Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

An obscure question about driving licences

An obscure question about driving licences

Old May 10th 2003, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An obscure question about driving licences

I think that, legally, one has to notify the DVLA about address changes. they then send you a new licence with your new address.

Is there any reason at all to do this, once I move to NZ (fingers crossed)?
Old May 10th 2003, 11:36 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: An obscure question about driving licences

Originally posted by sofistek
I think that, legally, one has to notify the DVLA about address changes. they then send you a new licence with your new address.

Funny you should ask this as i have been wondering what to do about my UK driving licence. Couldn't find anything on the DVLA website so I have e-mailed them. Cause surley if I want to drive when I visit the UK I need my current address on my licence, but on the back of mine it says it has to be a permanent UK address.

Will tell you what they say when I get a reply.

Paula
Old May 10th 2003, 11:40 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I still want to keep my British driving licence so I am going to change the address to my parents address, even though I am living in Oz. When I go back for visits this is where I will be staying so its kind of my address
Old May 10th 2003, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I just used my Aussie licence when I was back in the UK. I think if you got stopped by the police for any reason they would be more lenient if you used an Aussie or Kiwi licence. That's my theory anyway. You can always get an international one as well.
Old May 10th 2003, 6:37 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point

So how would you go about getting an international license. Do you need to take an international test, and I presume you would also have to give up your UK license, but then you would not nee to take the Australian test. A very interesting thought. I wonder if you need to retake your test every so often as you would in Australia, and many other countries.

Has anyone done this or equired about it?
Old May 10th 2003, 8:59 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jaz
So how would you go about getting an international license. Do you need to take an international test, and I presume you would also have to give up your UK license, but then you would not nee to take the Australian test. A very interesting thought. I wonder if you need to retake your test every so often as you would in Australia, and many other countries.

Has anyone done this or equired about it?
Hi Jaz,

Common misconception, an international driving licence is not actually a licence at all - it's just an internationalised version of a local licence that provides details of that licence in a recognised format and translates it into a number (can't remember how many) of languages.

Most countries will recognise foreign licences for up to three months out of twelve.

The plus side is that you won't get points on a foreign licence, the down side is that depending on offence and country you may be dealt with there and then by spot fine (most of mainland europe) or even arrest (UK - rare but does happen)

Cheers

Perry
Old May 10th 2003, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Funny you should ask this as i have been wondering what to do about my UK driving licence. Couldn't find anything on the DVLA website so I have e-mailed them. Cause surley if I want to drive when I visit the UK I need my current address on my licence, but on the back of mine it says it has to be a permanent UK address.

Will tell you what they say when I get a reply.

Paula
I didn't realise that it stated a UK address was needed. Giving the parents' address sounds a good idea. Let us know what the DVLA says, Paula.

Thanks.
Old May 14th 2003, 6:25 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

I didn't realise that it stated a UK address was needed. Giving the parents' address sounds a good idea. Let us know what the DVLA says, Paula.

Thanks.

Well just had my reply from DVLA and this is what they say.

I cannot have my address changed on my licence as the address on there has to be my PERMANENT UK address. If I ever come back to the UK to live
I just change my address then. When I come back to visit I will be able to drive on my NZ licence for a max of 12 mths.

So there you go, hope this helps. Not sure about putting on my mums address, don't think it has any advantages.

Paula
Old May 14th 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Well just had my reply from DVLA and this is what they say.

I cannot have my address changed on my licence as the address on there has to be my PERMANENT UK address. If I ever come back to the UK to live
I just change my address then. When I come back to visit I will be able to drive on my NZ licence for a max of 12 mths.

So there you go, hope this helps. Not sure about putting on my mums address, don't think it has any advantages.

Paula
Thanks, Paula. So I guess it is still a valid licence, unless you go back to the UK permanently. Odd but fair enough.
Old May 15th 2003, 8:49 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Problem is, if you have to hire a car, they look at your old UK licence and ask if the address is still valid. If you lie, (because you no longer live there), I guess it invalidates the insurance?

Cheers - Don
Old May 15th 2003, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Problem is, if you have to hire a car, they look at your old UK licence and ask if the address is still valid. If you lie, (because you no longer live there), I guess it invalidates the insurance?

Cheers - Don
then I guess the thing to do is buy one as quickly as possible. However, iIt's certainly legal to drive on your UK licence for up to a year in NZ, so I can't see why car insurance would be invalidated, either for hire cars or private cars.

Has anyone had a problem with this?