Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one wage standard of living.

one wage standard of living.

Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all
Default one wage standard of living.

Hubby is a skilled electrician with lift maintenance experience. Just wondering what standard of living would we expect if just living off one wage ? We are in the 40 year age group. I have done mainly general office/accounts work and a touch of hairdressing. Is there a slot for something like mobile hairdressers there. Im not confident enough to work in a salon. Do you think it would be easy getting part time job in accounts ?
The pest strikes again with all the questions. Sorry
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one wage standard of living.

Originally Posted by LesleyM
Hubby is a skilled electrician with lift maintenance experience. Just wondering what standard of living would we expect if just living off one wage ? We are in the 40 year age group. I have done mainly general office/accounts work and a touch of hairdressing. Is there a slot for something like mobile hairdressers there. Im not confident enough to work in a salon. Do you think it would be easy getting part time job in accounts ?
The pest strikes again with all the questions. Sorry
These sorts of questions are always difficult to answer - I know because I tried getting answers to them myself when i was in the UK.

The first thing to remember is that you won't die - however low your wage. The second thing to ask yourself is how many of life's luxuries are you prepared to live without?

I'm not a luxuries chap myself - but I know that some people are. This is my experience:
I was earning about $64000 when I first arrived - wife didn't work. We survived OK - enough food and drink but we couldn't afford to do anything out of the ordinary. We have two young kids so we got a bit of help from Centrelink.

My salary is now $37K (long story) and boy is that a struggle. But again - you wouldn't die!! Our lifestyle (which is quite basic but my wife says I drink too much beer) means that we are dipping into savings at the rate of about $150 a week - which we think we can justify. In January my salary goes up to $77K and my wife is expecting to do some part time work next year so my forecast for our income next year is probably in the region of about $100K. And, although I'm not a luxuries man, I have to say that I am really looking forward to that!!

Does this help?

Don't forget also that if you live in a city you always have better chances of supplementing your income with other jobs.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:13 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
These sorts of questions are always difficult to answer - I know because I tried getting answers to them myself when i was in the UK.

The first thing to remember is that you won't die - however low your wage. The second thing to ask yourself is how many of life's luxuries are you prepared to live without?

I'm not a luxuries chap myself - but I know that some people are. This is my experience:
I was earning about $64000 when I first arrived - wife didn't work. We survived OK - enough food and drink but we couldn't afford to do anything out of the ordinary. We have two young kids so we got a bit of help from Centrelink.

My salary is now $37K (long story) and boy is that a struggle. But again - you wouldn't die!! Our lifestyle (which is quite basic but my wife says I drink too much beer) means that we are dipping into savings at the rate of about $150 a week - which we think we can justify. In January my salary goes up to $77K and my wife is expecting to do some part time work next year so my forecast for our income next year is probably in the region of about $100K. And, although I'm not a luxuries man, I have to say that I am really looking forward to that!!

Does this help?

Don't forget also that if you live in a city you always have better chances of supplementing your income with other jobs.

You may have already thought of it, but as your income is going to increase substantially, dont forget to tell CentreLink and to adjust family payments or otherwise you will have a huge bill at the end of the tax year.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply. So long as we can have bbq's and hubby can have his beers we will be happy. We arent after a luxuries lifestyle just a better quality of life. Planning on getting my daughter straight into school there so that she can meet new friends asap to help her settle.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

paygee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Does this help?

why did your wages drop?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
You may have already thought of it, but as your income is going to increase substantially, dont forget to tell CentreLink and to adjust family payments or otherwise you will have a huge bill at the end of the tax year.

Yep - it's already calendered!! Thanks anyhow!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paygee
why did your wages drop?
There's a lesson for all would be migrants in the reason! Basically I secured work from the Uk for 13 weeks at the $64000 rate. (Illness cover) It was a place that I enjoyed working at but the only employment they could offer me after that period was part time (hence the $37K) but I took it because I didn't want to take a gamble and be left with nothing until I secured work elsewhere. Anyhow a promoted post came up at the same place a few weeks ago - a job which I'd done before but not in Australia. I applied for it and got it and it starts on Jan 1st - hence the $77K.

I think that the lesson is that if you believe in yourself - that you do generally do a good job for people - then it gets recognised -once you get beneath that "But he's a Johnny Foreigner" mentality (which was never a major thing at my place anyhow). But at the same time you have to be prepared to take the rough with the smooth. Even though I know that the $37K I'm on now is part time and temporary, it can still be unsettling when you think that I haven't earned this little since 1993.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi lesley
hubby is earning about the same as the uk plus he has a company car something he s never had before, but as yet im not earning, neither is my daughter,so our income has dropped tremendously compared to the uk,but our standard of living is far far better then in the uk it really isnt about money at all,there is so much you can enjoy here that costs absolutely nothing

tracey
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scissors
hi lesley
hubby is earning about the same as the uk plus he has a company car something he s never had before, but as yet im not earning, neither is my daughter,so our income has dropped tremendously compared to the uk,but our standard of living is far far better then in the uk it really isnt about money at all,there is so much you can enjoy here that costs absolutely nothing

tracey
Thanks Tracey, Thats what I needed to know. Fortunately hubby has a company car here. I have just given my car to my son. I'm not working here at the mo due to flippin depression but I think that has a lot to do with the weather ie. lack of sunshine. Im not a sun worshipper at all but know what a big difference it does for the spirit. I cant wait to be able to take a walk on the beaches there LOL.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:19 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LesleyM
Thanks Tracey, Thats what I needed to know. Fortunately hubby has a company car here. I have just given my car to my son. I'm not working here at the mo due to flippin depression but I think that has a lot to do with the weather ie. lack of sunshine. Im not a sun worshipper at all but know what a big difference it does for the spirit. I cant wait to be able to take a walk on the beaches there LOL.
yeah why not, dolphins are harmless