Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ - First selection under new Skilled Migrant Category

NZ - First selection under new Skilled Migrant Category

Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ - First selection under new Skilled Migrant Category

On the NZ immigration web site the first selection criteria has been announced....

The first, preliminary selection of Expressions of Interest under the Skilled Migrant Category took place today.

The selection point was 195, meaning Expressions of Interest with 195 points or more will now undergo preliminary verification to determine whether an Invitation to Apply for residence can be issued. If your Expression of Interest was selected, you will shortly receive a letter confirming your selection.

The selection point is set prior to each selection. It is based on the number of places available in the Skilled/Business stream of the New Zealand Immigration Programme, the quality of Expressions of Interest in the Pool (as indicated by their point scores), and the total number of Expressions of Interest in the Pool at selection time.

In total, 126 Expressions of Interest were selected, representing 371 people (principal and secondary applicants). At the time of selection, there were 2137 Expressions of Interest in the Pool.

Expressions of Interest in the Pool that were not selected will remain in the Pool for three months from today. They will be withdrawn if not selected during that period.

Selections will be held fortnightly, meaning Expressions of Interest not selected today will have further chances to be selected.

Seems with high scores like these, many will go over to look for work or look at alternatives Oz & Canada
Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Rob&Marisa is an unknown quantity at this point

They`re taking the piss with 195 points!

There aren`t going to be many Nurses with that number of points .....Looks like the NZ health Service is going to have a crisis!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

nzpenguin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rob&Marisa
They`re taking the piss with 195 points!

There aren`t going to be many Nurses with that number of points .....
There arent going to many anybody with pts. like that.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

sven37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oh dear......

we were just told this on the phone last week, no mention of the points being so high though.....

Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

bsmith1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Those amount of points are probably awarded to people that are already living and worrking in areas outside of Auckland and also have NZ degrees and doctrates as well as possibly spouses with the same and also about 8-10 years experience ,also near the younger age groups ect. Well fair game to those, let the NZ immigration sort out the applications of people that are already there-thats only fair, and also why not pick and choose hey? (and make money out of the process-they are smart hey?)

I am having trouble logging in and phoned up NZIS and they rekon that I'm not the only one. Any of you had the same experience-PLEASE let me know as somehow this can't be right.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:04 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

can't see 195 sticking long, must just be the opening salvo
Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:06 am
Just Joined

hectashouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ - First selection under new Skilled Migrant Category

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
On the NZ immigration web site the first selection criteria has been announced....

The first, preliminary selection of Expressions of Interest under the Skilled Migrant Category took place today.

The selection point was 195, meaning Expressions of Interest with 195 points or more will now undergo preliminary verification to determine whether an Invitation to Apply for residence can be issued. If your Expression of Interest was selected, you will shortly receive a letter confirming your selection.

The selection point is set prior to each selection. It is based on the number of places available in the Skilled/Business stream of the New Zealand Immigration Programme, the quality of Expressions of Interest in the Pool (as indicated by their point scores), and the total number of Expressions of Interest in the Pool at selection time.

In total, 126 Expressions of Interest were selected, representing 371 people (principal and secondary applicants). At the time of selection, there were 2137 Expressions of Interest in the Pool.

Expressions of Interest in the Pool that were not selected will remain in the Pool for three months from today. They will be withdrawn if not selected during that period.

Selections will be held fortnightly, meaning Expressions of Interest not selected today will have further chances to be selected.

Seems with high scores like these, many will go over to look for work or look at alternatives Oz & Canada

195!!! jesus, even a skilled professional, working in an area of shortage is gonna struggle to meet that! my partners a teacher, and even with a job offer the most points he's gonna get is 175 (according to the points calculator on the imm website). I thought the whole idea of the EOI was to winkle out professionals in areas of need?? seems like yr only chance of making those kind of points is if you have a phd (gained at a nz uni) and your whole family already lives in nz and are prepared to sponsor u!

might have to rethink nz if the points are gonna be that high
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

reevsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Between my wife and myself, who are both professionals in our respective fields, we can get up to ~185pts depending on when I get a job offer where this will be etc...
Seems that they are after phd/research qualified persons whom have studied in N.Z.
We are also starting to look elsewhere to migrate to. Second choice could be either canada or oz. see how its goes. My sister is going to Perth and wants us to go there, could be on the cards if things dont change.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

bsmith1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can any of you log on to your online service area?

Thats all I want to know.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Rob&Marisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bsmith1
Can any of you log on to your online service area?

Thats all I want to know.

Yep! Just done it now!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't be too concerned. They are just testing out the system and raising the bar to 195 will give them exactly the small selection they need to confirm it works or not.

Once they are happy they will switch to production mode and lower the level to a more realistic number.

They intend doing selections every two weeks starting early March so early days.

Demagraphically, they need you guys as it is an ageing population and without immigration the population will contract.

Seriously, don't worry.

Last one out switch the lights off ; -)
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

hectashouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
I wouldn't be too concerned. They are just testing out the system and raising the bar to 195 will give them exactly the small selection they need to confirm it works or not.

Once they are happy they will switch to production mode and lower the level to a more realistic number.

They intend doing selections every two weeks starting early March so early days.

Demagraphically, they need you guys as it is an ageing population and without immigration the population will contract.

Seriously, don't worry.

Last one out switch the lights off ; -)

LOL..i think you must be right-they can't possibly hope to attract enough of the immigrants they need otherwise. am considering other options ie canada-def NOT oz...all those spiders..urghh..
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:06 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hectashouse
LOL..i think you must be right-they can't possibly hope to attract enough of the immigrants they need otherwise. am considering other options ie canada-def NOT oz...all those spiders..urghh..
Like others have posted this has got to be a one off.

I know its hard and frustrating but try to relax.

It will settle down, it as to, virtually no-one is going to be getting those types of points. Well we didnt and thats with being on the POL, job offer, outside Auckland ect. We get around 155-170 depending on our strict they are
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice
Default Re: NZ - First selection under new Skilled Migrant Category

Hi all

I've posted this message in other places, then found this thread and thought I should copy my comments here.

>>>>>

This would be one of the few times any Govt Department in NZ has taken the time to test (and amend) what they are going to do.

The frustration is in how long it's taking them to do it, but at least it appears like they want to get it right. Would you rather they went off early and got it all wrong (has been known...).

Anyway, 195 points can come from any combination, but as an example it's:

2 yrs skilled employment in NZ,
current job offer (of course),
growth area industry,
outside Akld,
basic quals in the growth area industry,
10 years relevant experience with
2 years in NZ in growth industry (as in the first line),
comparable labour market,
aged 30-39 with
English speaking spouse.

I think they will have set it this high so they can verify people who are accessible in NZ to test their systems, tehy might not be ready yet to try verifying the overseas job offer holders. You are after all "over there".

And after that, they'll get down to looking at ones without jobs, still overseas.

The fortunate or unfortunate thing is that you can get a triple whammy effect if you are already working in NZ - you get first line, second line, seventh line and eight line all adding up (comparable skills enables points for work experience).

This is HEAVILY stacked in favour of the already employed in NZ. For a starting point that's how it should be - satisfy the ones who have legal rights of appeal in NZ.... Once NZIS run out of these people, the marks will come down so they can process the overseas holders of job offers.

But check the logic, 126 people per fortnight = 3276 applications, or about 9,631 total people.

Remember that skilled/business is to accout for just under 2/3 of all approvals = about 26, 000 people to come under these categories.

If you divide 26,000 by 2.94 people per application, and again divide by 26 fortnights, the usual dip will tally around 344 applications. And there is a backlog built up with 2137 in the pool.

(Stats show that people in NZ with job offers are less likley to have kids, it's the overseas applicants without job offers who have bigger families). Expect these ones to be further down the queue as NZIS would rather have higher percentages of working age people per application.

Most of the agents I know already ahve most of their pending cases in teh system, so not much many more pending cases to come, then we'll be at normal flow levels.

Let's assume that 1/3 of these 2137 are not eligible because of points errors or misrepresentation (other countries...), then it will take 1400/344 = 4 fortnights to catch up.

Allow a few more dips to offset residual demand and another few dips to get on top of cases lodged between the first dip and the two months it will take to catch up, and I think you're looking at four to five months before points really start to come down.

Anyone outside NZ without a job, get over here and start looking if you want to get here quicker.

If the current dip are as bad as the other unchosen cases for points miscalculation, then once NZIS get a handle on it they'll enlarge the pick to compensate for overzealous points tallies and points will come down faster.

LTBV and Investor have taken a hammering and never were in the high thousands, so it's all up to SMC to make the numbers.

That's the rub. Given that immigration is a political issue, will the Minister and NZIS want to see maximum numbers coming in and risk getting caned in public (if yes, the dips will get bigger faster).

On the other hand, if they want to take bit of heat out of the economy, they'll only let the fortnightly volumes go up slowly (saying p*ss off to the desperate employers). Ain't politics fun????

Latest update is that about 1/3 of these first drawn applications have hideously wrong points being claimed.

There are about 7,000 logged on cases, not necessarily signed up and entered into EOI pool.

Good luck, and patience be to thsoe with 130 or less, a few months will see you through.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

venrichard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How bout Work Visa/Permits instead of lodging EOI?

Under the current scheme, fact is that an EOI without a job offer is a mere waste of an applicants money. Based on my own calculation if I do get an NZ job offer then I have around 175 points only. Why bother gambling on an EOI which is so uncertain, when a Work Visa/Permit is more stable?

Besides, if I already have a Work Permit and is settled well enough in NZ the odds of having an approved EOI will be in my favor.

Problem is that NZ employers are keen only to "those with the right to work and live in NZ". Citizens from nations without Visa waivers are hopeless under this sheme.