Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Observations on my first week in Sydney

Observations on my first week in Sydney

Old May 6th 2011, 11:39 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Observations on my first week in Sydney

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
My life is not difficult because I say sweets and crisps.

I had no idea that light bulbs are called light globes, still learning.
Neither for me. Sweets are lollies and chocolates (i.e. lollies are non-chocolate sweets) so like you if I say sweets no one says anything about it. I've had a few blank looks at crisps but again most people know what I'm talking about.

I sometimes have to say hot chips if it's not clear from the context that I'm talking about chips and not crisps but usually the context is clear (i.e. fish and chips).
Old May 7th 2011, 12:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Just say chips and lollies, it'll make life easier as it's no biggie. You can always call them sweets and crisps at home. I still say yog-urt and no one bats an eyelid. Haven't managed light globes yet but again no one bats an eyelid when I say bulb.
In Brisbane I was once in Woolies and asked a young assistant where the light bulbs were...she had no idea what I was talking about...and I didn't know what to ask for so had to describe them - we got there in the end - 'oh, light globes!'
Old May 7th 2011, 12:06 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
In Brisbane I was once in Woolies and asked a young assistant where the light bulbs were...she had no idea what I was talking about...and I didn't know what to ask for so had to describe them - we got there in the end - 'oh, light globes!'
It can be a bit disconcerting trying to describe something that you don't normally have to describe.

She was probably wondering why you came to a hardware store to buy daffodils
Old May 7th 2011, 1:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Neither for me. Sweets are lollies and chocolates (i.e. lollies are non-chocolate sweets) so like you if I say sweets no one says anything about it.
Loads of sweets have ''sweets" on the packets anyway so it hardly matters what they're called.
Old May 8th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

Love that Englishmans Diary. I also hate Air Con repair companies, they can make up their own prices as they go along. Im considering opening up a rival company, seems like a licence to print money here.

Reminds me of being in Philippines.

Anyway, it took me 6 months to find out what a globe was.

Also, Capsicums ??

WTF who calls them capsicums. I got a text from a mate to buy capisicums. My wife and I were perpelexed, and wondered the supermarkets. I shyly asked where the capsicums were, and got pointed to a fruit & vege section. Im like, Where ?? Where ?? Where ??I had to make the assistant go over and physically touch it(she was thinking I had issues at this stage) before I would believe that it was a simple Bell pepper.

On the news, I finally figured out what Capisicum spray is.

Back to Topic, with Sydney, I liked it to visit, but I wouldnt like to live there. I didnt like the attitude of the people. Reminds me too much of big city life. And im a city boy, but I believe every other Aus city is more friendly.

Last edited by smidsy; May 8th 2011 at 3:51 pm.
Old May 8th 2011, 11:02 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

How often do you hear the term Bell Pepper in the UK? They were called peppers where I lived (along with chillies just to confuse things).

Not sure how but I knew what a capsicum was before I arrived. Must have heard it somewhere and stored in my sub-conscious. However I did notice my parents had never heard of the term.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Weird, I'm from Brisbane and mostly call them bulbs as do most I know I thought...must just be some....I'll start paying attention now
Old May 9th 2011, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I work with small children so am forced to say YOgurt and lollies. Still trying to get over "thongs" instead of flip flops- asking a 3 year old where her thongs are still makes me feel uncomfortable. Did you know that lollipop sticks are called paddlepops??? Or that muffin cases and cake cases are called pattypans? Caused me no end of confusion when asked to go and get them from the store room.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:35 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I work with small children so am forced to say YOgurt and lollies. Still trying to get over "thongs" instead of flip flops- asking a 3 year old where her thongs are still makes me feel uncomfortable. Did you know that lollipop sticks are called paddlepops??? Or that muffin cases and cake cases are called pattypans? Caused me no end of confusion when asked to go and get them from the store room.
Witches hats caught me out the first time. Still call them cones as it's quicker and easier to say
Old May 9th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
So there we have it, my first week in Sydney over, arrived last Friday morning, rested over the weekend and had a good walk around and started work on Monday!!!!! Had a full week at work already! No rest for the wicked

Just a few general day to day observations on Sydney so far -

I have learnt that Sydneysiders don't like you saying 'morning' or 'good morning' as you pass them on your way to the station I come from a small Northern town where by a friendly greeting to a stranger first thing is kind of the done thing. On my way to the station on Monday morning I said 'Morning' to the women I passed and she jumped out of her skin and looked at me like I was going to do something horrible to her. Undeterred I tried the next person I passed and they blanked me Everyone seems in such a hurry here.

There was a guy at the station this morning who sprinted past me for a train and ran up to the doors as they were closing and just missed it. He started swearing and calling City Rail everything under the sun, until another train came down the line 3 minutes later FFS Amused me anyway.

And I will be dammed if I can understand a word those City Rail train guards say over the PA system. Pulling towards North Sydney the other day and what the guy said sounded NOTHING like North Sydney next stop, maybe it is a language I have yet to learn.

In a meeting at work they put some sweets out on the table. I said 'oh sweets thanks' to which everyone stopped and told me they were in fact lollies, I refuse to call them lollies as that will always be something on a stick.

I also refuse to call crisps - chips and y'oh'gurt - y'OO'gurt.

What a fantastic city though, the harbour is just stunning and the fresh food on offer mind blowing. And the coffee is way better than anything I have had in the UK.

Rant over anyway, settling in ok now after a shakey start. People said starting work so early was a bad idea but I think it helped me focus and get back in a routine.
Welcome
Old May 9th 2011, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Thongs wrap around a ladies bum, and always will.

The picture of thongs around a tradies big toe is too disturbing to contimplate.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Witches hats caught me out the first time. Still call them cones as it's quicker and easier to say
Used to catch me out too but Hogwarts ran special classes in how to put them on properly, so that they stand up straight and don't flop to one side
Old May 9th 2011, 1:11 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Adapt Or Die.

(Or at least Adapt Or Look like a foolish Pom who refuses to let go)