NZ work visa

Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Unicorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ work visa

Hello all,
Just looking for a few ideas on getting a work visa to NZ. Being from the US, I can't get a holiday work visa and I don't have enough points on my own. I don't have enough experience for a company to sponsor me. Let me know if there is an avenue that I have missed. Thanks!
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:05 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ work visa

Originally posted by Unicorn
Hello all,
Just looking for a few ideas on getting a work visa to NZ. Being from the US, I can't get a holiday work visa and I don't have enough points on my own. I don't have enough experience for a company to sponsor me. Let me know if there is an avenue that I have missed. Thanks!
The only feasible route for you is to go to NZ on a tourist visa and look for work there. The NZIS have relaxed their rules on this and whilst you should still say 'tourist' at Immigration (if asked purpose of your trip), you can freely look for work/ attend interviews etc. If you get a valid job offer it is easy and quick to get a work visa while you are in NZ (almost over the counter).
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ work visa

You can get a Working Holiday Visa from the US. It's not advertised on the NZIS site as you have to go through a third party. There are 2 co's that deal with it - www.bunac.com & www.ccusa.com
Think it's more expensive than usual but it's the only way you can get one.

Gra..
Old Sep 5th 2003, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point

I find this topic very interesting. We are from the UK, my husband has applied for work in NZ but im worried if he does not get the job offer we wont be able to get a visa. You say its ok to get visitor visa and apply for the work on a visit, how long does the visitor visa last. We were thinking of coming to NZ in Feb if he does not get job offer and maybe try in person, it sounds like it could be a better option. Does anyone have any advice on this.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 8:54 am
Don
Banned

UK citizens get a 6 month tourist visa on arrival in NZ and can extend this easily (just once) by another 3 months. Giving a total of 9 months to find a job and arrange a work visa.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
UK citizens get a 6 month tourist visa on arrival in NZ and can extend this easily (just once) by another 3 months. Giving a total of 9 months to find a job and arrange a work visa.

Thanks for that info my hubby will be as pleased as I am to hear this. Ah my intergestion has now gone.

thanks
Dee
Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
So you don't need a visitors visa stamped in your passport before you go?

Don, you'll be off soon, been meaning to ask, why have you been in Poland/Austria for months, is it work or family relations?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

opps i ment indigestion

sorry about that
dee
Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the latest "Destination New Zealand" newspaper delivered this morning and one of the stories is about the Stokes family from Nottinghamshire who are going out on a tourists visa and looking for work when they get there. It says their tourist visa is for a year which I dont really understand cos I was led to believe you could only get one for 6 months by NZIS so I dont know how they managed that.
Sky
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:17 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
So you don't need a visitors visa stamped in your passport before you go?

Don, you'll be off soon, been meaning to ask, why have you been in Poland/Austria for months, is it work or family relations?
UK citizens normally just fill in the arrivals card on the plane and get 'automatic' 6 month tourist visa on arrival. (NZIS reserve the right to refuse entry and send you home again if you are an undesirable, I guess that means if they know you are a convicted murderer or similar but I suppose it also means if you are blind drunk when you get off the plane!)

As for us, we were here for work and it's not long now until NZ bids us kia-ora...