Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obstacles at every turn!

Obstacles at every turn!

Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future
Default Obstacles at every turn!

Well it would seem that we are not the only people who seem to have a rough ride in getting to Oz. I am a newly qualified nurse and am therefore only eligible for the 457 visa at present (and yes, I am aware of the pitfalls but do not want to wait a couple of years!). I have finally had my registration granted in NSW after weeks of delays whilst they requested all the paperwork under the sun (plus a little more for good measure) and my University were none too helpful in providing the necessaries! We have finally got a sale going through on the house (very traumatic!), survey done but no contracts signed yet, fingers crossed! Now waiting again for my registration paperwork to come through, twelve days and counting so far. Once I have this I have to send to my sponsor who will then make an application to nominate me. Does anybody have any experience of how long this will take. Obviously can't start visa until I have nomination number. I have booked my medical for a couple of weeks time and I am hoping that I will have it by then. My job starts on the 4th of September and we are hoping to travel at the beginning of August although time is ticking away quickly!

My friend emigrated on 457 in April and she did not have her visa and travelled without it and sorted it when she got there. All she had to do was book return flights as they will not let you have one way and go to local immigration office. Has anybody else done this and is it guaranteed that you will be granted the visa? They had medicals and made application before they went but had no paperwork with them! Sorry it's a bit long winded but I am full of questions! Also on very grim meal replacement diet called Lipotrim in order to get BMI down prior to medical, am I right in thinking it has to be 30 or below?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:33 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obstacles at every turn!

Originally Posted by shonalouise
Well it would seem that we are not the only people who seem to have a rough ride in getting to Oz. I am a newly qualified nurse and am therefore only eligible for the 457 visa at present (and yes, I am aware of the pitfalls but do not want to wait a couple of years!). I have finally had my registration granted in NSW after weeks of delays whilst they requested all the paperwork under the sun (plus a little more for good measure) and my University were none too helpful in providing the necessaries! We have finally got a sale going through on the house (very traumatic!), survey done but no contracts signed yet, fingers crossed! Now waiting again for my registration paperwork to come through, twelve days and counting so far. Once I have this I have to send to my sponsor who will then make an application to nominate me. Does anybody have any experience of how long this will take. Obviously can't start visa until I have nomination number. I have booked my medical for a couple of weeks time and I am hoping that I will have it by then. My job starts on the 4th of September and we are hoping to travel at the beginning of August although time is ticking away quickly!

My friend emigrated on 457 in April and she did not have her visa and travelled without it and sorted it when she got there. All she had to do was book return flights as they will not let you have one way and go to local immigration office. Has anybody else done this and is it guaranteed that you will be granted the visa? They had medicals and made application before they went but had no paperwork with them! Sorry it's a bit long winded but I am full of questions! Also on very grim meal replacement diet called Lipotrim in order to get BMI down prior to medical, am I right in thinking it has to be 30 or below?
Hi and welcome to BE.

I can't help you with the visa issues but my BMI was way above 30 :scared: and I got me visa!!!!!!

Good luck - -i'm sure others will know the answers you've asked.

xRachx
Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:49 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obstacles at every turn!

Hi Shona.

DIMIA booklet 11 covers all aspects of the 457 visa process. Give it a read here......... http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1154.pdf

It should not take your employer too long to complete the first 2 stages which are Sponsorship approval and Nomination of job. Your Visa application is the third and final stage and is often completed in about 6 weeks.

In my case the whole 3 stages took 8 weeks but there was a 2 week delay in the Doc mailing the meds.