Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is this one reason why you left the UK?

Wikiposts

is this one reason why you left the UK?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by tonyk38
The link between diet and behaviour in kids is nothing new.

There was a programme on telly a few years ago which carried out an experiment on two disruptive twin boys. One was kept on his usual diet of crud, and the other was only allowed to eat healthy food. After only a few weeks the results were startling. The boy on the healthy diet sat quietly at meal times and ate his dinner and was well behaved in general, whilst his twin brother continued to be aggressive in his behavoour, including attacking his twin brother who hardly even seemed to notice!

I've read of other similar experiments that have yielded similar results. It isn't conclusive proof, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a link.

I've known quite a few teachers over the years who've come from abroad to teach in the UK. A common theme that they have nearly all metioned is that they were shocked at the behaviour of the kids in class. I'm not saying the problem is uniquely British, but their comments were rather telling I thought...
Personally I think diet is the key to a lot of these behaviour problems. Go back 25 years to our schooling. How many lunatic disruptive kids were in anyones class. I went to school in UK, rich in australia, neither of us can remember anybody out of control.

Now most of what many kids eat is crap! with little or no nutritional value. Its difficult in Oz with warm temps & no fridges at school to put in salad and proteins but go down any school at lunch time, its all sugar poppas, meusli ie sugar bars, crisps, cakey things and the tucks shop orders consits mainly of doughnuts pies and sugar drinks. I myself would be high as a kite on this diet let alone a 30KG child. Its not rocket science to work out why kids are out of control in schools. And Doctors here hand our kiddy sedatives like sweets, we got offered pills for a son who has dyslexia no funds for learning therapy, but money for pills, makes me mad

Other comments in the thread, I agree with Hevs why think it wont happen here too, there are out of control kids everywhere, stick a camera in any class and see them act up, there was a show on kids here recently, only saw the trailer but 10 year old aussie kids were discussing oral and anal sex.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judeyoga
No. i don't think kids are perfect in Aus. But I do think that by moving my kids will have more choices available to them, unlike the place we live now where the only choice for most people seems to be teenage pregnancy for the girls (2nd highest rate in the country for our secondary school) or unemployment or crime for the boys.

We can't afford to move any where else in this country to give our family more options but we can move to Aus so that they can see that there is a lot more out there and have opportunities they will never have here.

Just out of interest which part of aus are you going to? There are some very dead end options for young people here too

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 26th 2005 at 3:39 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by flip
So decisions to be made - do I try again in Australia or write off all that training. Teaching was great in one place maybe it can be in another and I'd like to be an optimist.
Contact some schools here and see what level of discipline they have. Some of our local private schools have excellent discipline levels. They seem to have found that happy medium. But they also only look for the best in teachers.