British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Opening an Aussie Bank Account (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/opening-aussie-bank-account-651760/)

GaryVFR8 Jan 28th 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Opening an Aussie Bank Account

Originally Posted by garyp (Post 8292705)
Westpac waiver fees if you pay in $2000 monthly and also just had email off them to say new migrants have fee waived for 6 months even though this is not stated on their website.

Like people have said the thing I would check on would be local ATM's when I moved over I opened a westpac account, But after a few months realised that Commonwealth had a better ATM network so moved over to them, Been really happy and they have lots of handy things, Like SMS balance alerts and SMS to remind me when the CC is due.
Gary

Centurion Jan 28th 2010 10:43 pm

NAB. No fees. More branches. ATMs everywhere. Migrant banking to open your bank account from the UK. Really, quite why anyone would bank with anyone else and actually pay fees is beyond me.

ossigeno Jan 29th 2010 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Aussie30 (Post 8291751)
My advice is to go with a Credit Union :thumbup:

I do too. Australian call center, nothing offshored. Service is wonderful.

SOTR Jan 29th 2010 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8291374)
Not within 3 months of arrival you don't. Just your passport and visa is fine.

I'm arriving next week, and I was panicing that I wouldn't be able to open a bank account, without a permanent address (I'm staying in a hostel for the first week). I start work pretty much as soon as I arrive in OZ... so I need somewhere for my pay to be deposited!

Can I open an account somewhere without a permanent address? I'll be able to produce my passport, visa details and job contract...

paularn Jan 29th 2010 2:02 am

I just opened a Westpac bank account online 2 days ago. Have 3 months to 'verify' things, it said I can transfer money into the account but I wouldn't be able to do anything with it until we go in and show proof.

I also didn't have a permanent address when I opened it (although I have since secured a rental)

SOTR Jan 29th 2010 6:15 am

Originally Posted by paularn (Post 8293515)
I just opened a Westpac bank account online 2 days ago. Have 3 months to 'verify' things, it said I can transfer money into the account but I wouldn't be able to do anything with it until we go in and show proof.

I also didn't have a permanent address when I opened it (although I have since secured a rental)

How long before you were able to aquire a cash card? Did you have to wait until you could give them a permanent address... or could you pick one up at a branch?

Dreamy Jan 29th 2010 6:59 am

Originally Posted by SOTR (Post 8294057)
How long before you were able to aquire a cash card? Did you have to wait until you could give them a permanent address... or could you pick one up at a branch?

You let them know when you're going to arrive and which branch and you can collect cash cards etc when you go in with your passport.

We did all that with just a short term let as our address, once you have a more permanent address you can either call into a branch to change the details (they do it there and then) or if you have phone banking you can do it over the phone.

Centurion Jan 29th 2010 7:00 am

Originally Posted by SOTR (Post 8293468)
I'm arriving next week, and I was panicing that I wouldn't be able to open a bank account, without a permanent address (I'm staying in a hostel for the first week). I start work pretty much as soon as I arrive in OZ... so I need somewhere for my pay to be deposited!

Can I open an account somewhere without a permanent address? I'll be able to produce my passport, visa details and job contract...

You may need to talk to the bank. They need to send your EFTPOS card somewhere. Perhaps you can collect it in branch. Why not give them a call ?

NAB Migrant Banking. +44 (0)20 8614 9320 (9am - 4pm GMT, Monday - Friday)

ozhappy981 Jan 29th 2010 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by SOTR (Post 8293468)

Originally Posted by SOTR (Post 8294057)

If you open a bank account on arrival, all you need to produce is your passport! (It's only if you do it 8 or so weeks after arrival - can't remember the exact timeframe - that you need to produce additional docs to open an account.)

"Cash cards" are called "debit cards" here. You apply for it at the same time when you apply to open the bank account. It will take them a week to 10 days and you can either pick it up at the branch or have it posted to your hostel (or wherever).

We opened our bank account by telephone from the UK. We then faxed the branch ten days before we were due to arrive and our debit cards were ready and waiting for us. But you've left it too late for that.

So just walk into a branch on day 1 with your passport and set it all up then.

GaryVFR8 Jan 31st 2010 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 8295322)
If you open a bank account on arrival, all you need to produce is your passport! (It's only if you do it 8 or so weeks after arrival - can't remember the exact timeframe - that you need to produce additional docs to open an account.)

"Cash cards" are called "debit cards" here. You apply for it at the same time when you apply to open the bank account. It will take them a week to 10 days and you can either pick it up at the branch or have it posted to your hostel (or wherever).

We opened our bank account by telephone from the UK. We then faxed the branch ten days before we were due to arrive and our debit cards were ready and waiting for us. But you've left it too late for that.

So just walk into a branch on day 1 with your passport and set it all up then.

What you said there about walk into a branch with passport on day 1 is the way I did it. The other good thing with this is walk around the different banks and see who gives you the best service. I would not rush into any getting any account, Check local ATM's and who has the most near by.
My choice is the Commonwealth, All call centres located in Australia and fee free banking if you deposit $2000 per month, Debit mastercard access. and a really good netbanking.
Gary

ABCDiamond Jan 31st 2010 2:34 pm

Don't forget that you don't need ATM's around, most of the time, as you can always get cash out from the supermarkets and other shops, with no charges.

Alfresco Feb 4th 2010 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8293153)
NAB. No fees. More branches. ATMs everywhere. Migrant banking to open your bank account from the UK. Really, quite why anyone would bank with anyone else and actually pay fees is beyond me.

I applied online with NAB and they want to rush us $10 per month unless we have $10k balance which is worse than Commonwealth @ $6 p/m - no minimum balance. :blink:

GaryVFR8 Feb 4th 2010 8:34 am

If your with the Commonwealth there are two fee options $4 or $6, The $6 is only worth having if you visit branches to withdraw money more than once a month or write more than two cheques per month.
Gary

nevsy Feb 4th 2010 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8291233)
What ID is required to open an Aussie Bank Account?!

Open an account with Suncorp date of arrival passport and postal address in oz was all that was required.Then again if your going to deposit a large amount of cash they are'nt going to turn you away.

Nev:eek:

elice_in_oz Feb 4th 2010 10:49 pm

We went with HSBC (were with them in the UK) and can't remember a problem. I do think we had to make an initial deposit of maybe $2000 but that's it. As for the Aussie big 4 banks, I would not touch them with a barge pole. They only recently introduced no fees banking (as though they'd just discovered the wheel and we should all be grateful!) and they tend to charge for everything they can get away with. Most will have a limited number of fee free transactions or a minimum amount to have in the account at all times to avoid fees.
HSBC has NEVER in the last 7 years charged us for any transaction, except over the counter stuff like bank cheques or withdrawals. They also have an agreement with Westpac (one of the big 4) which allows us UNLIMITED ATM access across the country.

Credir unions are also good. Just got a mortgage with Members Equity Bank and they've been great. It's no frills, but it's one of the best interest rate around...

Just my humble opinion anyway :D