Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ cars - diesel or petrol?

NZ cars - diesel or petrol?

Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:24 am
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NZ cars - diesel or petrol?

Last time I was out in NZ, I noticed that diesel was much cheaper than petrol. So why isn't everyone driving diesel cars? Are there some other factors such as high servicing costs, hard to get parts or tax penalties that mean it is more economic to run a petrol car?

I was intending to get a diesel when I move out but then started to wonder about it.

Cheers,
Chris.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:29 am
Just Joined

silv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

There are quite a few diesels around but mainly 4WD and Utes. There is an additional tax on diesel and you have to buy diesel kilometers which gives you a tag on your windscreen a bit like the road tax one and entitles you to drive so many Kms before having to renew it. I am not sure of the cost as I do not have a diesel myself but have been told that it works out about the same as petrol. Personally just adding the tax to the price at the pump would be a bit more simple!

I am sure someone else will be able to give you more details.

cheers

Silv
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:30 am
Re-Member

Originally posted by silv
There is an additional tax on diesel and you have to buy diesel kilometers which gives you a tag on your windscreen a bit like the road tax one and entitles you to drive so many Kms before having to renew it.
That is just the sort of info I was after - Many Thanks!

After a bit of probing the, RUC (Road User Charge) for diesel cars (sub 2 tonnes loaded) works out at 2.474 cents/km

A quick search for km/litre figures turned up a BMW SUV thingy that does 12 to 14 litres/100 km. Doing some sums to compare litre for litre prices, the RUC for this vehicle adds around 20.6 cents per litre on the fuel price.

This still makes diesel look a lot cheaper, esp. as a smaller car would have a better litre/100k figure. So I gues it comes down to convenience. Having to make sure you have the RUC licence must be a little bit of a pain.

Cheers,
Chris.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:39 am
Re-Member

Originally posted by me
...esp. as a smaller car would have a better litre/100k figure.
Hmm, I messed up there. The more kms/litre your car does, the
more RUC you pay per litre!

So, the more efficient your car, the more your fuel costs!
Seems a bit arse-about tit to me.

Chris.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Chris H-L
Hmm, I messed up there. The more kms/litre your car does, the
more RUC you pay per litre!

So, the more efficient your car, the more your fuel costs!
Seems a bit arse-about tit to me.

Chris.

Thats because you pay RUC per distance not per litre. Dont do the sum per litre, do the sum per 1000kms of travel, ie what will it cost for diesel and RUC charges for 1000 kms vs what will it cost for 1000kms in a petrol car.

That way at least you will also be able to show that a more efficient car will work out cheaper for distance travelled.

I have a petrol car, most cars seem to be petrol, and I dont really want to be bothered with the RUC either.

PS. Of course it is perfectly possible that things are arse about tit in NZ in any case
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldnt advise buying a diesel vehicle for a family car. they have less power for same size engine as petrol, theyre noisier,smellier and they cost a whole lot more for major engine repairs. Might be Ok for a commercial vehicle as the cost of diesel is quite a bit less overall(about 20 - 30c per litre) even including the diesel vehicle tax on Km travelled(I think its about 12c per km )although youd want to make sure you get a good vehicle to begin with. You will also pay more for the vehicle to begin with, maybe 1 - $2000 more on a $10,000 car