Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: O negative blood type

Originally Posted by debsy
Me= 0-
Him=AB-
Show off
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:52 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Don't worry Anne I'm in WA already 5 hrs north of Perth but in an emergency I can be ther in an hour on the plane

Kala

eek!!!! all you peeps are in WA......I'm on the other side!!!!!!! But rest assured if you need any I'll be there!!!! .........as long as you do the same for me as I seem to be the only one here!!!
Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:10 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep
eek!!!! all you peeps are in WA......I'm on the other side!!!!!!! But rest assured if you need any I'll be there!!!! .........as long as you do the same for me as I seem to be the only one here!!!
I'm A- though it's somewhat thinned with a nice bottle or red at the moment
Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by base_sydney
Does living in UK for 3.5 yrs debar you from donating blood as well? I arrived in Manchester after the mad cow desease era. But anyways, I'll pm you with my details. You can always give me a shout if, god forbid any such situation arises!!

amit
Last time I checked, it was 6 months residence in the UK between 1980 and 1996.

Nationality is irrelevant - Australian citizens who lived in the UK in the specified period are also excluded. Similarly, British citizens who did not live in the UK in this time are acceptable donors.

But you should check the current regulations directly.

Jeremy
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:01 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by base_sydney
My blood type is O negative. This blood type can receive blood only from another O negative. Apparantly, very few people have O- blood. (only 9% of Australian population!! as per donateblood.com.au) Which would mean if I need blood, it can be bit of a problem!! Just thought I will ask the members if anyone has this blood type and if he(she) is willing to share his address details with me.

This is kind of an initiative to build a list of people who have this blood type so that in emergencies, we can help each other.

Thanks
Sorry Base Sydney,
I'm am AB+ my blood is no good to you, but mny plasma is ok!

The good news is that I can have all blood groups in return!

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:47 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Last time I checked, it was 6 months residence in the UK between 1980 and 1996.

Nationality is irrelevant - Australian citizens who lived in the UK in the specified period are also excluded. Similarly, British citizens who did not live in the UK in this time are acceptable donors.

But you should check the current regulations directly.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Why is that? I am a regular blood donor in the UK & with me having a blood group that is in the minority I would have thought they would be happy for the donation, as they are here...?

Claire
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't woory I am A- only 7% of the population, Us poms cant give blood in Australia any way because of Mad Cow Desease.

There has been a massive drive round here for A- blood and they still dont want any of mine.

Kala
I've got A type too - we could PM one another if we need some blood
Old Jun 18th 2005, 3:14 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Jeremy

Why is that? I am a regular blood donor in the UK & with me having a blood group that is in the minority I would have thought they would be happy for the donation, as they are here...?

Claire
The reasoning is that there is a risk that people resident in the UK during that period might have been exposed to the prion proteins that cause bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE - 'mad cow disease') and that the disease might be transmissible through blood. As far as I know, there is no research that proves definitively that this is a risk, but I presume that the assumption is that it's better to be safe than sorry. The authorities had their fingers bitten over HIV infection and more recently over hepatitis C virus, so I guess they don't want a repeat of that if they can avoid it. In the UK itself, of course, they can hardly bar people who were resident in the UK during the period in question from giving blood, because there would hardly be any donors left; indeed, this is apparently now a problem in the Irish Republic, which has some sort of bar on blood donations from people who were resident in Great Britain (not the UK as a whole) during the height of the mad cow problems.

One suspects that it might all be an over-reaction; on the other hand, only time will tell.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 3:36 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CPW
The reasoning is that there is a risk that people resident in the UK during that period might have been exposed to the prion proteins that cause bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE - 'mad cow disease') and that the disease might be transmissible through blood. As far as I know, there is no research that proves definitively that this is a risk, but I presume that the assumption is that it's better to be safe than sorry. The authorities had their fingers bitten over HIV infection and more recently over hepatitis C virus, so I guess they don't want a repeat of that if they can avoid it. In the UK itself, of course, they can hardly bar people who were resident in the UK during the period in question from giving blood, because there would hardly be any donors left; indeed, this is apparently now a problem in the Irish Republic, which has some sort of bar on blood donations from people who were resident in Great Britain (not the UK as a whole) during the height of the mad cow problems.

One suspects that it might all be an over-reaction; on the other hand, only time will tell.
Very true, It makes me feel bad that I cant give blood as I was a regular donor in the Uk aswell. and when mad cow came out in the Uk my mum banned us from eating Beef sausages and burgers so the chances of me having it are very very slim but as you say better to be safe than sorry and only time will tell.

I'm sure if there were a major disaster (which I hope there isn;t) our pommy blood will be called upon

Kala
Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
The authorities had their fingers bitten over HIV infection and more recently over hepatitis C virus, so I guess they don't want a repeat of that if they can avoid it. In the UK itself, of course, they can hardly bar people who were resident in the UK during the period in question from giving blood, because there would hardly be any donors left; indeed, this is apparently now a problem in the Irish Republic, which has some sort of bar on blood donations from people who were resident in Great Britain (not the UK as a whole) during the height of the mad cow problems.

It's a case of balancing risk/impact. At the moment they obviously feel they can manage without such donations, so they do.

About 10% of the Australian population is excluded (including many Aussies) - if they find they are persistently short of blood they may find they have to relax or do away with the rule. Nothing will change before then.

In the meantime, those affected can avoid giving blood with a clear conscience.

Jeremy
Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

Very true, It makes me feel bad that I cant give blood as I was a regular donor in the Uk aswell. and when mad cow came out in the Uk my mum banned us from eating Beef sausages and burgers so the chances of me having it are very very slim but as you say better to be safe than sorry and only time will tell.
No-one ought to feel 'bad' about anything. If you are willing to give blood and Australia refuses to accept it, it's not your problem.

Other countries have had similar 'mad cow' problems (perhaps not on the same scale) which have been covered up.

And in the UK - a country of 60 million people - there have only been around 100 cases of so-called 'vCJD' in 20 years, hardly the stuff of a major epidemic.

I'm sure if there were a major disaster (which I hope there isn;t) our pommy blood will be called upon

Kala
If they ever run out of blood for whatever reason, rules like this will get changed.

Jeremy
Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:49 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
No-one ought to feel 'bad' about anything. If you are willing to give blood and Australia refuses to accept it, it's not your problem.

Other countries have had similar 'mad cow' problems (perhaps not on the same scale) which have been covered up.

And in the UK - a country of 60 million people - there have only been around 100 cases of so-called 'vCJD' in 20 years, hardly the stuff of a major epidemic.

If they ever run out of blood for whatever reason, rules like this will get changed.

Jeremy
Absolutely true, maybe not so much bad but disapointed that I cant do what I like to do.

The rule seems over the top but again as you say if they needed it that badly they would soon let us give it.

At least the rule (in my case) will get the Aussie hubby donating blood whic he would never have done before.

Kala
Old Jun 18th 2005, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Am not a nurse, just a poor medical student... (slightly pissed on a nice Sat night!)..

Can I just say that nowadays blood transfusions r not given willy-nilly: there r all kinds of alternatives includind plain old fluids, colloids, plasma (without the red blood cells so no worries about the ABO Rh blood types) etc.

Hmmm just to be a bit cheeky....some of us know our ABO group, and also if we are rhesus neg or pos, but what about the other dozen or so blood group systems? Not really relevant normally... but they include Kell, Duffy, Kidd and Lewis. What this actually seems to mean is that eg one A neg is not nec suitable to give to another A neg person....there r lots of other factors to consider.

Kerplunk.......(me falling off my high horse)
Old Jun 18th 2005, 9:16 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hi all

Am not a nurse, just a poor medical student... (slightly pissed on a nice Sat night!)..

Can I just say that nowadays blood transfusions r not given willy-nilly: there r all kinds of alternatives includind plain old fluids, colloids, plasma (without the red blood cells so no worries about the ABO Rh blood types) etc.

Hmmm just to be a bit cheeky....some of us know our ABO group, and also if we are rhesus neg or pos, but what about the other dozen or so blood group systems? Not really relevant normally... but they include Kell, Duffy, Kidd and Lewis. What this actually seems to mean is that eg one A neg is not nec suitable to give to another A neg person....there r lots of other factors to consider.

Kerplunk.......(me falling off my high horse)
All gets a bit confusing after the usual a b o Rh + or - tho.

I have spoken to my mum and she is a A+ weak d (aparently only 0.2% of the population are that, my dad is o+ and I am A-. Had a bit of a shock when we first found that out as we couldn;t figure out how a neg child came from 2 pos parents, since looking it up and trying o figure it al out it looks like it makes sence, unless my mum was an ol slapper

the Fisher system almost makes sence but I get lost trying to figure out the others.

If you know loads about blood groups you might be able to help me understand it all as there is a bit more to it all than meets the eye If so and you dnt mind them please drop me a PM as I am realy intrested in al this blood grouping

Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:22 pm
India-M'chester-Syd('05)

base_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: O negative blood type

Originally Posted by debsy
Me= 0-
Him=AB-
After Grubelice, you are the second one in my list. I have already sent you a short pm with my details. Once I have few more people in my list, I can share the list with you and Grubelice (of course, with the consent of other people). I am happy I am making some progress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.