dog to Oz

Old May 24th 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default dog to Oz

I was hoping one of you may be able to advise me. We have a dog and are planning on moving out to Oz later in the year. Has anybody transported a dog to Oz and if so what was it like and how did it affect the dog?

Thanks in advance
From Katie
Old May 24th 2004, 7:01 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog to Oz

Originally posted by KatieStar
I was hoping one of you may be able to advise me. We have a dog and are planning on moving out to Oz later in the year. Has anybody transported a dog to Oz and if so what was it like and how did it affect the dog?

Thanks in advance
From Katie
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=dog+oz+cats

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=dog+oz+cats (read the WHOLE post)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=dogs

The search function is very useful

Old May 24th 2004, 9:00 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance
From Katie
Hey Katie

WE too are transporting our dog and two cats to Oz this September.

I would recommend a company that does everything for you like GOlden Arrow, they are good.
As long as your dog is upto date on all his jabs and is microchipped he will only have to be in quarrantine for 28 days.

But i am more than happy to share with you my experience if we get there before you.

Good luck
Kate

Old May 24th 2004, 9:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
From Katie
Hi katie
Have not and would not do it, but then we don't have any pets at present.
It can be an expensive excercise. Be warned:scared:

Good luck anyway

G
Old May 24th 2004, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

putsy is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as your dog is upto date on all his jabs and is microchipped he will only have to be in quarrantine for 28 days.
Isn`t that like a human sitting in a cage for 7 months? I'd love to bring my cat but I couldn`t bear the guilt of jailing him for a week let alone a month.
Old May 24th 2004, 10:14 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is interested, I was in contact with the humane society of Australia. I cant remember the name of the person at the moment. ( i'm at work, saved her e-mails at home) but I spoke to her about the UK's passports for pets program, and she said they would bring it up at the next meeting with customs and immigration officials. They suggest that I lobby to DIMIA (i think thats the right one). I sure would like to be able to get my doggy's through without quarantine! If anyone wants to help lobby, I can get the information.
Old May 25th 2004, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get your dog used to being in a crate before you leave, that would be helpful. Both my puppies are "crate-trained". This seems to be the latest thinking with puppies. At a young age, they readily go into a crate, they won't soil it, and it's somewhere to put them while you want to be busy or need to go out, without worrying about them destroying the house. It's not cruel, dogs naturally like their own little den to go into. It's a better way to transport them in the boot of the car too. If your dog is older and has never been in a crate, try doing a search on the net and read up about crate-training for older dogs. That way you can accustom him before the day that he goes on the plane.
Old May 25th 2004, 2:52 am
Just Joined

hongkong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by putsy
Isn`t that like a human sitting in a cage for 7 months? I'd love to bring my cat but I couldn`t bear the guilt of jailing him for a week let alone a month.
Hello Putsy

http://www.dog-pictures.co.uk/dog-ca...training.shtml

:lecture:

Cheers HK
Old May 25th 2004, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

we transported our labrador last november, he had never been in a crate before, or kennels. he was fine, didnt soil his crate, bounded out to investigate when he got to quarantine, obviously loved the staff there as he was all over them when we picked him up. he was in great condition when we got him out, all groomed, eyes bathed, everything.

we took his crate home from quarantine and he now uses it as a kennel, he has no problems with it, it obviously hasnt traumatised him.

we used airpets at heathrow who were great, they did everything except the blood tests and i think it cost about 2000 including quarantine.

lynn
Old May 25th 2004, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

It would be great if that could happen but to be honest I doubt very much whether it will ever change here-I hope so but I don't hold any hope. they are very strict with the rules here.

Originally posted by callë
If anyone is interested, I was in contact with the humane society of Australia. I cant remember the name of the person at the moment. ( i'm at work, saved her e-mails at home) but I spoke to her about the UK's passports for pets program, and she said they would bring it up at the next meeting with customs and immigration officials. They suggest that I lobby to DIMIA (i think thats the right one). I sure would like to be able to get my doggy's through without quarantine! If anyone wants to help lobby, I can get the information.
Old May 25th 2004, 8:10 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Dog Teleportation Service - $66.00
Old May 25th 2004, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking into this in too. I was concerned about the long trip. The RSPCA lady I spoke to said that dogs don't have a concept of time so 24 hours in a cage doesn't mean anything to them.
I like the idea of buying a cage for the dog to get used to though. My dog came from the RSPCA and was traumatised by 3 weeks in the RSPCA kennel even though I took him for walks everyday there- he didn't bark for a month after we brought him home here.!
Old May 25th 2004, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

Originally posted by callë
Why wouldn't the Pet Passport Scheme work? We are NOT bringing our yr old german shepherd because we dont know how long we will stay in Aus. Im up for lobbying, as we would take her if there was no quarantine.
Old May 25th 2004, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

It is only 30 days-how could you leave her behind? Will you really be in Oz less than 6 months?

It won't work not because there is a valid reason but because rules are rules in Australia and they make a lot of money from the quarantine!

Originally posted by Rosie n family
Why wouldn't the Pet Passport Scheme work? We are NOT bringing our yr old german shepherd because we dont know how long we will stay in Aus. Im up for lobbying, as we would take her if there was no quarantine.
Old May 25th 2004, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

Originally posted by melaniee
It is only 30 days-how could you leave her behind? Will you really be in Oz less than 6 months?

It won't work not because there is a valid reason but because rules are rules in Australia and they make a lot of money from the quarantine!
I know it breaks my heart. My mum is gonna have her but the kids are quite upset, we will probably stay at least a year but we are quite unsure of where we are gonna go (Sydney area) and have no place to stay yet. If things work out and we settle quickly Mum could get her sent out, we just had to make a decision and my Mum really loves her and wants to have her. The worst thing is if we come back it would be unfair to take her back as she would be used to Mum, its not an ideal situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.