Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirates-reply to extra baggage enquiry....

Emirates-reply to extra baggage enquiry....

Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:51 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emirates-reply to extra baggage enquiry....

E-mailed Emirates about extra baggage allowance for migrants and this was their reply for anybody who's interested....... C x

Thank you for your enquiry.

The baggage allowance of 20kg in Economy Class is standard across the
Emirates network and you also have 7kgs hand luggage for each adult.

For passengers migrating to Australia only there is an additional
allowance of 20kgs per adult/child (meaning 40kgs in total per
adult/child) agreed between British and Australian governments), however
it is subject to strict controls:

*It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British passports only.

*The passengers must hold a migration visa (which should be attached in
the passengers passport) stating INDEFINITE STAY. The allowance will not
be provided for visas marked with 1, 5, 10year etc Business Visa (even
though the intention might be to obtain indefinite stay on arrival).

*It is not valid if you have a stopover (i.e. exit the airport) in Dubai
or anywhere else on the way.

*Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns)

*This allowance does not apply to Business or First Class.

*You must not have entered Australia on the visa already

If you have not yet made a booking and intend to book through us by
telephone, please advise us of this at the time of the original booking,
and the allowance can be changed (subject to receiving fax copies of the
migration visa). Please note that if you book online at www.emirates.com
you must select the "Address Delivery" option for ticket delivery, and
notify us immediately so that we can change the allowance. Please do not
select E-tickets, as this cannot be changed!!!! If you intend to book
through a travel agent, you must advise them of the required allowance
before tickets are issued on the booking - If tickets are issued without
changing the allowance, it cannot be done afterwards and it will not be
granted. If the travel agent is in any doubt, please ask them to refer
to their "Nett Directive" with Emirates.

If you have made a booking and not yet had tickets issued, please
contact whomever made the reservation for it to be altered before the
tickets are issued.

Alternatively, we currently have a promotion running with
www.movingplanet.net which gives you an entitlement of 30kgs extra
baggage allowance, that's 50kgs in total. You can access details of the
offer by logging in as a member on the Moving Planet website, again this
is subject to various controls:

* It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British
passports only.
* The passenger must hold a valid migration visa stating over 1
year stay.
* It is not valid if you have a stopover (exit the airport) in
Dubai or anywhere else on the way.
* Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns).
* You must NOT have entered Australia on the visa already.

In other cases where the additional allowance does not apply, the
authorisation of excess baggage is only provided for charities who make
an application in writing on letter-headed paper. As an alternative, we
might also suggest that you send some belongings using the
"Unaccompanied Baggage" service offered through various companies.
Contact numbers:

London-Heathrow & Gatwick - Emirates Express on 01784-251100 Manchester
& Birmingham - Emirates Cargo Manchester on 0161-498 1180 Glasgow -
Arbuckle Smith (cargo agents) on 0141-887 5252

If you wish to take the baggage with you to the airport, the charge for
this will vary according to your destination. London - Melbourne would
cost GBP30.28 per kg for example. We would therefore recommend using the
unaccompanied baggage service as a less expensive option if possible.

Kind regards
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Emirates-reply to extra baggage enquiry....

We had already validated with Emirates but Singapore gave us the additional allowance,so i guess we were pretty lucky.
good luck to all
Donna
Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:47 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna
We had already validated with Emirates but Singapore gave us the additional allowance,so i guess we were pretty lucky.
good luck to all
Donna
Make sure you have something written (email) from Singapore confirming the 40kg. We, and several others, have been told at Singapore that we should have bought more expensive special migration tickets but they relent when you show them the email. I laughed when told to make sure I bought the different ticket NEXT time I migrated - like I am making a habit of it!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Honcho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiels
[B]

*You must not have entered Australia on the visa already
Hello,

Thanks for the info, how would the company know that we had used the visa to visit Australia before to validate?

We previously flew with SIA so would they actually check the passport for the stamp or is there a computer database?
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, thanks for sharing it C
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Honcho
Hello,

Thanks for the info, how would the company know that we had used the visa to visit Australia before to validate?

We previously flew with SIA so would they actually check the passport for the stamp or is there a computer database?
yes, your passport is stamped with the entry date
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:37 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Hello,

We would like to know this as well. We have been to live there and then came back, then went for a holiday and we are now moving to live there. Does this mean that we are excluded from the excess baggage allowance?
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:21 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I thought it was just registered on a database computer system C x
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiels
I thought it was just registered on a database computer system C x
Does anyone know if this would be on the SIA database, if you validated with them, or is there some great database in the sky that all our flight details ever taken are kept on?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if this would be on the SIA database, if you validated with them, or is there some great database in the sky that all our flight details ever taken are kept on?
They check the visa details when you check in to ensure it is a valid visa for travel, as if its not they will not allow you to board - if you are refused entry the other end then the airline has to pay to return you to your point of boarding. Presumably this system also allows them to check if the visa has been validated, has expired, etc. Thats why they want ac opy of the visa, so they can check the visa number and see if its already been validated.

This is why if you confuse the system by doing something like turning up with a new passport, and the visa in your old one, it can cause a delay; if they can't check it online they will need to check it with Australian Immigration direct.

Australia has a very efficient computerised system for tracking visas and entry and exit from the country - as also evidenced in cases like checking days spent in Australia for citizenship purposes.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Thats interesting. Thanks for that. Will be sure to let the airline know we are emmigrating when the times comes for us.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Our visa is a PR and we validated it within the 12 months required. I am just trying to get the extra baggage allowance for when we go. I have emailed SIA who said the best they can do is 25 kg’s.

We are going to book with Emirates over the weekend on a one way ticket and I was hoping we would be able to get the 40Kg per person as we had previously flown with SIA when we validated.

I will see what they say.

HH
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Our visa is a PR and we validated it within the 12 months required. I am just trying to get the extra baggage allowance for when we go. I have emailed SIA who said the best they can do is 25 kg’s.

We are going to book with Emirates over the weekend on a one way ticket and I was hoping we would be able to get the 40Kg per person as we had previously flown with SIA when we validated.

I will see what they say.

HH
They will most likely say no. You have already entered Australia on that visa, so you have used your moving allowance.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:40 am
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all

Has anyone spoken to Emirates directly? I booked my ticket on line so know-one in the UK will speak to me. I called Emirates and explained my situation and they just told me it would be ok. I asked about my ticket being up-dated but they said it would be ok.

I dont know what to do now. I was going to go to the airport next week and ask them what would happen if I turned up with 40kgs.

Marc.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Smile Re: Emirates-reply to extra baggage enquiry....

fly via the usa - you get 2 pieces per person, up to 32kg per piece.... we did this, flew from manchester via los angeles and auckland to sydney. had a few days in las vegas on the way which was fun too ( this of course involved two extra internal flights)
this is taken from the qantas website:

Travel to/from USA,
US Territories, Tahiti, South America and Canada^
via the Pacific First: 2 pieces
Total dimensions* of each piece must not exceed 158cm (62in)
Business/Economy: 2 pieces
Total dimensions* of the 2 pieces must not exceed 270cm (106in) with no 1 piece exceeding 158cm (62in) 32kg (70lb) per piece

the price of the one-way ticket was comparative to coming through asia.
karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.