NZ versus Aus

Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NZ versus Aus

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Neither Australia nor NZ are that young that they shouldn't have any history. Where are the buildings of 100/200 years ago?
When we went to Sydney we looked forward to visiting the 'historic' area around the Harbour Bridge....can't remember what it's called off hand...but was disappointed to read in the museum about how it had all been destroyed.
Same here ....In Auckland musuem discovered how a pub remained the same for many years but despite many protests about preserving it, it was just pulled down.
Perhaps because they are new countries they have no interest in history. When my son was in his UK school, at the age of 7yrs he learnt about the Great Fire of London.Here he has had to choose,as an option, to study History in Yr11 (when 15yrs). It is unusual for History to be chosen as a subject. I work as a teacher aide in a primary school and have done so for a few years now.They have only once had History as a topic and that was the Egyptians. They never even study their own history.
The problem with preserving heritage sites in major cities is that it causes a reduction in economic growth, therefore jobs and taxes.

I live in Sydney near an area where there is an old industrial brewery and has been derelict for years. It is now being torn down and replaced with modern skyscrapers and will generate thousands of jobs and lots of taxes and land sale revenue for the Govt.

Basically in lots of cases heritage causes stagnation and a limitation of modern land usage.

Oh sure they may be nice and attract tourists, BUT economically they are better off being redeveloped for modern usage.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Neither Australia nor NZ are that young that they shouldn't have any history. Where are the buildings of 100/200 years ago?
When we went to Sydney we looked forward to visiting the 'historic' area around the Harbour Bridge....can't remember what it's called off hand...but was disappointed to read in the museum about how it had all been destroyed.
Same here ....In Auckland musuem discovered how a pub remained the same for many years but despite many protests about preserving it, it was just pulled down.
Perhaps because they are new countries they have no interest in history. When my son was in his UK school, at the age of 7yrs he learnt about the Great Fire of London.Here he has had to choose,as an option, to study History in Yr11 (when 15yrs). It is unusual for History to be chosen as a subject. I work as a teacher aide in a primary school and have done so for a few years now.They have only once had History as a topic and that was the Egyptians. They never even study their own history.
When did "the rocks" get destroyed...was there last time I visited? Lots of building 80-150 years old around australia...I studied Australian, French, British and other European, American, African, Asian, Middle Eastern etc history as part of compulsory history. Lots of people very interested in history, public buildings, character homes etc.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 20th 2010 at 2:16 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bryars2011
Hi,
We are the Bryar family and until recently were looking at emigrating to NZ. But it seems the more we have looked into it and read on the forum the more a daunting prospect it has seemed ie the lower wages and higher cost of living. We are now looking at Aus and would like anybodys input of why we should choose it before NZ.
Because of all the reasons you've already stated - better wages, better cost of living plus it's far more first world than NZ, they do things properly there, the kids are far less emo, the TV's better and the houses aren't sheds. There's supposed to be half a million kiwis living in Australia and only a fraction of Aussies living in NZ - what does that tell you?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Bryars2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the erm....well lets call it a debate...a bit heated at times but very constructive lol !
Its been enjoyable reading the comments and has been very informative of peoples views. We have looked in depth at both places and i'm sure they both have there pro's and cons. We are sure both places are beautiful in there own right and a lot I suppose depends on what type of lifestyle you want. we will make our decision based on what we believe is best for us and your input has been helpful.
Oh....and yes...we will let you know where we decide again.
Thanks again
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

]'m glad we've been of some assistence and I'm sure we will carry one this one. It's been of interest to a lot of us. Especially me,who is in NZ but thinking we would be better off in Oz.

Ah yes....it's called 'the rocks'. It was still there but not what we expected. Besides it was so hot I could barely put one foot infront of the other that day and was sweating buckets. Plus the kids wanted to stop every two minutes for a drink.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to study history. As you can gather I love it.It's here in NZ it seems ignored.

From my teenage son's point of view, there is a one day concert,here every year and they struggle to get bands and to sell tickets. He has seen,advertised on the internet, a huge concert over in OZ where all the big metal/rock names are playing and tickets for Melbourne are already sold out and this is for next year.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:59 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ versus Aus

Originally Posted by Bryars2011
We are sure both places are beautiful in there own right and a lot I suppose depends on what type of lifestyle you want.
Do bear in mind that many aspects of lifestyle have to be paid for.

BB
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

]'m glad we've been of some assistence and I'm sure we will carry one this one. It's been of interest to a lot of us. Especially me,who is in NZ but thinking we would be better off in Oz.

Ah yes....it's called 'the rocks'. It was still there but not what we expected. Besides it was so hot I could barely put one foot infront of the other that day and was sweating buckets. Plus the kids wanted to stop every two minutes for a drink.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to study history. As you can gather I love it.It's here in NZ it seems ignored.

From my teenage son's point of view, there is a one day concert,here every year and they struggle to get bands and to sell tickets. He has seen,advertised on the internet, a huge concert over in OZ where all the big metal/rock names are playing and tickets for Melbourne are already sold out and this is for next year.
Doesn't sound like it was a good time to be traipsing around history hunting. Better day to find a modern building with good a/c

To be honest you can get the same impression when you go anywhere as an outsider until you find the right people that suit you. When I lived in England the vast majority of people I met wandered past beautiful old buildings with barely a glance. I had to hunt for those who were interested.

I think as an outsider you tend to mix with different people to those you might have at home so the new people may not have the same interests as you - you can wrongly ascribe this to the country as a whole rather than the fact you haven't found your niche yet.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 21st 2010 at 1:53 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Trouble is I'm still still trying to find my niche after nearly 7 years. But that could be my fault. My husband always says that I have a very negetive view of life here, right from the start, so perhaps I haven't tried as hard as I could.
Examples of what I used to do back in the UK? Well I was a founder member of a Writers Group. There is one here,a small fun social group,but they meet on a Tuesday morning when I work. I used to show deerhounds. With the small population here, the entry is so small that even the most popular breeds in the UK are non-existant here or you can get one entered.Not much fun to win with nil competition. I was a member of the local pub quiz team and we travelled to compete against other local pubs. Well pub life,in general, is severely lacking. Etc. Etc.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trouble is I'm still still trying to find my niche after nearly 7 years. But that could be my fault. My husband always says that I have a very negetive view of life here, right from the start, so perhaps I haven't tried as hard as I could.
Examples of what I used to do back in the UK? Well I was a founder member of a Writers Group. There is one here,a small fun social group,but they meet on a Tuesday morning when I work. I used to show deerhounds. With the small population here, the entry is so small that even the most popular breeds in the UK are non-existant here or you can get one entered.Not much fun to win with nil competition. I was a member of the local pub quiz team and we travelled to compete against other local pubs. Well pub life,in general, is severely lacking. Etc. Etc.
You sound like you are in a small place? Maybe time to move to a city...drag your husband along
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
You sound like you are in a small place? Maybe time to move to a city...drag your husband along
There are no big cities in NZ.

I mean, here in Australia we don't think of Adelaide as a big city, yet it's much the same size as the biggest city in NZ!

BB
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There are no big cities in NZ.

I mean, here in Australia we don't think of Adelaide as a big city, yet it's much the same size as the biggest city in NZ!

BB

Well, maybe you should asked the Chinese what they consider big. I think you would have to take all the inhabitants of Australia, put them into one city and that might be a big city in China
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

I've already got tickets for Soundwave - can't wait!!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point

we are currently living in nz last 2 years, we now have a job offer with sponsorship in perth, we are really keen to go, only problem is my very elderly father is here with us on a 6 month visitor visa, 3 months in, has he got any chance of coming with us on a visitors visa out there on a 6 -9 month type thing if we are on sponsorship?

also, my understanding is that you become residents 2 years in to the 4 year sponsorship, what happens if you lost you job after 3 years?

Cheers
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: NZ versus Aus

Originally Posted by walshy
we are currently living in nz last 2 years, we now have a job offer with sponsorship in perth, we are really keen to go, only problem is my very elderly father is here with us on a 6 month visitor visa, 3 months in, has he got any chance of coming with us on a visitors visa out there on a 6 -9 month type thing if we are on sponsorship?
Yes the 676 is a visitors visa that would apply in this case.

Originally Posted by walshy
also, my understanding is that you become residents 2 years in to the 4 year sponsorship, what happens if you lost you job after 3 years?

Cheers
I don't think you will automatically become permanent residents after 2 years if you arrive on a temporary visa, you will have to apply for a permanent visa assuming you meet the criteria and then see if you are accepted. Once you have PR you're in for ever, unless you leave Australia for several years and your visa expires while you're away, or if you do anything stupid which results in your visa being cancelled, like murder etc.

BB
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:45 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamSi
If you choose to live in obscure shit-arse country towns where the only clothing is rugby jumpers and gumboots then either suck it up or leave.

On a more serious note though NZ does have several small towns that are really lovely with a fantastic lifestyle, you've just got to know which ones they are! Cambridge and Havelock North are two I know of, though they are both very "expat" so it depends if this bothers you.

NZ has a few draw cards that Australia doesn't, imo. The education system here, though lacking in some aspects (I concur with kentishlass' noting of the absence of history and as time goes on I become more and more NCEA sceptic) is generally excellent in the primary years- especially so in the affluent rural and semi-rural schools where kids can get an education with a freedom very hard to obtain in the UK. The Oz system was not so much to my liking and yes, as I was considering teacher training in both countries I spent time looking behind the scenes as well as bearing my own kids' experiences in mind.

It's temperate. The climate here can feel rubbish when you're renting a typical crap house but if you can build or buy something decent it's a very "get out there" climate with long warm summers and mild winters (obviously with some variation depending where you are). You rarely need air-con, which I think is a bonus because I don't like it.

Outside of Auckland we don't have the suburban sprawl that plagues most the places habitable in Australia. On the other hand we do a good line in run down country towns and cities that are really towns. I think if you fancy "lifestyle block" (or life sentence block) living, it's kind of more doable in NZ due to climate, costs etc.

Um, we've got great coffee

We've moved UK-NZ-Oz-NZ and if I'm very honest I *still* am not 100% crazy about NZ but it's more than 'fine for now', though I could see my kids wanting to go to uni in Australia as they both talk about it very fondly as they visit rellies there often and have happy memories of their time there, though they love NZ too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.