Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ great for some, but not all

NZ great for some, but not all

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

NZtoUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ great for some, but not all

I feel sympathy for those expats turned Kiwis who leap to the defense of their adopted country because someone said something nasty about it. Poor people. Perhaps they are happy ignoring the problems NZ faces but I never was. Here we have an interesting report in the Press that highlights some of the varied reasons why we found NZ to be not to our liking. I could care less if the wannabes dispute it or not.

'She'll be right' role in child-abuse rate
23 August 2004
By KAMALA HAYMAN, VERNON SMALL

A complacent "she'll be right" attitude may be contributing to New Zealand's shocking child abuse figures, Children's Commissioner Cindy Kiro says.

New Zealand appeared tragically out of step with most developed nations in a comparison of child deaths by maltreatment, according to a report released yesterday.

The Ministry of Social Development's Social Report – which compares OECD countries on 23 indicators – also showed New Zealanders were under-educated, underpaid, and overweight.

We also appeared more likely to be satisfied with our lot and more trusting of others, with an overwhelming 80 per cent of us saying we are satisfied with our lives.

Kiro warned New Zealanders should be shaken out of such complacency.

In the year to June 2003, 7300 cases of child abuse were substantiated: this rose to 8000 in the following year. "The notification rates are going up and the rates of serious cases are going up," Kiro said.

The number of hospitalisations due to non-accidental injuries also appeared to be rising.

Kiro said several factors contributed to New Zealand's high rates of child abuse. These included the widespread acceptance that it was OK to hit children – 80% of adult New Zealanders supported the right to smack – and the reluctance to step in.

AdvertisementAdvertisement"I think there's something about the New Zealand she'll be right attitude and willingness not to judge our mates," Kiro said. "We tolerate levels of domestic violence that are actually quite high and there's a really strong association between domestic violence and violence against children."

Two-year-old Delcelia Witika was killed by her stepfather and mother after a prolonged period of abuse, yet friends knew what was happening, Kiro said.

"His mates knew this had been going on and not one single one said anything."

She urged people to "be nosy again".

"Everybody has to change their attitude and treasure children."

In other indicators New Zealand performed well – life expectancy, education, employment, and absence of corruption – but it fell into the bottom half of the OECD in per capita incomes, income inequality, youth suicide, obesity and literacy.

Voter turnout, housing affordability, income inequality and low incomes have deteriorated since the 1980s, but the ministry said the May Budget, and its "Working for families" package, should have a positive impact on these indicators.

National's welfare spokeswoman Katherine Rich said the report card gave the country a C-plus and highlighted yet again areas of critical need.

"For the sake of our children we cannot accept such a dismal pass mark," Rich said. "Our youth suicide rate remains the highest in the world for males and second highest for females."

Poor literacy rates and an average wage that lagged behind Australia provided real cause for concern.

Green Party social services spokeswoman Sue Bradford said the report showed that the gap between the haves and have-nots was still widening.

"It's all very well to have a strong economy but too many New Zealanders are being left out in the cold."

She called for an immediate rise to $11 an hour in the minimum wage, saying it was shameful that 10% of us live in overcrowded accommodation.

The report showed gaps between Maori and Pacific people and the rest of the population were closing. For instance Maori were outstripping everyone else in their participation rate in tertiary education, at 16% against 10% for the rest of the population. The figures included training schemes and modern apprenticeships.

The increased participation rate had not translated into higher educational attainment, with Maori and Pacific people improving on previous years but still lagging.

Outcomes for Maori and Pacific people were still relatively poor in health, economic standard of living and paid work.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 7:05 pm
Banned

Diprotodon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ great for some, but not all

For a minute I thought you had an opinion, then I realised this was another Kong style C+P.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:34 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

NZtoUK - we are NOT ignoring NZ issues - all we ask is that every time someone posts about NZ, gits like you don't put a post up saying 'what do you want to go there for?'

Your beautiful c&p (well done you) does raise important questions about what is happening in this country - but you make it sound like this issue is ONLY found in NZ.

Could you possibly bring a bit of balance to your pov? Or would that be asking too much?
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollster
NZtoUK - we are NOT ignoring NZ issues - all we ask is that every time someone posts about NZ, gits like you don't put a post up saying 'what do you want to go there for?'

Your beautiful c&p (well done you) does raise important questions about what is happening in this country - but you make it sound like this issue is ONLY found in NZ.

Could you possibly bring a bit of balance to your pov? Or would that be asking too much?
Git am I? Charmed I'm sure. As regards balanced opinion I gues you will have posted all of your negative feelings about NZ? NO, I didn't think so. In which case where is that balance YOU are so keen on? Therefore I reserve the right to cut and paste valid observations and comment on them. Finally if you can quote where it is I suggested that people "don't go there" then I will concede all of your valid points.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

There is child abuse the world over, NOT JUST NZ.
Gill
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
There is child abuse the world over, NOT JUST NZ.
Gill
I don't remember saying otherwise! However if you read the entire piece you will see that that is not the only major issue facing NZ. Of course these problems are not specific to NZ, but when all I ever read on this website is how wonderful the scenery is/the place is paradise, then I feel obliged to reply.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NZtoUK
Git am I? Charmed I'm sure. As regards balanced opinion I gues you will have posted all of your negative feelings about NZ? NO, I didn't think so. In which case where is that balance YOU are so keen on? Therefore I reserve the right to cut and paste valid observations and comment on them. Finally if you can quote where it is I suggested that people "don't go there" then I will concede all of your valid points.
Were you abused NZtoUK? Is that why you are returning to the UK?
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

appletree is an unknown quantity at this point

NZtoUK is that old muppetking poster.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember saying otherwise! However if you read the entire piece you will see that that is not the only major issue facing NZ. Of course these problems are not specific to NZ, but when all I ever read on this website is how wonderful the scenery is/the place is paradise, then I feel obliged to reply.

Whatever went wrong in NZ for you is your problem. Don't you think we know there are problems here? But it's our own choice to live here. Some of us even love it, the place is certainly much more than just wonderful scenery! We came not for the money, but the change is lifestyle. We are achieveing lots here we could only have dreamed of in the UK.

Gill
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Whatever went wrong in NZ for you is your problem. Don't you think we know there are problems here? But it's our own choice to live here. Some of us even love it, the place is certainly much more than just wonderful scenery! We came not for the money, but the change is lifestyle. We are achieveing lots here we could only have dreamed of in the UK.

Gill
Good on ya. Nothing went 'wrong' by the way. We made a personal decision.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Touche. I'll have to remember your post when I'm serving it up to wannabe Aussies - hope you don't mind if I quote it.

And I always thought the rose-tinted specs were big in Oz. But, reading the reactions to your posts, they're like contact lenses compared to those handed out prior to landing at Auckland Parochial Airport.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Touche. I'll have to remember your post when I'm serving it up to wannabe Aussies - hope you don't mind if I quote it.

And I always thought the rose-tinted specs were big in Oz. But, reading the reactions to your posts, they're like contact lenses compared to those handed out prior to landing at Auckland Parochial Airport.
I am always astounded when people react as if you had farted in their lift. As if it's personal!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:26 am
Kiwified member

I post exactly what I think, and in terms of negative feelings about NZ, I haven't got any - I have mentioned things that other people find intensely annoying in case they may be important to others but my 'rose tinted contact lenses' (thanks Mike, nice to see you still on the bash NZ bandwagon) are not required.

I like it here, I am happy here and that is about the sum of it. Perhaps you wold be more useful to the discussion if you told us a little about why you were in NZ, what you liked, what you didn't like and why you are going (back?)to the UK? Personal choice is all you have given us so far - a few more details might help us to accept your constant putting down of NZ as a reasonable pov?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollster
I post exactly what I think, and in terms of negative feelings about NZ, I haven't got any - I have mentioned things that other people find intensely annoying in case they may be important to others but my 'rose tinted contact lenses' (thanks Mike, nice to see you still on the bash NZ bandwagon) are not required.

I like it here, I am happy here and that is about the sum of it. Perhaps you wold be more useful to the discussion if you told us a little about why you were in NZ, what you liked, what you didn't like and why you are going (back?)to the UK? Personal choice is all you have given us so far - a few more details might help us to accept your constant putting down of NZ as a reasonable pov?
So following your devastating logic I am now entitled to say 'I don't like it here, I am not happy here, and that is about the sum of it'. And excusing yourself for saying exactly what you think, ie providing personal insults, does not reflect well on you.
The article says many things about NZ, some good but some bad. I find it unlikely that you have even read it otherwise you would have known that. As regards my 'personal' decisions they are wrapped up in a whole host of things. NZ did not and cannot provide the things that we hold dear due to it's isloation and poor earning power. But that would just be scratching the surface.
So you are happy there. Well done. But get off your high horse about the place being criticised on an open forum.

Last edited by NZtoUK; Aug 24th 2004 at 7:27 am.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:12 am
Kiwified member

So following your devastating logic I am now entitled to say 'I don't like it here, I am not happy here, and that is about the sum of it'. And excusing yourself for saying exactly what you think, ie providing personal insults, does not reflect well on you.
The article says many things about NZ, some good but some bad. I find it unlikely that you have even read it otherwise you would have known that. As regards my 'personal' decisions they are wrapped up in a whole host of things. NZ did not and cannot provide the things that we hold dear due to it's isloation and poor earning power. But that would just be scratching the surface.
So you are happy there. Well done. But get off your high horse about the place being criticised on an open forum.
I am not against criticism - what I am against is the constant, pointless kiwi bashing that goes on. I am perfectly happy for people to say I don't like NZ because of ........ whatever it might be.

And the use of the word git is almost a term of endearment coming from me so think yourself lucky!