Wikiposts

Oh dear.....

Old May 16th 2006, 8:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Oh dear.....

Originally Posted by WendyC
Nice post Vash. Thanks for taking the time to write it, it shows that we have much to learn.

K sent
Thanks mate, much appreciated.
Old May 16th 2006, 8:57 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Oh dear.....

It now appears that the situation is even worse than originally thought:

Indigenous Affairs Minister Mal Brough says he has evidence of a paedophilia ring operating in some remote Aboriginal communities, which could involve senior community members.

ABC TV's Lateline program has this week broadcast details of Aboriginal child sexual abuse and violence in central Australia.

Mr Brough has told the program he would consider directly intervening using Commonwealth powers if the Northern Territory Government does not act.

"Everybody in those communities knows who runs the paedophile rings," he said. "They know who brings in the petrol and they know who sells the ganja.

They need to be taken out of the community and dealt with, not by tribal law, but by the judicial system that operates throughout Australia.

We're all equal in this country and we should all be treated the same way."
Source.

That just makes my blood boil.
Old May 16th 2006, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh dear.....

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It now appears that the situation is even worse than originally thought:

Indigenous Affairs Minister Mal Brough says he has evidence of a paedophilia ring operating in some remote Aboriginal communities, which could involve senior community members.

ABC TV's Lateline program has this week broadcast details of Aboriginal child sexual abuse and violence in central Australia.

Mr Brough has told the program he would consider directly intervening using Commonwealth powers if the Northern Territory Government does not act.

"Everybody in those communities knows who runs the paedophile rings," he said. "They know who brings in the petrol and they know who sells the ganja.

They need to be taken out of the community and dealt with, not by tribal law, but by the judicial system that operates throughout Australia.

We're all equal in this country and we should all be treated the same way."
Source.

That just makes my blood boil.
That is just too awful to contemplate the govenment will surely have to take action , it will be very difficult i know but surely there must be some high profile aborigines who can help in that process .These are criminals at the end of the day and in my opinion should serve time and be allowed no where near children again.
Mandy
Old May 16th 2006, 9:39 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walla
I'm really disappointed with this thread, it's quite appalling really.

I've read the link posted by Phoenix and what I've read I have to say is wrong just like any other cases of child abuse I read about on a daily basis(white men do it too, it's called paedophilia). It goes on in every part of society unfortunately.

This thread has degenerated into a racially motivated thread against Aboriginal people who are the original owners of the land we are privileged to live in.

Incidentally does anyone who has contributed to this thread know an Aboriginal person?

No wonder I hardly post on here these days......
Dave, this post was started by me as a form of debate.

We [on this site] tend to focus on how Australia will affect us when we get here in terms of food, jobs, people, but we don't often think about the *whole* of Australian society, especially it's indigenous population. I reckon it's not because we don't care, it's just we don't understand or don't think about it.

Having read the news report, I started thinking about how the Aboriginal communities were disconnected from mainstream Australia and the way of life as we know it here, and I wondered if there was an answer to how this could change moving fwd to everyone's benefit, and whether those changes would enable Aborigines to still maintain their culture whilst taking responsibility to integrate.

There was no malice intended towards anyone here, nor have I read anyones comments to be malicious. This is only my perception though. However, if by discussing these problems this is deemed racist, then that is a sorry state of affairs. This is precisely the eggshell syndrome I mentioned that seems to prevail in parts of today's society, a fear of debate, a fear of upsetting the applecart. Perhaps we should all put our head in the sand and pretend these things don't happen and they might go away?

It's not like you to jump to conclusions Dave, so you obviously read something on here that made you react so strongly, and if I have said anything to unwittingly offend then I apologise. I am interested though to understand your point of view and which comments were deemed by you to be racist in your view and why?
Old May 16th 2006, 11:39 am
Springbok

Springbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to all

I can quite understand the theory of reprisals as a form of punishment in a community or a tribe. God knows things like that go on in every community all over the planet. I think the subject matter might have been sent off course though. This was a 4 year old girl. What in heavens name had she done to deserve that treatment or the other small kids mentioned in the article. These men are paedophiles, they are doing these horrendous acts for self gratification and thats the end of it. They should be put down. This is not a matter of arse kissing or being nicey, nicey for fear of offending. Anyone who can claim to think this way should be put down themselves. If it were a white man in Britain he would be spat on and beaten to a pulp once in jail. People would cheer for his demise. How the hell can anyone say don't pick on the poor bugger as it is tradition or he is an Aborigine. If that is the attitude then why are we all moving to what we consider to be a "Better" place to live. I couldn't live under a government that was so spineless as to allow that sort of carry on. And to cause a total air of dis-harmony, please stop using the word racism. This case has naff all to do with it!!!!!!!!
Old May 16th 2006, 3:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Oh dear.....

Originally Posted by Springbok
I can quite understand the theory of reprisals as a form of punishment in a community or a tribe. God knows things like that go on in every community all over the planet. I think the subject matter might have been sent off course though. This was a 4 year old girl. What in heavens name had she done to deserve that treatment or the other small kids mentioned in the article. These men are paedophiles, they are doing these horrendous acts for self gratification and thats the end of it. They should be put down. This is not a matter of arse kissing or being nicey, nicey for fear of offending. Anyone who can claim to think this way should be put down themselves. If it were a white man in Britain he would be spat on and beaten to a pulp once in jail. People would cheer for his demise. How the hell can anyone say don't pick on the poor bugger as it is tradition or he is an Aborigine. If that is the attitude then why are we all moving to what we consider to be a "Better" place to live. I couldn't live under a government that was so spineless as to allow that sort of carry on.
With respect, you have obviously misunderstood what's been posted.

Nobody is suggesting that the rape of the little girl was in any way linked to some form of reprisal or "tradition", nor is anyone saying "don't pick on the poor bugger as it is tradition or he is an Aborigine."

We all agree that it was a sickening crime, with no justification whatsoever.

The comments about reprisals and tradition were made in order to explain and highlight the problems which have arisen as a result of the government's decision to tolerate the observance and enforcement of Aboriginal tribal law in remote communities.

And to cause a total air of dis-harmony, please stop using the word racism. This case has naff all to do with it!!!!!!!!
Very well said. I agree with you entirely.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 16th 2006 at 4:02 pm.
Old May 16th 2006, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Big family?

I haven't met them yet. Only been here 4 weeks. But I gather they are medium sized and Catholic. She is lovely - incredibly beautiful, has a degree and works in Industrial relations. I haven't yet really spoken to her about her heritage as I don't know her well enough, but I would like to when I get past the initial 'hello's'.
Old May 16th 2006, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I'm really disappointed with this thread, it's quite appalling really.

I've read the link posted by Phoenix and what I've read I have to say is wrong just like any other cases of child abuse I read about on a daily basis(white men do it too, it's called paedophilia). It goes on in every part of society unfortunately.

This thread has degenerated into a racially motivated thread against Aboriginal people who are the original owners of the land we are privileged to live in.

Incidentally does anyone who has contributed to this thread know an Aboriginal person?

No wonder I hardly post on here these days......
I disagree, there have been one or two stupid comments but on the whole I think what people are saying is the law is the law, regardless of who you are.
Old May 16th 2006, 5:12 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Oh dear.....

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Does any one know if there are aboriginal representives in local govenment and in parliment as there can only be fundemental changes started if there are representives to help in that process.
Don't know about local government, but there are and have been some Aboriginal politicians.

Not enough, though...
Old May 16th 2006, 5:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Oh dear.....

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Regarding your point re where Aborigines live. That's a really valid point cos when I came to live here I expected to see more aborigines than I have. It was only when I lived here that I realised that again, Aborigines do not seem to live in urbanised areas and tend to stay within their own communities.
Around 70% of Aborigines live in urban communities; in fact, two Aboriginal families lived across the road from me when I was in Western Australia.

Having said that, the Aboriginal population is very small; only 2% of Australians are Aborigines.

The Convict Creations Website has an excellent article on the dilemma of Aboriginal socio-economic disadvantage. Click here to read it.

Notice that the federal budget for Aboriginal expenditure is massive; it reached $2.5 billion in the financial year 2003-2004. That's $2.5 billion spent on 2% of Australia's entire population. And yet, so little has changed.

This is proof - if any was needed - that the problems cannot be solved with money alone. Change has to begin at the grassroots level, on both sides of the rabbit-proof fence.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 16th 2006 at 5:19 pm.
Old May 16th 2006, 5:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Something people might also not be aware of:
You can't class 'aboriginals' as one group. There are very, very many (hundreds?) of different tribes, that all have different languages and different laws, etc etc.

Please remember that not all secret mens business involve raping etc (geez, I'm quite sure my dad has even attended a corroborre that was secret mens business, I'm sure he didn't rape anyone ) and not all communities are this violent (the two I lived in when I was about 9 (1991) were definetly not this bad. I don't remember that much, but I don't think there were ever murders(while we lived there). I remember there was a suicide once, and noone could live in the house for ages afterwards, that was the tradition. Reminds me of the thing that they can't look at pictures or video who have passed away.

Anyway, I'm definetly NOT saying that the problems don't exist, or that they aren't big enough to worry about/be upset about/do something about. I'm just saying don't be 'racist' and think all the communities are like this.
There are also plenty of aboriginals out there who are integrated etc etc (two ladies at the post office I go to)

I am also not directing this at anyone, they are just general comments to remember.

p.s. don't have a clue how problems are going to be fixed. It's a huge mess. It's not the only huge mess though. (this is the part when I start getting depressed about the state of the world.... arghghhhhh!!!!!)
Old May 16th 2006, 5:52 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I've not read all the posts on this thread as i've run out of time but thought i'd put in my 20c worth anyway.

The crimes reported are apalling yes, but they are not representative of the "whole" indigenous community. You cannot tar everyone with the same brush and i believe that good and bad exist in all races. There are a few aboriginal families who live around where i do, some who have problems, some who seem not to.

But......

A crime is a crime whether it is comitted by someone in a city or someone in a tribal community, as far as i'm aware the law of the country is the law of the country irresective of your colour, please someone set me straight if i'm wrong.

I know many people who have a huge hatred of Aboriginal people, and i've found that their main problem with them is that the aussie government and the PC brigade has spent the last 20 years trying to make up for the past with the aboriginals, communities receive large government handouts etc, but many of them squander it, yet more keeps coming, many whites feel that aboriginals get a disproportionate amount of help from the government as opposed to the battling white fella and also feels that the aboriginal community is "milking" what has gone before.

Lynn
Old May 16th 2006, 6:18 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Oh dear.....

Great posts, those last two.
Old May 16th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
WW2 was horrific but both Germany and Japan have come through it and moved with society.
By acknowledging and dealing with the problem, openly and honestly. Although the situation was different - the Jews are no longer put into ghettos.
Originally Posted by Bix
I don't believe the Aborigine thing is the one black mark against this nation.
Get over it and move on.
Whatever your view, getting over it and moving on is something that seems to be impossible. Ignoring a problem doesn't solve it.

Originally Posted by Bix
Again I say like it or not that's how the world races have evolved and what "we" have created and are about. Why do we as the U.N. not tolerate the many horrors in the world and try to do something about it ? Uganda, Chile, Iraq etc. It's not always about oil but also humanitarian reasons. May be slow to act sometimes but eventually action is taken.
I don't know about Chile, and I'm sure as heck not opening the Iraq can of worms here, but if you look into it you'll find that Uganda have an amazing and unique way of dealing with many of their problems. They are (I believe) the only country in Africa where the rate of increase in Aids cases is falling. They invite back into the community former soldiers with the rebels, holding a forgiveness ceremony and wiping the slate clean. They could be an inspiration if anybody took notice.

Originally Posted by Bix
Nothing will be achieved until the governments here stop throwing money at them which in a lot of cases end up in the bottle shop coffers. They don't have to earn a living so why should they give a shit about anything ? And they don't. As in so many cases the only answer is education.
Yes, education would be great. But a lot of the missions they were put onto didn't have schools until very recently. They were put onto land that was of no use to white men, so it can't be that good for farming etc. There is very little industry in the outback. How would you suggest they earn a living? Perhaps the government is throwing the money in the wrong places, but at least there's some money going there.
Originally Posted by Bix
Excuse some of my generalisations but I think you get the picture.
I do. Thanks.