NZ We're off

Old Mar 12th 2002, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Karen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ We're off

Well we have finally got the go ahead from NZIS for our work deferral visa which allows us to go over and get a job which will then give us the points needed for our PR.

We have 3mths to leave the UK and then 6mths to get a job. My husband as the prinicpal applicant has to fill in one more form and I need to get a temporary visa as his visa will not cover me - they don't make these things easy, I'm hoping to get a working holiday visa so that I can at least earn something whilst there.

Just for time lines we submitted our inital application on the 16th Jan, recieved a letter on the 6th Feb stating that we only had 24 points (we had misinterpreted how many points we got for my degree), we wrote that day to say that we wanted to follow the work deferral option and finally got a letter on the 8th March to say we could go ahead.

Now all we have to do is sort out the house, shipping etc within the 3mths time frame!!!!

Can't wait though !!!

Karen
Old Mar 13th 2002, 6:05 pm
Nicki

Default Re: NZ We're off

On 12 Mar 2002 07:32:42 -0600, Karen <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well we have finally got the go ahead from NZIS for our work deferral visa
    >which allows us to go over and get a job which will then give us the points
    >needed for our PR.
    >
    >We have 3mths to leave the UK and then 6mths to get a job. My husband as the
    >prinicpal applicant has to fill in one more form and I need to get a temporary visa
    >as his visa will not cover me - they don't make these things easy, I'm hoping to get
    >a working holiday visa so that I can at least earn something whilst there.
    >
    >Just for time lines we submitted our inital application on the 16th Jan, recieved a
    >letter on the 6th Feb stating that we only had 24 points (we had misinterpreted how
    >many points we got for my degree), we wrote that day to say that we wanted to follow
    >the work deferral option and finally got a letter on the 8th March to say we could
    >go ahead.
    >
    >Now all we have to do is sort out the house, shipping etc within the 3mths time
    >frame!!!!
    >
    >Can't wait though !!!
    >
    >Karen

Congrats, Karen! I don't envy you your 3 months time frame - 12 months seems daunting
enough! Still - it's good to be able to work to a deadline (as my boss keeps telling
me.....) )

All the best!

Nicki
--
(Remove SPAM from e-mail address to reply...)

Old Mar 15th 2002, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

venky_macho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Karen & all the other folks at the NG,
Looks like there is some contradiction in what is in the booklet:
Page 18 of SELF ASSESMENT GUIDE states that "you may be eligible to apply for a multiple entry work visa or work permit allowing a maximum stay in New Zealand of up to 6 months to enable you to seek an offer of emplyment in New Zealand for which you can be awarded points."

Then in the next 2nd para, it states:
the NZIS will write to you confirming your eligibility to apply for a work visa or permit. You will have one month from the date of that letter to lodge your application for the work visa or permit.

I dont seem to understand what this one month from the date of that letter means?
Have you checked whether for a work visa, does the employer has to be hassled with releasing any other paperwork from their side apart from just issuing a "OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT"?

Also, isn't it suggestable when you apply itself to state that you want to take the path of deferral work visa if one is falling short of 25 points and is well within the 5 points of the pass mark? Will this save a to and fro communication time for them to write a letter to you that you dont have 25 points?

Please reply.
Old Mar 15th 2002, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone please care answer this seemingly important issue. Just wondering why no one is feeling that this is important

Last edited by venky_macho; Mar 16th 2002 at 6:45 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2002, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone there?
Old Mar 17th 2002, 5:05 am
Pjh

First you lodge your PR application. If you fall short of the passmark and do not
have an offer of employment, you receive a letter from NZIS stating that you can
apply, within one month, for a six-month work visa. That allows you to go to NZ and
seek employment. If you obtain a job offer within that six months, you then follow
the guidelines to update your PR application with the additional five points.

PJH

In article <[email protected]>, venky_macho
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello Karen & all the other folks at the NG, Looks like there is some contradiction
    > in what is in the booklet: Page 18 of SELF ASSESMENT GUIDE states that "you may be
    > eligible to apply for a multiple entry work visa or work permit allowing a maximum
    > stay in New Zealand of up to 6 months to enable you to seek an offer of emplyment
    > in New Zealand for which you can be awarded points."
    >
    > Then in the next 2nd para, it states: the NZIS will write to you confirming your
    > eligibility to apply for a work visa or permit. You will have one month from the
    > date of that letter to lodge your application for the work visa or permit.
    >
    > I dont seem to understand what this one month from the date of that letter means?
    > Have you checked whether for a work visa, does the employer has to be hassled with
    > releasing any other paperwork from their side apart from just issuing a "OFFER OF
    > EMPLOYMENT"?
    >
    > Also, isn't it suggestable when you apply itself to state that you want to take the
    > path of deferral work visa if one is falling short of 25 points and is well within
    > the 5 points of the pass mark? Will this save a to and fro communication time for
    > them to write a letter to you that you dont have 25 points?
    >
    > Please reply.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > jamie sim
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 17th 2002, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Sorry I haven't replied. haven't been able to log on for a while.

As pjh stated you have to apply as normal and then they offer you the work permit.

Within the form that you receive for the work permit you have to state your departure date from the UK and also the funds that you have to support yourself with. I assume they give you a month of the three months to allow you to organise the flights etc.

Karen
Old Mar 17th 2002, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Pjh & Karen,
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate if you can also throw some light on the remaining part of my questions which is as follows:

1) Have you checked that for seeking employment, does the employer has to be hassled with releasing any other paperwork from their side apart from just issuing a "OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT"? . I ask this as most of the employers turn you away if they have to deal with immigration

2) Also, isn't it suggestable when you apply for PR itself stating that you want to take the path of deferral work visa if one is falling short of 25 points and is well within the 5 points of the pass mark? Will this save a to and fro communication time for them to write a letter to you that you dont have 25 points?

Please reply.
Old Mar 18th 2002, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Sorry I don't know the answer, so far as I am aware all we need is an offer of employment.

It may be worth applying for the deferral to start off with I don't know. as we misread the forms and thought that we had 25 points in the first place we never went down that path.

You could try phoning NZIS to ask, or looking at the immigration web site to see what they suggest

Karen