave the UK?

Jen1977ni Jan 28th 2010 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 8291294)
From what I've read, they may even just accept the passport as proof. Although you have something like 3 months only before you then have to provide anything else. So do it asap I guess.

Yeah, but we just weren't sure which bank to go with as yet...

Centurion Jan 28th 2010 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 8291255)

Not within 3 months of arrival you don't. Just your passport and visa is fine.

Jen1977ni Jan 28th 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8291374)
Not within 3 months of arrival you don't. Just your passport and visa is fine.

Oh ok, cool :)

77hil Jan 28th 2010 9:18 pm

Is Commonwealth generaly the most handy?

hotfuss Jan 28th 2010 9:39 pm

We opened a joint account with Commonwealth with just passports.. easy as pie..

ABCDiamond Jan 28th 2010 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by 77hil (Post 8291590)
Is Commonwealth generaly the most handy?

I haven't banked with them for many years, but I would say that they did have their hands in my wallet more often that I did, so "handy"... yes ! :lol:

These days, many are the same, but NAB, being a high street bank with no fees, seems like a good option for many.

No monthly account service fee:
Unlike some other banks, you won’t need to make minimum deposits or maintain a minimum balance to be eligible.
www.nab.com.au

Aussie30 Jan 28th 2010 10:24 pm

My advice is to go with a Credit Union :thumbup:

LouiseR Jan 29th 2010 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 8291294)

With Westpac we were told 6 weeks is the timescale we had for us just to be able to show passports, after that it's the 100 point ID thingymajig! :)

spottydog Jan 29th 2010 6:52 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8291732)
These days, many are the same, but NAB, being a high street bank with no fees, seems like a good option for many.

I think all the big 4 are no longer charging monthly fees as long as you pay in $2k a month.

If you aren't planning on opening an account until you get here I would look and see who has the most cashpoints in the area you are planning on living and open an account with that one as you generally get charged for using the cashpoint of a bank you don't bank with.

ABCDiamond Jan 29th 2010 7:02 am

Originally Posted by spottydog (Post 8292636)
I think all the big 4 are no longer charging monthly fees as long as you pay in $2k a month.

If you aren't planning on opening an account until you get here I would look and see who has the most cashpoints in the area you are planning on living and open an account with that one as you generally get charged for using the cashpoint of a bank you don't bank with.

I think they have all been doing that for many years, but NAB are the first, of those 4, to not charge, even without regular deposits.

garyp Jan 29th 2010 7:37 am

Westpac waiver fees if you pay in $2000 monthly and also just had email off them to say new migrants have fee waived for 6 months even though this is not stated on their website.