Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by N.Finn Fan
Last question promise, when are the changes likely to come into force, anyone have a date?
2 days ago!

Gen Skills isn't totally scrapped until later in the year or early next year, but they haven't given a date yet..

Shirley, no, I haven't been in touch but I'm very sure she's is un-affected by all this as she wasn't using Gen Skills.

Gra....
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 7:57 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jajpe
Glad to hear that Paula should be O.K. i tried to email her a couple of nights ago to check if she is affected but the address she gave me seemed to fail. i might try a PM in case she still logs on here from time to time! have you been in touch Gra!! Hope your right either way!
Had an email from Paula the other night and she said that hopefully they will benefit from the changes as their application may well be pushed through. Fingers crossed for them both!

Sandra
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:08 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Gra.B
2 days ago!

Gen Skills isn't totally scrapped until later in the year or early next year, but they haven't given a date yet..

Shirley, no, I haven't been in touch but I'm very sure she's is un-affected by all this as she wasn't using Gen Skills.

Gra....

Hi Folks,

Just logged in to see how youre all doing with the latest news.

As far as we can gather we should be one of the few people who will benifit from the announcement (in theory). Have to say though could well do without turning on the TV to hear news reporters going on about sendin people home! :scared:
We are here on a work to residence talent visa but have jumped the gun and applied for residency under general skills. Our application was lodged on the 30th May 03 we reach the 29 pionts and have a relevant job offer with an occupation that is on the OSL list. I spoke to NZIS and have been told that our application will go ahead and be unaffected. Although reading between the lines re:relevant job offer/on the OSL/not in Auckland theoretically our application should be fast tracked. Although I suspect that NZIS staff are running round like chickens with their heads cut off coping with the demand for info due to the changes so I'm not holding my breath.
My thoughts are with all of you trying to work out your next step. The way we have interpreted the changes is that people should still have a good chance of residency if you have the golden ticket (relevant job offer). If you can help that along with not going to Auckland and having a skill on the OSL list, I reckon your chances are as good as they were before.

Good luck to you all.

Paula
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Although reading between the lines re:relevant job offer/on the OSL/not in Auckland theoretically our application should be fast tracked. Although I suspect that NZIS staff are running round like chickens with their heads cut off coping with the demand for info due to the changes so I'm not holding my breath.
My thoughts are with all of you trying to work out your next step. The way we have interpreted the changes is that people should still have a good chance of residency if you have the golden ticket (relevant job offer). If you can help that along with not going to Auckland and having a skill on the OSL list, I reckon your chances are as good as they were before.
Good luck to you, Paula, I hope you get in one way or the other.

The non-Auckland bias is only for the new Skilled Migrants Category, when it comes in. They want to offer bonus points for people looking to settle outside of Auckland. But there are no changes, in that regard, to the General Skills or Interim General Skills category for old or new applications, before the Skilled Migrants Category emerges.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cool

Watt Dabney
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Glad to see you'll be ok......
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cool

Watt Dabney
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Glad to see you'll be ok......
Old Jul 4th 2003, 5:07 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jajpe
Glad to hear that Paula should be O.K. i tried to email her a couple of nights ago to check if she is affected but the address she gave me seemed to fail. i might try a PM in case she still logs on here from time to time! have you been in touch Gra!! Hope your right either way!

Shirley,

If youv'e read my post you will see I think we are going to be OK. Very unnerving though!! How's your'e application going, are you hoping this means they will push your'es through too.

My e-mail I gave you is right though its difficult to read with the line underneath it cause there is a _ between the two names. Try that its should work then.

See ya

Paula
Old Jul 4th 2003, 5:29 am
Just Joined

smithbdb is an unknown quantity at this point

First time at the site - apologies if this has been covered many times before - but it is much more relevant to my situation now....

So, how does NZIS assess the relevancy of a job offer to your work experience?

Are all office administration jobs created equal or do they have to be in the same industry to be seen as relevant experience?

Any second or first hand stories would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Ben
Old Jul 4th 2003, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithbdb
So, how does NZIS assess the relevancy of a job offer to your work experience?

Ben
There may be other ways but if you go to the Occupational Shortage List, it shows the necessary qualification for that occupation (i.e. the qualification for which the occupation is relevant). I think qualifications are indicative as not all countries have always had qualifications that match the names given there.

Also check out the Priority Occupations List

Last edited by sofistek; Jul 4th 2003 at 1:54 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Shirley,

If youv'e read my post you will see I think we are going to be OK. Very unnerving though!! How's your'e application going, are you hoping this means they will push your'es through too.

My e-mail I gave you is right though its difficult to read with the line underneath it cause there is a _ between the two names. Try that its should work then.

See ya

Paula

Hi Paula,
So good to hear from you that all is indeed O.K. I will have to try the email again as i didn't get the _ bit at all!! A bit of a shock was it not at the beginning of the week but happily as you say it is an ill wind that blows nobody good and I would like to formally announce that as of today we are the proud holders of approval in principle for NZ PR!!!!!!

I think that Tori and I had it sussed that they have been holding on to a lot of applications although assessments have been complete, until this shock announcement was out of the way and now there will hopefully be a bit of a rush on. I hope so for yourselves as well, and also Tori who I know is hopeful for this week!! Maybe tomorrow who knows!

To add to the excitement today we also had house viewers tonight who seemed very keen - so who knows! Maybe things are just meant to fall into place all at once. Wouldn't that be lovely! I think it is hard to really enjoy the visa bit (felt like a bit of an anti-climax when it arrived to be honest!) until the house is sold and we are able to transfer funds. Also the countdown begins from today so we are no longer able to put everything on the long finger but we have dates and deadlines to meet and the reality kicks in bigtime!!!

If anyone from NZIS is reading this please don't think I didn't appreciate that letter today - I really, really did honest, it's just I suppose there are always going to be such mixed feelings associated with this process-an absolute rollercoaster as it has been described many times before!!

Anyway we have definately hit a peak today and best wishes to all those still waiting. I bet there will be a lot now pretty quickly! (we lodged our application in London on 1/5/03 with a job offer just in case anyone is interested re how long it took etc.)

Last edited by jajpe; Jul 5th 2003 at 1:17 am.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

S/pick is an unknown quantity at this point

Help!

I have been unable to get to the computer all week. I've just read news of the changes. Now My husband and I are worried, in fact getting a headache. Just 1 question, we have 24 points plus a revelant job offer but we are waiting for the qualifications to be sent back fasttrack so we can submit our application. Am I reading this wrong or is this okay to get a PR.

Please reply extremely worried person.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by S/pick
Help!

I have been unable to get to the computer all week. I've just read news of the changes. Now My husband and I are worried, in fact getting a headache. Just 1 question, we have 24 points plus a revelant job offer but we are waiting for the qualifications to be sent back fasttrack so we can submit our application. Am I reading this wrong or is this okay to get a PR.

Please reply extremely worried person.
I'm sure you're ok, you've got the job offer which is the all important bit now, as long as you get the application in as soon as poss..

Gra..