Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:29 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

Not been here very long and not having the best of weeks, maybe it is the constant job rejections and I was born here which I did think may make a slight difference on job applications

However, I am being told by quite a few people around me how they love living here, could never (EVER) imagine going back to the UK, just wondering if you feel the same WHY??????

Sorry for the ramblings, please feel free to ignore
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:39 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

Originally Posted by louise
Not been here very long and not having the best of weeks, maybe it is the constant job rejections and I was born here which I did think may make a slight difference on job applications

However, I am being told by quite a few people around me how they love living here, could never (EVER) imagine going back to the UK, just wondering if you feel the same WHY??????

Sorry for the ramblings, please feel free to ignore
Value for money (a 3 bedroom house on 3 and a half acres for $315,000 4 years ago), elbow room, great place to bring up a kid, the people, the vibe.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Have to be honest and say main reason is my work. If i worked from the UK i would be away from home a LOT more and with less options.

Definatly not for the house prices, which are stupidly expensive around here.

The weather does play a big part as my wife suffered very badly with seasonal depression in the UK.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Louise, I just sent you a pm.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise
Often people say that as leaving isnt an option for them anymore, they may realise they made a mistake but may not be able to leave due to money or family or another reason. They are hardly going to admit it and say they hate it, that tends to piss off the locals and makes them unpopular.

Some people go into denial when thinking how many years and how much money they have wasted and so they cannot face it, you will often find those people repeating how great it is to convince themselves as much as anyone else rather than face it.

And if you speak to australians who have lived here their whole life, they are fed the image that australia is the best country in the world by the media and schools. So they walk around brainwashed into believing it. America does the same.

The key is to make up your own mind, decide how you really feel about it. After all thats all that matters to your life.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

JoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave99
Often people say that as leaving isnt an option for them anymore, they may realise they made a mistake but may not be able to leave due to money or family or another reason. They are hardly going to admit it and say they hate it, that tends to piss off the locals and makes them unpopular.

Some people go into denial when thinking how many years and how much money they have wasted and so they cannot face it, you will often find those people repeating how great it is to convince themselves as much as anyone else rather than face it.

And if you speak to australians who have lived here their whole life, they are fed the image that australia is the best country in the world by the media and schools. So they walk around brainwashed into believing it. America does the same.

The key is to make up your own mind, decide how you really feel about it. After all thats all that matters to your life.
Great post !
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99

I would say, tactfully, in general, that whilst this must surely be the case for some it would be wicked to extend peoples' unhappiness on to others more fortunate or even assume that this is some sort of default, or even commonplace. Especially if the person doing that is themselves unhappy.

I like the last statement!

Me personally -short answer. Doesn't deviate or differ from past responses on the same topic, unfortunately.

Space. A bit of land in a village and community which didn't and doesn't cost much blood or sweat.

City and Country mix. Said it before - I'll say it again. The way you can get into the best that Melbourne does so well, and the way you can get out of it just as fast.

Slower pace of life but enough stuff in the working and private life to keep the whole thing spinning.

There are hundreds of little details that would only be remembered if I were to leave.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope cant say I do. Would be off like a shot if I didnt have an Australian husband. Good luck with the job hunting - it's very much a place for who you know rather than what you know.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:23 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The strangest thing to happen to me in Australia happened after I joined BE; and that was, being told by people that I have never met and who don't know me, that if I am in happy in Australia I must be deluding myself. However, on a more POSITIVE note and because I don't want to type it all again, here is my take for the benefit of the OP.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672140

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jul 15th 2010 at 11:11 am.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:32 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

lovely warm weather, beaches...
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=alistairboyle;8703106]The strangest thing to happen to me in Australia happened after I joined BE and that was being told by people that I have never met and who don't know me that if I am in happy in Australia, I must be deluding myself. However, on a more POSITIVE note and because I don't want to type it all again, here is my take for the benefit of the OP.

Truly bizarre mate. In my opinion, the most wicked comments on this forum. It's wrong on so many levels. And if you have to ask why...
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:34 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Nope cant say I do. Would be off like a shot if I didnt have an Australian husband. Good luck with the job hunting - it's very much a place for who you know rather than what you know.
Or becoming self employed.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OK so if you love living in Oz - Can you please tell me why?

You'll have to read my update if you want to know why I love it here so much, at this point in my life, Melbourne and me were made for each other!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673936

BB
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Does not walking down Point Halloran do it for you? Every time I walk down there I think "What a magnificent place to live"

Last edited by spadgersdad; Jul 15th 2010 at 11:17 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Snap - well Aussie wife. Was great when got here 6 years ago but QLD ain't what it used to be and very disillusioned with 'drinking' the only form of evening entertainment. Nothing reasonably priced to do and never see the sun being stuck in an office. If I came travelling now I'd stay in Melbourne but Brisbane sucks hard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.