Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obtaining drivers licence in QLD?

Obtaining drivers licence in QLD?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:25 pm
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Julez82 is on a distinguished road
Default Obtaining drivers licence in QLD?

I don't have a UK drivers licence so will be looking into getting one when I get there.

I've had a look at the QLD website and am thoroughly confused about it all. It seems that there are so many different types of learner licences - not at all like the UK!

Has anyone gotten their drivers licence in QLD from scratch, or can anyone help clarify it all for me?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Obtaining drivers licence in QLD?

it will be really easy for you, most teenagers here pass the test on their 17th birthday, which is the first day they are allowed to sit the test. Book yourself some lessons and you will be fine. I think you will have to take a short written test to get your learners licence, then you can go out on the road with an experienced driver ( someone who has held a licence for more than 12 months). Once you get your licence you will be on a P licence, which means no tickets or points etc, and then you graduate to an open licence.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:09 am
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Julez82 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that, wasn't sure what the story was as they have different categories for open licences etc.

At least the practical driving exam is only 30 mins!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

When I went over you had to take a theory test (but I don't think you have to do this now).

You have to be in the country 6 mths before you can take your test, nothing stopping you using this time to take your lessons though. You then go onto 'P' plates for a while.

Mandy
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all changing from 1st July. Takes much longer to get the full licence but can't remember all the details. Just wondering if that's where it's confusing you. Just read this, seems fairly clear. http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/

Download the book "keys to driving in Queensland" - http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/home...in_queensland/
and start learning it now. People who already have licences and now just swap over don't bother with it but there is a fair bit in there that is different from the UK and some have come unstuck with some of the rules so they're worth knowing.