Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by lfc4eva
yes, planning on working at BSL . done research on area, looks lovely.
i'll have to book trip for reccie. sounds good for my children , being the main reason for us going ! wot does your son do at BSL ?
My son works for QLD rail, sorry it must be the way I have posted. However he goes there alot and really likes it.The company seems to be a good one to work for,never hear any whinges about it.Gladestone would be great for kids.I think your wise to do a reccie.Things are not as closed together and people talk about Perth being isolated but it is along way to other places from where I live. That may or may not be a problem.All in all I think it is a good job/place,can get very hot here though but it's not far to Tannum. One word of causation when you go to Tannum to the beach plenty of areo guard or take vitamin B tablets a month before, the place as the worst sandfly problem in the summer.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

lfc4eva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blowfly
My son works for QLD rail, sorry it must be the way I have posted. However he goes there alot and really likes it.The company seems to be a good one to work for,never hear any whinges about it.Gladestone would be great for kids.I think your wise to do a reccie.Things are not as closed together and people talk about Perth being isolated but it is along way to other places from where I live. That may or may not be a problem.All in all I think it is a good job/place,can get very hot here though but it's not far to Tannum. One word of causation when you go to Tannum to the beach plenty of areo guard or take vitamin B tablets a month before, the place as the worst sandfly problem in the summer.
thanks for that , i'll bear that in mind. boyne /tannum sounds the better place, i'd rather a quieter town life than the city( gladstone) and hope to cycle to work (only need 1 car then) what's it like up in rockhampton ?
house prices look cheaper there if i'm not mistaken.
i hope the fishing is as good as i've heard,looking forward to that !!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:50 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Most of the design, engineering and management of mining and O&G projects is done in Perth. As a project manager, fozzy would more than likely be based here with short trips to site when required.
So it would work well for him then, but not so well for us. My husband is a mining engineer and has to work out at site, as the jobs he is qualified and trained to do involve being out at the site.

So for us a mining job means fly in fly out, but obviously it doesn't mean the same for everyone.

Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by comet555; Feb 17th 2007 at 6:52 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lfc4eva
thanks for that , i'll bear that in mind. boyne /tannum sounds the better place, i'd rather a quieter town life than the city( gladstone) and hope to cycle to work (only need 1 car then) what's it like up in rockhampton ?
house prices look cheaper there if i'm not mistaken.
i hope the fishing is as good as i've heard,looking forward to that !!!!!
The fishing is good.Rockhampton was first settled in the 1800s,it as the Fitzroy running through the town.It as a lot of aborginals as they lived by the Fitzroy.It is a working class town. I am not keen on the place but that's because the infrastructure is poor.I would definitely go for Gladstone.The Capricornia coast is beautiful, well worth the visit and very good fishing.
I have friends that live in 40 acres near Rules beach this down the coast from Gladstone,it is a fantastic beach but mainly for fishing. Flat Rocks is around the same area and great for the kids to swim in.

I'll just add that Rockhampton is only about 45 mins from Yepoon and the Capricorn coat.Plenty of fishing there.The thing to remember things are not close together for travelling but you don't get the traffic.There are heaps of camping grounds etc.To be honest you sound like Emu Pk would be right up your street but it's to far to commute. I love Emu Park it's what people describe as a sleepy sea side town (no tack of Blackpool though)!
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by storm808
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some usefull advice. I have recently been offered a job in Sydney CBD. I am considering this option very carefully as I am currently living in the UK. I wanted to know how much TAX does the worker have to pay if earning approx $125,000. Also I would be arriving on a 457 visa where do I stand with medicare etc.. My wife will also be coming with me if I choose to take the job. Many thanks
Just google Australian weekly tax tables, and download the pdf. Convert your salary to weekly, and away you go. Dont forget, most offers include Super at 9%, so you lose that off the net amount before you even start.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
So it would work well for him then, but not so well for us. My husband is a mining engineer and has to work out at site, as the jobs he is qualified and trained to do involve being out at the site.

So for us a mining job means fly in fly out, but obviously it doesn't mean the same for everyone.

Thanks for clarifying.
Sure. FIFO is not for everyone, hence the big money. I know guys who love it, some of them have families too.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

colin05 will become famous soon enoughcolin05 will become famous soon enough

hi sassenach im colin .im a brickie and gonna be looking for work in perth from july 2007 going to be in scarborough /hillarys area until we get settled permanantly. whats a good wage for trowels just now. cheers colin
Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

brisbane babe will become famous soon enoughbrisbane babe will become famous soon enough

Any pipefitters out there and if there are where are you, we have been in Oz 7 months and not met one yet, can anyone help on the wages and where the work is. Hubby struggling to find work in his trade at the minute so any help would be great
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

colin05 will become famous soon enoughcolin05 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gazza12120
hi there i will be moving to perth at end of the year.i work as a joiner and my wife works in youth services(youth clubs etc).any info on job opportunities and wages would be very welcome.
get the west austalian newspaper .loads of jobs for joiners .im a brickie going to perth july 2007 .haew fun neebz
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

UK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to all

Does anyone know the position of painters/decorators in Perth?? How much they earn, whether there are many jobs about??

Any info would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hayley
x
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Astronaut is an unknown quantity at this point

hi my husband and i thinking of moving to oz but i keep coming to dead end in finding out info on my qualification. I have the National Nursery Examination Board Certificate better known as the NNEB. does anyone know if the NNEB is recognized in oz and what type of work i would be able get and what wages. we are looking to move to sydney. thanks Karina
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Astronaut
hi my husband and i thinking of moving to oz but i keep coming to dead end in finding out info on my qualification. I have the National Nursery Examination Board Certificate better known as the NNEB. does anyone know if the NNEB is recognized in oz and what type of work i would be able get and what wages. we are looking to move to sydney. thanks Karina
Hi Karina,there are so many visas out there,i asked 4 consultants about Stephs qualifications,i also mentioned my occupation,{Truck Driver} their reply "sorry no chance". We had an appointment with a consultant last Monday,Well, i am the main applicant we can get out there on a 457 visa.What i am saying to you is, ask a consultant.Some consultants want easy work.some will dig deep who want to help,luckily we have found one,his fee for a consultation is £150,that covered a written report and an appointment.as we are sucessful in gaining entry the whole cost is £2600,the consultant has work placements who will sponsor.the choice is try to do it yourself or seek a consultant.Its easier for us to use a consultant as he has the contacts in OZ for sponsorship.I hope this helps Karina.Best of Luck.
Phil And Stephanie.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:41 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what the lowest basic rate of pay is in queensland. My daughter is working as a childcare assistant and is getting an appalling $8.91 per hour there or actually its now $8.86 as they fiddled it because of the laundry allowance. She's doing her certificate in childcare services but the center isnt paying or responsible for her doing it.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Davla is an unknown quantity at this point

Can any one help me please! My Oh & I are hoping to move to Tas later this year. Does any one know what the average wage for a brickie is.
Thanks
Law
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwaindibley
do you think its worth looking into when we are in perth? been trying to find a 457 but no luck, we are only in perth for 26/3 - 30/3.

cheers

Robert
The agencies won't bother with you realistically until you are here, have a permanent visa and are sitting in front of them with CV in hand - THEN they are interested.

Having said that, it wouldn'ty do you any harm to email some of the agencies in Perth and send them a good copy of your CV etc etc etc. Something may develop from it, something may not - they have a line on someone who may offer a 457 visa [possibly a government agency might, but I don't think a corporate will and the work in perth is basically large corporate or government].

I do know there is .net work about though
[not my area, I'm a J2EE/Oracle/etc man].

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.