Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

O negative blood type

O negative blood type

Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:01 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: O negative blood type

Originally Posted by vivi
Want any of mine?, but I am AD-....duhhh
ViVi
I think that is what my mum is.

it is A- (treat as A+) something like that anyway

something to do with a D antigen??

Kala
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its anyone who has spent time in the UK since the start of the 1980s, that is forbidden from donating blood.
Wonder what they would say of someone who can't donate to the public supply wanted to donate to a specific person, who was happy to receive it - as is being suggested on here. That'd give the Aussie health service something to puzzle over!
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by base_sydney
My blood type is O negative. This blood type can receive blood only from another O negative. Apparantly, very few people have O- blood. (only 9% of Australian population!! as per donateblood.com.au) Which would mean if I need blood, it can be bit of a problem!! Just thought I will ask the members if anyone has this blood type and if he(she) is willing to share his address details with me.

This is kind of an initiative to build a list of people who have this blood type so that in emergencies, we can help each other.

Thanks
Maybe I am wrong but I thought there was one blood group that was a universal doner, that any blood type could receive. I thought this was what they gave you in an emergency if they didn't know what blood group you are.

Just a thought
Katie
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:08 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I think that is what my mum is.

it is A- (treat as A+) something like that anyway

something to do with a D antigen??
Kala
Ignore that, My mum is some other weird sub group of some blood group (all very confusing)

I think AD- is the same as A- it means you are blood group A and you are Rhesus D negative

As for the Uk rule, If you lived in the Uk for more than 6 months from 1980 to 1996 you are not allowed to give blood in Australia

Kala
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:10 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Maybe I am wrong but I thought there was one blood group that was a universal doner, that any blood type could receive. I thought this was what they gave you in an emergency if they didn't know what blood group you are.

Just a thought
Katie
You have been watching Holby City haven't you? And yes to your previous haematology (blood stuff!!) question D is the rhesus antigen!
ViVi
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:12 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Just a thought
Katie
Yeah there is and guess what it is O- so a whopping 9% of the population can donate that

Kala
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

You have been watching Holby City haven't you? And yes to your previous haematology (blood stuff!!) question D is the rhesus antigen!
ViVi
LOL I have on the odd occasion watched Holby city, more must have sunk in than I realised.

I found some info on the Australian web cross website quote

"As you will see from the above table O negative blood can be given to a recipient of any other blood type. O negative blood is vital in emergency situations when there is no time to check the patient's blood type. O negative donors are referred to as "universal donors". Hence, it is vital that there is always a sufficient supply of O negative blood to ensure we are well prepared for emergencies. "

So unfortunately for base_sydney there is a universal group and he is it. Sorry I was trying to be helpfull.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

i am b-

don't know how rare this is?! do the percentages in aus not loosely reflect that of the uk or is there a significant difference for negative blood groups??
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:21 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

LOL I have on the odd occasion watched Holby city, more must have sunk in than I realised.

I found some info on the Australian web cross website quote

"As you will see from the above table O negative blood can be given to a recipient of any other blood type. O negative blood is vital in emergency situations when there is no time to check the patient's blood type. O negative donors are referred to as "universal donors". Hence, it is vital that there is always a sufficient supply of O negative blood to ensure we are well prepared for emergencies. "

So unfortunately for base_sydney there is a universal group and he is it. Sorry I was trying to be helpfull.
Are you bored or what!! By the way what does LOL .. Lots of love? Lots of Lollies? Leave our Lenny??
ViVi TVM (TA VERY MUCH...HEH HEH)
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moomin
i am b-

don't know how rare this is?! do the percentages in aus not loosely reflect that of the uk or is there a significant difference for negative blood groups??
Again I refer to the Aussie Red Cross site, Moomin, your blood type is held by 2% of the population. But I guess there is also the universal doner held by 9% ofthe population. So that makes 11% in total.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:32 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by moomin
i am b-

2% B- in Australia
2% B- in UK

seems that it has quite to do with our family background

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/world_blood.html

The frequency of the four main groups O, A, B and AB varies in populations throughout the world. In the UK, although not in every case, the rarer blood groups are often found in donors with similar ethnic backgrounds. For example, in the UK, over all just 10% of the population are B group. Yet in people from an Asian background, 25% have this blood group. Many people with rare blood groups or suffering from conditions which require regular blood such as thalassaemia, leukaemia and those undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, need closely matched blood. If they have a rarer group, we do sometimes struggle to get a perfect match for them.

Sufferers of Beta Thalassaemia Major, are 100% dependent on donors – without them, they wouldn’t be alive. But they need the right match, which means blood donated by people with rarer blood groups, found in donors from similar ethnic backgrounds. We are only too aware that blood donors do not, at present, reflect Britons rich multicultural population.

Where did these different blood groups come from? In the same way that people, cultures and languages change from country to country, so do blood groups. This means that some types are more common in certain ethnic and national groups and, despite the fact these groups become more mixed as people move around the globe, it’s still possible to see how blood groups differ from population to population.

The O group is the oldest of the blood groups. Back in the Stone Age, everyone would have been O – and today it’s still the most common group in the UK, especially in the North of England. Over in Central and South America and the USA most people are O too. The fact that anyone can receive O blood reflects the fact that all other blood groups are derived from it.

Group A is the second oldest blood group, appearing around 25,000 - 15,000BC, when larger human settlements first appeared as farming developed. You’ll find a lot of A in Central and Eastern Europe. It’s the commonest group in Norway, Denmark, Austria, Armenia and Japan.

If you’re looking for group B, then try the Chinese or Asian communities, where around a quarter of all people share this blood group. It emerged between 15,000 and 10,000BC as tribes migrated from Africa to Europe, Asia and the Americas and mingled with other populations.

The newest and rarest group, AB, only appeared between 1000 and 500 years ago, and is believed to have occurred as a response to the mixing of existing blood groups on a major scale. In Japan, China and Pakistan around 10% of the population boast this rarest of blood groups.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Are you bored or what!! By the way what does LOL .. Lots of love? Lots of Lollies? Leave our Lenny??
ViVi TVM (TA VERY MUCH...HEH HEH)
LOL = Lovo of lollies, that sounds right I do love lollies, but I take it to mean laugh out loud.

As for being bored, I am putting off doing my ironing.

Katie
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:37 am
vivi

LOL = Lovo of lollies, that sounds right I do love lollies, but I take it to mean laugh out loud.

As for being bored, I am putting off doing my ironing.

Katie
Do the ironing tomorrow, its going to be 18c and raining in Brissie tomorrow!!
or SIFT sod it for today!!
ViVi
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Do the ironing tomorrow, its going to be 18c and raining in Brissie tomorrow!!
or SIFT sod it for today!!

ViVi
Thanks - you have given me a good excuse now
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Thanks - you have given me a good excuse now
Me= 0-
Him=AB-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.