Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One Year on!!! :-)

One Year on!!! :-)

Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light
Talking One Year on!!!

It has been a while since I have been on BE. I have just realised that it is a year since I finished work in the UK and what a year it has flown by and so much has gone on.

Anyway finished work on 22nd June 2005, house was due to Exchange on 23rd but it fell through at the last hour. So now out of work, visa in my passport and still a house to sell!!

Managed to find another buyer in 5 weeks and exchanged one week later! Completed on 28th August, Crown relocations arrived on 27th to pack up the house. They were really good, nothing broken when it all arrived, the packers did mention that it is a bit pot luck with Crown, if you get one of the full time staff then you tend to get a good service as they have more pride in there work, but Crown are taking on more and more contractors which is having a negative impact.

Anyway left the UK on 1st September with a good friend and flew to Moscow spent 5 days in Moscow which was great. Then got the train to Irkutsk, Siberia, when on a 3 day tour to Lake Baikal which was the most unbelievable place, it has the largest natural water lake in the world.

Next was on the train again to Mongolia, spent 4 days there which again was fantastic, back on the train again to Beijing. Spent a week in Beijing on then on the train again to Xian to see the Terra-cotta Army spent four days there.

Then flew down to Chengdu on an knackered plane which was an experience, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole flight.

Chengdu was good and bad, went to the Panda breeding centre which was great, but to make it even better I was able to sit next to a teenage Panda and feed it, this was a great experience which I feel privileged to have been able to do, this was the good. The bad was that I have down with a lung and blood infection which put me in Peoples Hospital Number 3, it puts the NHS to shame. It cost about 40UKP for 3 days for everything thing including my own room and English speaking nurse. They could not have done anything more. Ended up spending two weeks in Chengdu recovering before getting on the a bus to Chongqing where we started the The Gorges Cruise.

After that on the bus again to Shanghai spent 5 days then got the train to Hong Kong where we spent a week.

From there flew to Cairns, and validated by visa in Oz on 22nd October!!!

Spent two week in Cairns having one large party!!!

Then flew down to Sydney and stayed in Coogee for 3 weeks which again was one large party! Then on to Manly to start my 4 month sailing course this was amazing. Took part in the Pittwater to Coffs harbour offshore race which was the highlight.

After the sailing thought it was about time that I started looking for a job, so made contact with the Oz branch of the company I use to work for in the UK and got offered a job immediately, but it was in Newcastle. Thought I would give it a good and have not regrets. I really like Newcastle, have been here for 3 months now and loving it. I can't ever see me moving back to the UK, should have done this years ago.

Anyway there is a lot more detail to the whole experience, but suffice to say the it has been unbelievable.

If anyone has any questions about migrating to Oz please ask it is now my time to help the BE community!!

All the best everyone with your visa applications.

PS Got quite a few jobs going in the Cisco, Wintel Server and Desk areas in Sydney and Newcastle if any one is interested.

All the best Guy

Last edited by storerg; Jul 8th 2006 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:37 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year on!!! :-)

Wow, what an experience you've had - especially the panda's
Good Luck with your new life Down Under.

Julie. x
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:44 pm
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by storerg
It has been a while since I have on BE. I have just realised that it is a year since I finished work in the UK and what a year it has flown by and so much has gone on.

Anyway finished work on 22nd June 2005, house was due to Exchange on 23rd but it fell through at the last hour. So now out of work, visa in my passport and still a house to sell!!

Managed to find another buyer in 5 weeks and exchanged one week later! Completed on 28th August, Crown relocations arrived on 27th to pack up the house. They were really good, nothing broken when it all arrived, the packers did mention that it is a bit pot luck with Crown, if you get one of the full time staff then you tend to get a good service as they have more pride in there work, but Crown are taking on more and more contractors which is having a negative impact.

Anyway left the UK on 1st September with a good friend and flew to Moscow spent 5 days in Moscow which was great. Then got the train to Irkutsk, Siberia, when on a 3 day tour to Lake Baikal which was the most unbelievable place, it has the largest natural water lake in the world.

Next was on the train again to Mongolia, spent 4 days there which again was fantastic, back on the train again to Beijing. Spent a week in Beijing on then on the train again to Xian to see the Terra-cotta Army spent four days there.

Then flew down to Chengdu on an knackered plane which was an experience, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole flight.

Chengdu was good and bad, went to the Panda breeding centre which was great, but to make it even better I was able to sit next to a teenage Panda and feed it, this was a great experience which I feel privileged to have been able to do, this was the good. The bad was that I have down with a lung and blood infection which put me in Peoples Hospital Number 3, it puts the NHS to shame. It cost about 40UKP for 3 days for everything thing including my own room and English speaking nurse. They could not have done anything more. Ended up spending two weeks in Chengdu recovering before getting on the a bus to Chongqing where we started the The Gorges Cruise.

After that on the bus again to Shanghai spent 5 days then got the train to Hong Kong where we spent a week.

Then flew down to Sydney and stayed in Coogee for 3 weeks which again was one large party! Then on to Manly to start my 4 month sailing course this was amazing. Took part in the Pittwater to Coffs harbour offshore race which was the highlight.

After the sailing thought it was about time that I started looking for a job, so made contact with the Oz branch of the company I use to work for in the UK and got offered a job immediately, but it was in Newcastle. Thought I would give it a good and have not regrets. I really like Newcastle, have been here for 3 months now and loving it. I can't ever see me moving back to the UK, should have done this years ago.

Anyway there is a lot more detail to the whole experience, but suffice to say the it has been unbelievable.

If anyone has any questions about migrating to Oz please ask it is now my time to help the BE community!!

PS Got quite a few jobs going in the Cisco, Wintel Server and Desk areas in Sydney and Newcastle if any one is interested.

All the best Guy
No, that's what I call travelling! So pleased to hear it's all going well, long may it continue!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light

PS U can send me some Karma if U want, I will return the Karma.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:40 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

PS U can send me some Karma if U want, I will return the Karma.
Consider it done
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:45 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all
Default Re: One Year on!!!

Excellent post. Look forward to hearing more about your experiences. Good luck in the new job.

ali X
Old Jul 8th 2006, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

emilov is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One Year on!!!

It has been a while since I have been on BE. I have just realised that it is a year since I finished work in the UK and what a year it has flown by and so much has gone on.

All the best Guy
WOW, what an experience
I'm moving to Brisbane on October 5th. I am also in IT (senior developer, java & .NET equally well) and looking for a job. Yes, you said that your contacts are in the Sydney area, but should you here something about Brisbane, my online resume can be found under:
http://www.emilov.de

Have a great day,
Emil
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!!!! What a fantastic experience You're never going to forget all that, and feeding a Panda OMG I'm SO jealous. Thank you for sharing it all with us.
Good luck with your new life

N
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Wow its all good, what an adventure. We are migrating to aus in october, we have family in aus so have been over a few times and done, singapore and dubai stopovers. This time round when we go for good we reallt fancy bejing/shanghai as stopover. Did you arrange it all individually or can you recommend company for booking it. We are travelling with 2 children so it may not be ideal to be travelling by train alot, but would greatly appreciate any tips on bejing/shanghai. etc

thanks

sarah-jayne - ps good luck in your future years in Aus
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know, I've been waiting for your follow-up post for bloody ages! Ever since you announced that amazing trans-globe route of yours. Really pleased it went well for you - more detail would be great.