Reload this Page >

Might like to know.....

Might like to know.....

Old Jul 4th 2003, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Might like to know.....

Ok
So NEARLY there........Visa looks like it is going to be granted so have been searching for flight options to Auckland and then internally to Nelson. We have found availability on flights with Air New zealnd at £540n each via USA so we get 74 kg baggage each. All looking fine and dandy until we were informed that on the enternal flights the allowance is only 20kg!!

Was everyone aware of this or am I just being daft!

So we are now planning to fly to Auckland stay a couple of nights and then get a hire car down to Wellington ferry across to Picton and then pick up a second hire car, drive to Nelson find our rental accomadation.....

Wake up and say thank you to my husband for driving all that way and letting me sleep!! might even make him a cuppa once he brings all the baggage in!!

Any suggestions???

Tori

:scared: :scared:
Old Jul 4th 2003, 9:26 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

same route we came and when i spoke to air nz i told them we were pr visa and he did it even cheaper...300pound each with triple baggage allowance as the flight was nearly empty...nz thursday flight from heathrow...great company air nz....
Nelson is great,called in for a few days when coming south.The inter islander ferry was like a horror film in water.....soooooooo rough,uuuuupp,,dooooowwwnnn.Had to chain everything down on it big time as it was a 6 mtr swell
good luck
Old Jul 4th 2003, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by deedee
same route we came and when i spoke to air nz i told them we were pr visa and he did it even cheaper...300pound each with triple baggage allowance as the flight was nearly empty...nz thursday flight from heathrow...great company air nz....
Nelson is great,called in for a few days when coming south.The inter islander ferry was like a horror film in water.....soooooooo rough,uuuuupp,,dooooowwwnnn.Had to chain everything down on it big time as it was a 6 mtr swell
good luck
Thanks for the reply - did you just ring Air Nz? I emailed them and just got a standard reply saying no change in price or baggage allowance?

Tori
Old Jul 4th 2003, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Auckland Wellington is about a 8-9 hour drive think English country roads rather than motorways and dual carrigeways. If you plan to take it easy and visit some places on the way down a car is an excellent idea, but if you just want to get to Wellington in a day, consider the train, it takes about 12 hours and it's no intercity express, but it goes through some wonderfull countryside and it's a very relaxeing way to travel.

If it still runs it leaves early morning and gets you their in the evening, it is one of the few passenger services left in NZ.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:03 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Tizus,

I would have double checked what additional luggage allowance they might have done for you on the internal flight. They would normally be pretty understanding, especially as you have spent so much with them on the Int'l flights.

But the issue might be that within the country Air NZ is competing as a low cost carrier, and if you book through the internet (which you probably would) they are really no frills tickets. But dead cheap for that.

We will be flying in to Nelson when we go too, to visit my parents and chill out for a few days (there is nowhere better). We will try this time to co-ordinate our international and internal flights a bit better. Last time, we had to go Auckland to Wellington to Nelson, and our agent had not allowed enough time at Auckland. Note there is a 10-15min walk between terminals at Auckland, or shuttle bus.

Also be aware if you fly through Wellington, that the flight to Nelson from there is on a smaller tuboprop plane. Maybe that is why they might enforce the 20kg limit a bit more. Direct flights from Auckland to Nelson, although infrequent should be on larger planes (although still turboprop probably).

If you have not yet finalised your plans, I would still look at flying to Nelson (it will save you 2 days).
Best case is that at Auckland checkin, you can sweet talk them into allowing the extra baggage (who knows the plane might not be full). Worst case you can pay for one/two bags to go as excess baggage. It would still likely be cheaper than the rental car + at least one motel night + ferry crossing.

On the other hand maybe you want to see the North Island?

Regards

Southerner
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:07 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

The ferry is great on a nice day, but in poor weather it can be brutal. Of the 2.5 hr journey only about 1 hr is on the open sea, and the rest is in the sounds or Wellington Harbour.

Weather is a bit unpredictable at this time of the year.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:14 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

One thing, in case you are'nt told, is to make sure that any bags (if you manage to take the 74 kgs) weigh less than 32 kgs. If its more they will make you redistribute the weight for the aussie baggage handlers.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:44 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

i rang them direct and they were brill...nothing was too much trouble for them.
good luck
was'nt trying to scare you about the ferry...it was fun really,in a titanic sort of way.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies

Change of plan we are now thinking of flying to Christchurch and picking up a hire car for a week, as we will need one to start with when we arrive in Nelson prior to buying a vechicle. We have been quoted £546 each via Travel bag flying with Air New Zealand.

Still no luck trying to contact Nz Air Direct.

But to throw a spanner in the works quite fancy flying Buisness class ......Well we deserve a bit of pampering after all the stress of the last few weeks!!! (Don't we??? )
Any thoughts???

Tori
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:54 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by TIZUS

Change of plan we are now thinking of flying to Christchurch and picking up a hire car for a week, as we will need one to start with when we arrive in Nelson prior to buying a vechicle. We have been quoted £546 each via Travel bag flying with Air New Zealand.

But to throw a spanner in the works quite fancy flying Buisness class ......Well we deserve a bit of pampering after all the stress of the last few weeks!!! (Don't we??? )
Any thoughts???

Tori
Ouch !! The prices can be pretty scary, but if you've got the cash, why not eh !

I've flown first quite a few times on short haul flights (after asking for an upgrade). The difference is huge, so for a long haul flight the comfort would be very pleasant.

20 hours in one seat is a nasty experience...if you can afford it you may aswell make the best of it
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:55 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TIZUS

Any thoughts???

Tori
Wouldn't bother with business class. I have done long-haul many times so maybe I am used to it though!

Save the money and pamper yourself properly when you have recovered from jetlag.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Checking out prices for Buisness class

Will keep you posted!!

Tori
Old Jul 4th 2003, 10:24 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

if i remember right they said we could go business class for around 2000 pounds each.....yep,its worth it if you have the passengers from hell.I just grinned and stuck it out and spent the savings on coffee in NZ......Still am doing