Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Open UK bank account from OZ

Open UK bank account from OZ

Old Jun 17th 2020, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Perthscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open UK bank account from OZ

Can I open a UK bank account from Australia if I don’t have a UK address and withdraw from the account into Australian bank?

Last edited by Perthscot; Jun 17th 2020 at 9:30 am.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 12:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open UK bank account from OZ

Originally Posted by Perthscot
Can I open a UK bank account from Australia if I don’t have a UK address and withdraw from the account into Australian bank?
I stand to be corrected, but I don't think that it will be easy to do. The UK is notoriously fickle when it comes to opening a bank account

Others may know of a way
Old Jun 17th 2020, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

We opened a British HSBC account in Perth WA while still living in Australia, it was very easy to do, our bank cards were posted to our Australian address and we used them while we lived in WA without any problems..
Old Jun 18th 2020, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We opened a British HSBC account in Perth WA while still living in Australia, it was very easy to do, our bank cards were posted to our Australian address and we used them while we lived in WA without any problems..
Did you already have an account with HSBC over here? That would make it easier.

Also, how long ago was that? The anti-money laundering laws can make it difficult to open an account even if you are UK resident and in the UK these days.

Many UK banks also have a blanket policy not to permit non-UK residents to open accounts, I think because the additional international tax reporting they have to do makes it not worth their while.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
I want to open one while remaining to live in Australia, hsbc needs minimum 50k. Balance
Old Jun 18th 2020, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I want to open one while remaining to live in Australia, hsbc needs minimum 50k. Balance
Yep. 10 years ago it was 50k GBP. Not sure if that's changed.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 3:22 am
Just Joined

SMRL is an unknown quantity at this point

A transferwise borderless account might do the trick, depending on your needs. Open it in Australia and you can add a UK account to it once set up, with local sort code and account number etc. It has limitations but it allows direct debits and can easily transfer cash between accounts. I have an account setup for UK and Aus, but also set one up for USA to use during a holiday there, as well as singapore to pay in local currency in the airport during transit. You use the same card (mastercard debit) whichever country you're in and it functions as a local account card.
Revolut have a similar service but I havent used theirs as extensively
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SMRL
A transferwise borderless account might do the trick, depending on your needs. Open it in Australia and you can add a UK account to it once set up, with local sort code and account number etc. It has limitations but it allows direct debits and can easily transfer cash between accounts. I have an account setup for UK and Aus, but also set one up for USA to use during a holiday there, as well as singapore to pay in local currency in the airport during transit. You use the same card (mastercard debit) whichever country you're in and it functions as a local account card.
Revolut have a similar service but I havent used theirs as extensively
looking at the possibility of satisfying a UK SIPP that I have a UK bank account, reckon this would do the trick?
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:15 am
Just Joined

SMRL is an unknown quantity at this point

looking at the possibility of satisfying a UK SIPP that I have a UK bank account, reckon this would do the trick?
I'm sorry I didn't know the answer to this.

If it is to evidence UK residence it may not be sufficient, as my statements show my currently registered address (ie Australia).

When I first setup the account it wasn't yet available in Australia and I was able to use a still valid UK drivers licence as "proof" of address at a family members home in the UK. The account showed this as my UK address on statements until it became available in Australia. I then updated my address to Australia at that time. I did the same with revolut. Both are FCA regulated I believe so function as a UK bank - might be worth exploring

Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SMRL
I'm sorry I didn't know the answer to this.

If it is to evidence UK residence it may not be sufficient, as my statements show my currently registered address (ie Australia).

When I first setup the account it wasn't yet available in Australia and I was able to use a still valid UK drivers licence as "proof" of address at a family members home in the UK. The account showed this as my UK address on statements until it became available in Australia. I then updated my address to Australia at that time. I did the same with revolut. Both are FCA regulated I believe so function as a UK bank - might be worth exploring
thanks, it may be worth exploring but I think it might be obvious if I asked them the question