Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is NZ better than the uk

Is NZ better than the uk

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I am sure that you could get a place thats looks OK in Christchurch for very little money. But would you want to live next to the MongrelMob gang house?

Maybe they are nice neighbours but I would imagine there parties getting a little tiresome after a while?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

moose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
I am sure that you could get a place thats looks OK in Christchurch for very little money. But would you want to live next to the MongrelMob gang house?

Maybe they are nice neighbours but I would imagine there parties getting a little tiresome after a while?
Hi WOS just read your post and having recently watched a t.v. program on the subject of the Mongrels just thought I'd ask what the situation is regaring this lot? Are they prevalent in certain areas, and are we likely to encounter them during everyday living?Also, are there areas where they are more numerous/active than others, especially as you mentionChCh as this is where we'd like to settle?(Also fancy Dunedin)
Cheers
Moose
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

They are on the news from time to time but you are unlikely to hear to much about them down here. They are mostly in the North Island as that is the area with the most Moari who tend to be the members.

Down here you do have gang houses like the one near Jade Statdium and one in Addington, etc but you never run across anything connected. Thats why I made the analogy, they could theoretically be anywhere. It's just a place where a group/gang of people meet up...

I wouldn't worry about it at all... unless you happen to be livng next door and want a good nights sleep?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

moose is an unknown quantity at this point

They are on the news from time to time but you are unlikely to hear to much about them down here. They are mostly in the North Island as that is the area with the most Moari who tend to be the members.

Down here you do have gang houses like the one near Jade Statdium and one in Addington, etc but you never run across anything connected. Thats why I made the analogy, they could theoretically be anywhere. It's just a place where a group/gang of people meet up...

I wouldn't worry about it at all... unless you happen to be livng next door and want a good nights sleep?
They haven't heard my kids yet
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am sure they wouldn't draw all over my fridge in felt-tip pen either, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on where in Christchurch it is. If you want a nice area with reasnable views, etc then you will pay. If you want to live on a housing estate or road with nothing special then obviosly it isn't as much but still not that cheap relatively.
Based on what I found on that one property site, there was plenty to choose from in all areas across a range of prices, the vast majorty under $400 per week, the majority under $350 and many under $300.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alot of the property sites don't keep them updated. Maybe there is more available now but from my 'real' experience, when we arrived in NZ last April, we had a right game finding decent rental property for less then about $400 pw in the Mt. Pleasant area. I beleive things did settle doen shortly after due to Sars, but I don't believe the prices came down too much.

You will get property for less then $400 pw, but not DECENT & IN ALL AREA. However, what is DECENT is up to debate anyway.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Alot of the property sites don't keep them updated. Maybe there is more available now but from my 'real' experience, when we arrived in NZ last April, we had a right game finding decent rental property for less then about $400 pw in the Mt. Pleasant area. I beleive things did settle doen shortly after due to Sars, but I don't believe the prices came down too much.

You will get property for less then $400 pw, but not DECENT & IN ALL AREA. However, what is DECENT is up to debate anyway.
I agree wholeheartedly, if you want to live in a reasonable area (talking Auckland here), say in Birkenhead, Takpuna, Titirangi, Pt Chev, Howick, and you want a 3/4 bed house that has a modern kitchen and bathroom you can pretty much be certain of paying upwards of $400 per week.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is NZ better than the uk

Originally posted by wolkediane@aol.
Is New Zealand better than the UK?
Finding honest opinions is difficult!
Whats it like for children?
Any one with experience of moving?
Is it better?
To know that you have to know why you want to move? What we hated about UK were things we couldn't control Goverment, EU, Taxes, House Prices, Immigrants!!! etc.

We are financialy better off here but is that just because we paid the bills off before we left UK?

Don't let anyone tell you NZ is just like England but hotter...that is sooooo not true it is a different world and you will unfortuantly have to see for your self...

if you want to know about any specifics....
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jueinnz
Is it better?
To know that you have to know why you want to move? What we hated about UK were things we couldn't control Goverment, EU, Taxes, House Prices, Immigrants!!! etc.
Sounds like everything NZers complain about. I bet the farmers wish they were in the EU.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by bondipom
Sounds like everything NZers complain about. I bet the farmers wish they were in the EU.
nar they have silly rules like bananas have to be a certain size, NZ farmers would never measure up!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:29 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

nar they have silly rules like bananas have to be a certain size, NZ farmers would never measure up!!!!
How is the NZ Banana industry?
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
How is the NZ Banana industry?
no bananas...they have funny green round things that taste of nothing and no-one actually likes but they don't admit it cause its a national icon???????????
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

I agree wholeheartedly, if you want to live in a reasonable area (talking Auckland here), say in Birkenhead, Takpuna, Titirangi, Pt Chev, Howick, and you want a 3/4 bed house that has a modern kitchen and bathroom you can pretty much be certain of paying upwards of $400 per week.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:35 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it better?
To know that you have to know why you want to move? What we hated about UK were things we couldn't control Goverment, EU, Taxes, House Prices, Immigrants!!! etc.....
I wonder how the Maori's feel about the control of immigrants such as the likes of you. I mean, they are pretty well out numbered now aren't they?
The only control in NZ should be on whinging Poms

I have yet to experience living in NZ, I am off to Wellington in April. OK, its no paradise island as what some like to believe but it has so much going for it and except for big city living can offer something so most people. ....it is really down to perceptions and expectations. For one you may have forgotten how crap the weather in the UK is.

I stopped posting on the site for a while because I thought the NZ bashing was too much. Seems as though things have got worse. I mean, its all about opinions but too many here seem too bitter and it can do without the wannabe Aussies like Bondi Pom having a dig as if he is on some kind of self justification.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.