British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is NZ better than the uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nz-better-than-uk-202322/)

wolkediane@aol. Jan 13th 2004 5:31 pm

Is NZ better than the uk

Is New Zealand better than the UK?
Finding honest opinions is difficult!
Whats it like for children?
Any one with experience of moving?

xpat19 Jan 13th 2004 5:35 pm

Well after being in West Auckland for two and a half years I can say that I wouldn't want to return to the UK , there are a lot of good things about NZ that we love,of course there are also not so good things too and it took around a year before myself and son felt really settled although husband loved it and settled in straight away.
Son was 10 when we moved and was made to feel very welcome at his new school . He was a bit of a novelty for the other kids I suppose, they had lots of qustions for him and were very friendly.
If you have any more specific questions please ask !

Pollster Jan 13th 2004 5:38 pm

As someone's signature succintly puts it - same shit, different bucket.

:D

I don't know whether anyone could say to you that it would be better for you - life in NZ is different - some things are good there and some things are not so good.

Obviously many people think life is going to be better there overall, otherwise they wouldn't be going.

We leave for NZ in five weeks. We are hoping we love it and we can make our lives and future there. But until we go, no amount of research, talking to people etc etc will tell us how it is going to be for US.

My advice - go and see for yourself - for a holiday at first.

wotwots Jan 13th 2004 6:31 pm

Re: Is NZ better than the uk

Originally posted by wolkediane@aol.
infinitely;)

jandjuk Jan 13th 2004 6:52 pm

depends on your viewpoint in life....

try and imagine the UK but with only 4 million people instead of 60 million.... (and with a few more mountains and a long way from anywhere except australia)

ie less of everything, good and bad.

so the aforementioned bucket still has the same shit in it - just less of it....

so less traffic, but also less roads (so at times there's still a few traffic jams)

'less' crime.... but per head of popn the same as the UK.....

more space - but less shops

etc etc etc

for me it is 'better' in some respects, worse in others.... but I love the relatively untouched nature of the environment

bondipom Jan 13th 2004 7:34 pm

If you like big cities with plenty of action forget Auckland. I am sure it is great for kids but once they graduate they might want to work in a field that NZ does not offer. Like lots of Kiwis they will head for Australia or London never to return.

A country with a population the size of Sydney or half the population of London just does not have the same opportunities.

Have a look at the NZ cost of living thread as no one so far has mentioned the lower wages, UK cost of living and small choice. For a those that like NZ the lower level of materialism is a good thing.

Final thing to remember is the weather is very distinct from Australia. If you like rain and humudity try Auckland.

chris@insurance Jan 13th 2004 8:40 pm

As someone's signature succintly puts it - same shit, different bucket.
Too funny...and all too true.

My experience between the UK and NZ is as follows:

Although I've never LIVED in the UK, I've spent quite a bit of time traveling there for work and holidays and I have a very positive impression of the UK. I would have to say London IS the center of the known universe in the same sense as New York City. It's hard to find a more exciting and vibrant place anywhere on this planet.

On the other hand, New Zealand is a 180 degree difference...even our largest city Auckland pales in comparison to such a cosmopolitan city as London.

I think comparing the two is like comparing apples with oranges....which tastes better? Depends on who's opinion you ask....I think it comes down to personal preference.

My choice is to live in Christchurch, NZ(weather here has been fantastic this summer.....sunny nearly every day...averaging about 25 degrees here on the beach)......and eagerly look forward to the holiday trips back to the US and UK for my fill of the excitement of the "Big Smoke".

Don Jan 13th 2004 8:50 pm

Say what's important to you and your family and I'll give plenty of honest opinions.

For children - NZ is probably better in most respects for younger children, maybe much older kids or university age youths might be better off in a larger country if they want the best that education can offer though NZ is no slouch.

wotwots Jan 13th 2004 8:51 pm

Just think what would you do to the UK to make it perfect and see what you come up with. The result will be interesting.

Grayling Jan 13th 2004 9:05 pm

I do not want to upset anyone but I am sure this will.
I have never been to a place as soul less or as bleak as New Zealand.
I have only been to the South Island as a visitor but was terribly disappointed.The scenery was OK but nothing like the Rockies.
Christchurch and Queenstown were completely sold out to the Japanese and even posted prices in Japanese as well as employ japanese staff.
They even tried to rip us off in shops and restaurants and we are English:mad:
There was very little wildlife and I could not live there.
I was maybe disappointed as I thought it would be more like Australia.
I have no desire to go back.
Sorry but thats how I found it.

G

wotwots Jan 13th 2004 9:13 pm

Originally posted by Grayling
I do not want to upset anyone but I am sure this will.
I have never been to a place as soul less or as bleak as New Zealand.
I have only been to the South Island as a visitor but was terribly disappointed.The scenery was OK but nothing like the Rockies.
Christchurch and Queenstown were completely sold out to the Japanese and even posted prices in Japanese as well as employ japanese staff.
They even tried to rip us off in shops and restaurants and we are English:mad:
There was very little wildlife and I could not live there.
I was maybe disappointed as I thought it would be more like Australia.
I have no desire to go back.
Sorry but thats how I found it.

G
The scenery was ok:confused: shit mate -you need to visit the optitains:eek:

Grayling Jan 13th 2004 9:15 pm

I said the scenery did not compare to the rockies and it doesn't.

G

wotwots Jan 13th 2004 9:20 pm

I said the scenery did not compare to the rockies and it doesn't.

G
Depends what scenery you saw on your trip.
Rockies are different
Do they have Glaciers running down into subtropical forest?

Grayling Jan 13th 2004 9:23 pm

No but at least they have got trees.

G

wotwots Jan 13th 2004 9:26 pm

No but at least they have got trees.

G
take it you didnt do the west coast then