NZ Query.....Work exp. relevant to Quali...? A case...A simple question

NZ Query.....Work exp. relevant to Quali...? A case...A simple question

Old Jul 29th 2002, 2:28 pm
ams
Forum Regular

ams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Query.....Work exp. relevant to Quali...? A case...A simple question

Hi to everyone out there....

To award points for work experience, NZIS wants the exp. to be relevant to the formal qualification/education.

My case...

I'm a Bachelor of Commerce with honors (major in Accounting) from a university listed in NZIS recognized qualifications. I however have been working in IT althrough the 4 yrs. of my career.

What NZIS says about relevant work exp:

Work experience is considered relevant to a qualification where the NZIS is satisfied that the qualification was:

1. an important factor in the principal applicant being able to obtain work or continue or advance in the position or field of work in which they have experience;or

2. an important factor in a career path that has advanced progressively from the principal applicant ’s pre-qualification work experience.

For me a Bachelor's degree at the minimum was required to get into the job. This was a general requirement but how to prove it with documents if that is at all required?

Will NZIS consider my work exp. relevant to my education and award me 2 points?

Cheers
Old Jul 29th 2002, 4:35 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NZ Query.....Work exp. relevant to Quali...? A case...A simple question

Was it a UK university? The answer to your question is probably yes if you provide the rationale that your university degree was a necessary requirement to get the IT job. Elsewhere I have seen that graduates in English Lit who now work as accountants were deemed to have jobs relevant to their qualifications. The UK university system typically provides many degree courses that give a good general tertiary education which permits graduates to then follow a more vocational vocation, if you see what I mean, and the NZIS is prepared to accept this if you prepare a strong enough case.
Old Jul 29th 2002, 4:49 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Query.....Work exp. relevant to Quali...? A case...A simple question

Originally posted by newstartnz
The UK university system typically provides many degree courses that give a good general tertiary education which permits graduates to then follow a more vocational vocation
That's a bit of a mouthful to describe a generic education
Old Aug 17th 2002, 7:51 am
Helle Hansen

newstartnz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Was it a UK university? The answer to your question is probably yes if you provide
    > the rationale that your university degree was a necessary requirement to get the IT
    > job. Elsewhere I have seen that graduates in English Lit who now work as
    > accountants were deemed to have jobs relevant to their qualifications. The UK
    > university system typically provides many degree courses that give a good general
    > tertiary education which permits graduates to then follow a more vocational
    > vocation, if you see what I mean, and the NZIS is prepared to accept this if you
    > prepare a strong enough case.

Hi all,

we have a similar problem with qualifications matching work experience. My husband
has an MA and a doctorate in history but has for the last many years worked in
computers. Before that he worked for the immigration people in our country, haha.
Obviously, none of his jobs have anything directly to do with his qualifications, he
got the immigration job because they wanted somebody with a tertiary degree but not
specifically a history degree. Our question is: if qualifications have to match work
experience what do we do? There are very few people who get a job as a historian at a
university so how does one persuade the NZIS that his work experience is relevant to
his work experience. The degree is not from a UK university.

Thanks a lot for any answers.

Helle
    > --

Old Aug 17th 2002, 10:14 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

My advice would be not to worry. My degree had nothing to do with my work experience, I took it for granted (it being a UK degree) that NZIS would automatically accept that having a univ education was a prerequisite to getting the job (though I never said this explicitly) and NZIS never queried my degree's relevance. I think NZIS is very 'human' in this respect, ie accept that in the UK we often choose an airy fairy degree subject like archaeology, history, languages & literature etc then go on to a completely different non-related career. Whahay the UK university system!, what luxury we have to follow our interests for 3 or more years before we have to get vocational!