British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Open UK bank account from OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/open-uk-bank-account-oz-933255/)

Perthscot Jun 17th 2020 9:27 am

Open UK bank account from OZ

Can I open a UK bank account from Australia if I don’t have a UK address and withdraw from the account into Australian bank?

Amazulu Jun 17th 2020 12:32 pm

Re: Open UK bank account from OZ

Originally Posted by Perthscot (Post 12868067)
Can I open a UK bank account from Australia if I don’t have a UK address and withdraw from the account into Australian bank?

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think that it will be easy to do. The UK is notoriously fickle when it comes to opening a bank account

Others may know of a way

brits1 Jun 17th 2020 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Perthscot (Post 12868067)

We opened a British HSBC account in Perth WA while still living in Australia, it was very easy to do, our bank cards were posted to our Australian address and we used them while we lived in WA without any problems..

louie Jun 18th 2020 12:29 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12868324)
We opened a British HSBC account in Perth WA while still living in Australia, it was very easy to do, our bank cards were posted to our Australian address and we used them while we lived in WA without any problems..

Did you already have an account with HSBC over here? That would make it easier.

Also, how long ago was that? The anti-money laundering laws can make it difficult to open an account even if you are UK resident and in the UK these days.

Many UK banks also have a blanket policy not to permit non-UK residents to open accounts, I think because the additional international tax reporting they have to do makes it not worth their while.

Perthscot Jun 18th 2020 4:46 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12868324)

I want to open one while remaining to live in Australia, hsbc needs minimum 50k. Balance

Beoz Jun 18th 2020 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Perthscot (Post 12868564)
I want to open one while remaining to live in Australia, hsbc needs minimum 50k. Balance

Yep. 10 years ago it was 50k GBP. Not sure if that's changed.

SMRL Jun 19th 2020 3:22 am

A transferwise borderless account might do the trick, depending on your needs. Open it in Australia and you can add a UK account to it once set up, with local sort code and account number etc. It has limitations but it allows direct debits and can easily transfer cash between accounts. I have an account setup for UK and Aus, but also set one up for USA to use during a holiday there, as well as singapore to pay in local currency in the airport during transit. You use the same card (mastercard debit) whichever country you're in and it functions as a local account card.
Revolut have a similar service but I havent used theirs as extensively

Perthscot Jun 19th 2020 5:01 am

Originally Posted by SMRL (Post 12869048)
A transferwise borderless account might do the trick, depending on your needs. Open it in Australia and you can add a UK account to it once set up, with local sort code and account number etc. It has limitations but it allows direct debits and can easily transfer cash between accounts. I have an account setup for UK and Aus, but also set one up for USA to use during a holiday there, as well as singapore to pay in local currency in the airport during transit. You use the same card (mastercard debit) whichever country you're in and it functions as a local account card.
Revolut have a similar service but I havent used theirs as extensively

looking at the possibility of satisfying a UK SIPP that I have a UK bank account, reckon this would do the trick?

SMRL Jun 19th 2020 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Perthscot (Post 12869071)
looking at the possibility of satisfying a UK SIPP that I have a UK bank account, reckon this would do the trick?

I'm sorry I didn't know the answer to this.

If it is to evidence UK residence it may not be sufficient, as my statements show my currently registered address (ie Australia).

When I first setup the account it wasn't yet available in Australia and I was able to use a still valid UK drivers licence as "proof" of address at a family members home in the UK. The account showed this as my UK address on statements until it became available in Australia. I then updated my address to Australia at that time. I did the same with revolut. Both are FCA regulated I believe so function as a UK bank - might be worth exploring

Perthscot Jun 19th 2020 5:48 am

Originally Posted by SMRL (Post 12869074)
I'm sorry I didn't know the answer to this.

If it is to evidence UK residence it may not be sufficient, as my statements show my currently registered address (ie Australia).

When I first setup the account it wasn't yet available in Australia and I was able to use a still valid UK drivers licence as "proof" of address at a family members home in the UK. The account showed this as my UK address on statements until it became available in Australia. I then updated my address to Australia at that time. I did the same with revolut. Both are FCA regulated I believe so function as a UK bank - might be worth exploring

thanks, it may be worth exploring but I think it might be obvious if I asked them the question