Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Is posting ever a good idea?
Oh yeah, good point.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

It's great cos it's all sunny and stuff and the kids have a totaly better life and stuff . . . pm me for details . . .
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:19 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

Originally Posted by fish.01
Brisbane is not a beach town
You would be surprised at the number of people who think it is, including Australians!!!

One of the reasons that we chose Melbourne over Brisbane was the quality of the beaches on our doorstep.

BB
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You would be surprised at the number of people who think it is, including Australians!!!

One of the reasons that we chose Melbourne over Brisbane was the quality of the beaches on our doorstep.

BB
Exactly. So "sunshine and beach alone do not an emigration make" doesn't relate to Brisbane (maybe Redcliffe excepted). Lots more to do than that. More a Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast thing. If I was a beach lover I would live in one of them purely for the year round weather. Assuming I could get a job locally as I wouldn't commute.

I found the Melbourne bay beaches quite average, felt more like British beaches, but if you just want a place to lie down or walk along then they were convenient. I'm sure the ones further out would be better. I think the weather would limit the seasons I spent on them unless I acclimatised to the cold/wind though.

Everyone finds the patch that suits them....
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. So "sunshine and beach alone do not an emigration make" doesn't relate to Brisbane (maybe Redcliffe excepted). Lots more to do than that. More a Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast thing. If I was a beach lover I would live in one of them purely for the year round weather. Assuming I could get a job locally as I wouldn't commute.

I found the Melbourne bay beaches quite average, felt more like British beaches, but if you just want a place to lie down or walk along then they were convenient. I'm sure the ones further out would be better. I think the weather would limit the seasons I spent on them unless I acclimatised to the cold/wind though.

Fish - I find that all cities in Australia could have something on offer. Like Perth offered a dance company for a friend of my wife. There will be music societies in all capitals..you have to look - and it may be true that some might not be world-class, say.

Buzzie strikes me as a hardcore beacher. We pulled up on a beach once, and he interrupted a conversation in mid-sentence, pulled of his shirt and ran into the water.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Fish - I find that all cities in Australia could have something on offer. Like Perth offered a dance company for a friend of my wife. There will be music societies in all capitals..you have to look - and it may be true that some might not be world-class, say.

Buzzie strikes me as a hardcore beacher. We pulled up on a beach once, and he interrupted a conversation in mid-sentence, pulled of his shirt and ran into the water.
Yeah it's all relative isn't it....everywhere has most things in different measures...you have to mix and match to suit your preferences....if one city has a particular strength, it doesn't mean other cities can't meet exactly the same need with a smaller dose...
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's all relative isn't it....everywhere has most things in different measures...you have to mix and match to suit your preferences....if one city has a particular strength, it doesn't mean other cities can't meet exactly the same need with a smaller dose...
And that's what people fail to realise. They select the broad brush...they obsess over dosage...

For me this is why Melbourne compares with the 'world' cities of London and Paris, or to be exact is so liveable. It's precisely the dosage I like.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm so rude.....sorry....

I should have taken my trousers off too.

BB
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We were down redcliffe, well woody pt way yesterday, the were preparing for the jetty to jetty run, new bridge to brisbane complete, finest of sunny days, that area really looked stunning as you drove over the bridge, jeez they have pumped some billions into that area or what. Had a seafood feast at the bellevedere pub too
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

- because there are more Mcdonalds per capita.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:29 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
- because there are more Mcdonalds per capita.
-
Attached Thumbnails OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?-mcdonalds.jpg  
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

No.1 because I met my wife here

Then in no particular order...

The weather, most of the people who live here, Perth, earn more money than in UK, pay less tax than in UK, close to Asia and the natural beauty of Australia itself.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We were down redcliffe, well woody pt way yesterday, the were preparing for the jetty to jetty run, new bridge to brisbane complete, finest of sunny days, that area really looked stunning as you drove over the bridge, jeez they have pumped some billions into that area or what. Had a seafood feast at the bellevedere pub too
An English family I met on another forum settled in Redcliffe and I got a surprise first time I visited them on a sunny day....looked great...had obviously been a while since my last visit
Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:53 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

we were down there this afternoon with friends, a beautiful day, plenty of families out and about. We fished for an hour or so from the jetty, I caught a nice sized flathead, we gave it to a guy fishing near us as we didn't have any ice. "daddy, are we having that for dinner ?" said his daughter.

Then we shared a nice cold bottle of sauvignon blanc, sitting out the front of the belvedere hotel watching the sunset...lovely.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I have said this before on here and it just MIGHT be cobblers but I DO get the impression that many of the happy posters on here are from Victoria.
Isn't there just.It certainly says something about Victoria.