Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One Last Holiday?

One Last Holiday?

Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:17 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Last Holiday?

Originally Posted by louise
From the UK...............

Opinions please.

We are planning the big move to be around May/June 07, however we were contemplating a week's holiday to Europe in the February 1/2 term.

I would just like to hear from anyone who did this so close to the move.

a) Was it worth it?
b) Should we save our money?

Obviously the coming months will be stressful and not sure when our next "holiday" would be.

I appreciate everyone is different but any comments/opinions would be great.

Thanks

Louise
Defnitely do it, get yourself into the Alps and get skiing would be my choice.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We are planning the big move to be around May/June 07, however we were contemplating a week's holiday to Europe in the February 1/2 term.

a) Was it worth it?
We did a few weekend trips to various cities on the continent before we left and thought it was a great idea. We still talk about the silly things from those 2-to-3-day short trips every now and then. At the time it felt like we were trying too hard to pack in as much Europe as we could. But now I think it was worth it because we don't know when we'll be visiting the European continent again. If and when we do travel long haul, we will most likely be just visiting family in Hong Kong and the UK and probably won't have the time to even just "hop over" to France or other places.

If you have the time and can afford it I would say why not. It may be a long while before you can do it again once you're settled in Australia.

Mrs JTL
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:49 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Opinions please.

a) Was it worth it?

Obviously the coming months will be stressful and not sure when our next "holiday" would be.

Thanks

Louise
We had a weeks holiday in Portugal just before coming out here, couldn't really afford it at the time but we thought what the heck, it's gonna be our last holiday for a while. We had a hectic and v stressful migration process due to certain things as I'm sure many other people have. To tell you the truth i would do it that way again. It was good to get away from everything and pretend to be normal with no stress for a week.
Marie
Old Jan 19th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

i been thinking about this too. we only just started out on the migration route BUT if all proceeds well before we go i am going to join YHA, chuck kids and rucksacks in car and drive into france and drive for a month or so. Im lucky that i work in a school so plenty of hols.
I too will miss being so close to Europe. my son is going to Paris for a week in October. I thought twice about forking out for it BUT decided it is a memory he will always have.
mandy x
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Opinions please.

a) Was it worth it?

Thanks

Louise

Hi Louise

I did a number of long weekends away in the months before I left and although I did them on the cheap (Dublin, Venice, Barcelona, Galway) and I don't regret doing that. Oz is very far away and when I do go back it will be to see friends and family so ----. Enjoy!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:48 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for your great replies.

Just got to agree on somewhere and I'm off to book.

Louise
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Opinions please.

a) Was it worth it?

Thanks

Louise
Hi Louise,

I would say that one last holiday to somewhere in Europe that you have wanted to go but never been is a great Idea. We are so lucky living close to Europe and having so many different cultures and countries on our doorstep that you may as well do one last whistle stop tour to some you fancy as once you are over in Oz you would not travel to Europe for your holidays but you would take in Asia or other destinations in Oz. When you do come back to visit family you probably will not have the time to travel Europe as well (or the cash to do it!). Go for it see something in Europe, I can recommend Verona Italy and Venice is only a hour or so away from there (a day trip would be enough). The lakes in Italy are stunning as well so you could do this and it would be a great time of year to do it as well.

Cheryl
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

We had a weeks holiday a fortnight before we flew out. Went to Centre Parks and had a really good week. Set us up to be nice and relaxed before heading to Oz. Go for it!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

hi there

we are off to oz in september (yippee) we have booked one last trip before we go, we are going to menorca for a peaceful week in june, it will be the last time you go within europe so maybe go somewhere you really loved on a previous holiday.

Beth
Old Jan 20th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Leevan has a spectacular aura aboutLeevan has a spectacular aura aboutLeevan has a spectacular aura about

Go 4 it. Might be your last time in Europe.